• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Guess the year of this engine !

Alright guys it is.....

Going to be the heart and soul of my new 16v build. Going to the church now to get it baptized and blessed before it all begins.

1986!!!

I feel like the 1986 740 Turbo DID have a watercooler turbo. I forget.

Bring your breaker bar and 24mm socket and make sure the engine spins before you buy it. Looks rusty...

We'll when the old man up the river from me sold me his 1986 744 water cooled t3 turbo stock original M46 car with factory LSD rear, real LSD with 425k thousand on it for 300. I had to fix a few things then I sold it, but it ran great! Shoulda woulda kept it but how many junkers is too many junkers? Trying to say this is the way and it's the only way it was isn't gonna work, never does..

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vyLP59ch2Dc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Car also had the rare back side glass with the screens etched into it.

Last edited:
Spins super smooth. It sure looks like garbage but I can't say my engine didn't when I first bought it.

Maybe the 1986 model is some super reliable variant ? Maybe I hit the holy Grail? Crank up the boost? Maybe the internals are already forged ?

Close but the one with all forged is 1984 b23ft came in the 760 turbos of that year. One year only. Forged crank, rods and pistons stock. I had one, ran 12.61 in the quarter mile with it. What I did was over revv it and turned a rod bearing. Motor only had 35k on it. I still have the motor just need to slap some new bearings and maybe some lighter H beam aftermarket rods. Those stock b23 rods are heavy..

I've got the 13mm big boy rods which have already been blessed by our neighborhood rabbi.

Something you should get straight before you get too deep..

9mm rods= unbelievable pendulum swing from previous M rod "diesel escapee" rod to horrifyingly weenie rods

13mm rods ; merely embarrassing re-do but still weenie rods.

If you're going to all the trouble of the 16v manifolding at least get some GOOD rods

Something you should get straight before you get too deep..

9mm rods= unbelievable pendulum swing from previous M rod "diesel escapee" rod to horrifyingly weenie rods

13mm rods ; merely embarrassing re-do but still weenie rods.

If you're going to all the trouble of the 16v manifolding at least get some GOOD rods

okay okay I'm not sure if that was a plug but I'll look into it. Might be the best idea if I want to make some FAT power

Back