• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1991 940 se speakers?

So I'm trying to replace the front drivers and door speakers I just assumed they were all 6.5 on the doors and didnt know where to look for the front drivers without measuring them and almost pulled the trigger but now taking a second look I realize they're smaller so does anyone know the deminsions and some decent pioneers or other speaker that would work as far as aftermarket

I'm guessing the same as 1990 760 and 1992 960 door speakers. Thinking the standard 5.25 inch speakers with offset pattern. The front and rear may be mixed 4 ohm and 8 ohm depending on the system. The 850 had some 5.25 rear door woofers that are 4 ohm , but have the same offset pattern.. The dash speakers are also 8 ohm.

The largest speaker that will fit will be a 5.25 speaker and you'll need an adapter plate to mount speaker as the mounting points are not standard. You can mount a 6.5 speaker but it will look ugly and you won't be able to use the stock grille. I found these adapter plates on car in a junkyard. That is 5.25 pioneer speaker and I don't have a driver side grille but I do have a picture of passenger side with grille mounted. If you have junkyards with old Volvos, you can find good speakers on 88-90 760s or 92-940 960s usually.

48435165746_b24be4a2d8_c.jpg

48435165596_cf418db506_c.jpg

If you mount the speaker on the metal door panel behind the door panel, you can fit 6.5" speakers. It takes a bit of grinding but no biggie.

Don't use speakers from 1991. That stuff is junk now.

I found some alpine 6" for super good pricing does anyone know if I can screw it in the door without. Buying a bracket maybe point me in the direction of where the bracket is on amazon or something

You can't just bolt it in. I have never heard of a Volvo adapter bracket for that purpose. If you are looking for what White855T has, you should read his post again. He is not using 6" speakers there. Just buy 5.25" speakers and drill new mounting holes in the door.

To get speakers larger than 5.25" I remove the door panel, fit the speaker in the hole, cut out whatever you need to, make marks where you need to drill new holes, makes sure the window still goes up and down, see what has to happen to make the speaker sit flat, etc....

A 7/9 series grill is 6.25" tall. You will have to use the grill that comes with the speaker with those adapters so it will look a bit off, but whatever.

Alpine Spe-5000 5.25" 2 Way Pair of Car Speakers Totalling 200 Watts Peak / 50 Watts RMS https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ME3FKO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_k5ZNDb22HSSTQ

I found those as well they're a little bit more pricey than the 6" I'm just not real sure why replacing speakers in a car is such a hassle lol
Usually it's always just been uncrewed and bolt in and if it didnt work use self tapping screws
Put some rtv in it and call it a day
I've seen 6"where people just cut the top and bottom of the speaker bracket to get the stock speaker grill over which yo me isn't that pogo of a deal
I just wanna k ow what I need and if itll be easier to just mount 5.25 over 6"
Is it because the magnets are bigger
I'm just curious on if someone can lay this all out for me

The main issue is the diameter, and that Volvo didn't use the aftermarket industry standard bolt pattern. % 1/4" will be by far the easiest to mount. Magnet depth is not a problem until you get into high powered speakers.

Back