• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cosbysweater's Turbo LS 244

Yea the trans I installed slips like hell. I'm hoping it's the converter but I'm fearing I may be spending a huge chunk of change here in the next few weeks

Status update! Another junk 4l80e!!!!!!!!!!! So much fun. Great this sucks, I'm hoping it's just this budget converter I got

Holy crap, that sucks.

Coming from aircooled VWs with glass transaxles, I was really excited to get into a car with a bulletproof drivetrain (stock V8, Chevy auto, 8.8 Rear end...) so that I could just do fearless burnouts whenever I wanted. But it looks like that's not necessarily the case, unless you spend bank on a transmission. $3K or more for a built 4L60E, which is still not guaranteed to last, which puts me right back in the same boat!

I looked into the 370Z 6 speed, and while one can be bought for around $700, it takes $2K in adapter parts to get it to work with an LS engine.

What to do...

they're not really that hard to rebuild, just run through one and put in GM HE frictions

158605310.jpg

they're not really that hard to rebuild, just run through one and put in GM HE frictions

158605310.jpg

I've watched a ton of Youtube vids, and read tons of opinions on the parts to install...
It's not that intimidating, and I'm certainly capable, but I wouldn't know how to put together a matching set of aftermarket parts. Does anyone sell a nice kit with all the stuff you need (corvette soleniods, 3/4 frictions, etc etc) There are a lot of options, and everyone has a different opinion about what works.

I've watched a ton of Youtube vids, and read tons of opinions on the parts to install...
It's not that intimidating, and I'm certainly capable, but I wouldn't know how to put together a matching set of aftermarket parts. Does anyone sell a nice kit with all the stuff you need (corvette soleniods, 3/4 frictions, etc etc) There are a lot of options, and everyone has a different opinion about what works.

yes, Jake Shoemaker does. He has a stage 2 kit that has all the goodies in it.

this is the one I'm using in mine
http://shop.jakesperformance.com/4L80E-Stage-2-Rebuild-Kit-JP-S280RBK.htm

the only gotcha I ran into was the stupid OD seals. If you get the blue trans assembly lube, it's stickier and you can use a small piece of looped wire or something similar to tuck the seals into the drum. or pay a trans shop $15 like I did (and then watch him do the same thing, dammit. lol)

the only gotcha I ran into was the stupid OD seals. If you get the blue trans assembly lube, it's stickier and you can use a small piece of looped wire or something similar to tuck the seals into the drum. or pay a trans shop $15 like I did (and then watch him do the same thing, dammit. lol)

Thanks for the link Kenny, I have a trans table at work and I'm going to go through the first one I smoked. Hopefully I can save it. The fluid looked like gear oil. Haha

Holy crap, that sucks.

Coming from aircooled VWs with glass transaxles, I was really excited to get into a car with a bulletproof drivetrain (stock V8, Chevy auto, 8.8 Rear end...) so that I could just do fearless burnouts whenever I wanted. But it looks like that's not necessarily the case, unless you spend bank on a transmission. $3K or more for a built 4L60E, which is still not guaranteed to last, which puts me right back in the same boat!

I looked into the 370Z 6 speed, and while one can be bought for around $700, it takes $2K in adapter parts to get it to work with an LS engine.

What to do...

Yea or you can buy a unknown t56 and get pissed off when it grinds, they are a bitch and a half to rebuild. I've done one. Never again

Yea or you can buy a unknown t56 and get pissed off when it grinds, they are a bitch and a half to rebuild. I've done one. Never again

My vote would go to a RS5R30a out of a NA Z32 300zx. Good for easily 700rwhp, can be had for less than $300 working (dig a little), and with the LS adapter flywheel/BH mount ($600), it uses a stock 300zx clutch, PP, and TOB making it relatively painless. The Ratios also aren't terrible for the V8. Total about $1000 + driveshaft for the conversion.

That, or go with an AR5 out of a Solstice. Another cheap alternative that can handle abuse. Just have to use an AX15->LS adapter, and look up the rest on a Chevy Colorado LS swap, since they use the MA-5, a regeared AR5. Also about $1000-1500 for everything.

What to do...
I'm not seeing that. CD009 trans, saw off most of the existing bellhousing, bolt on the adapter plate, then use a stock LS bellhousing, flywheel, pressure plate, etc with it?

Or, you know, a better clutch, to suit the HP, but you'd need to do that regardless.

EDIT: Oh yeah, custom shifter of some sort to put it in the right spot

Do you know of someone like that who sells kits for the 4L60E? I know it's weaker, but I only have a stock N/A LQ4 in my car, and I don't want to bash the tunnel up. I just want to drive it around and do burnouts sometimes on my pizzacutters, not hardcore drag racing.

Nope nope nope.
I want to avoid that at all costs, which is why I'm trying to steer away from just stuffing another used CL 4L60E in my car.

I'm not seeing that. CD009 trans, saw off most of the existing bellhousing, bolt on the adapter plate, then use a stock LS bellhousing, flywheel, pressure plate, etc with it?

Or, you know, a better clutch, to suit the HP, but you'd need to do that regardless.

EDIT: Oh yeah, custom shifter of some sort to put it in the right spot

http://collinsadapters.com/index.ph...dapter-with-11inch-lsxto350z-clutch-disc.html
I ticked all the boxes (bellhousing, clutch, pressure plate, etc..) and got to $1600. Add the shifter, trans mount, driveshaft, and whatever else might be needed I'm sure it'll surpass $2K. All that to get a used Nissan trans into the car.

My vote would go to a RS5R30a out of a NA Z32 300zx. Good for easily 700rwhp, can be had for less than $300 working (dig a little), and with the LS adapter flywheel/BH mount ($600), it uses a stock 300zx clutch, PP, and TOB making it relatively painless. The Ratios also aren't terrible for the V8. Total about $1000 + driveshaft for the conversion.

That, or go with an AR5 out of a Solstice. Another cheap alternative that can handle abuse. Just have to use an AX15->LS adapter, and look up the rest on a Chevy Colorado LS swap, since they use the MA-5, a regeared AR5. Also about $1000-1500 for everything.

All awesome ideas. I'll do some research, thanks!

http://collinsadapters.com/index.ph...dapter-with-11inch-lsxto350z-clutch-disc.html
I ticked all the boxes (bellhousing, clutch, pressure plate, etc..) and got to $1600. Add the shifter, trans mount, driveshaft, and whatever else might be needed I'm sure it'll surpass $2K. All that to get a used Nissan trans into the car.
Those are not adapter parts, those are just LS parts. It will run a lot of money if you want them to supply you with a bunch of brand new LS manual trans parts.

http://collinsadapters.com/index.php/swap-kits/lsx-to-350z-370z-vq-transmission-adapter-plate.html

$450 and:
You need the bell housing from 1998-2002 Camaro
You need the LS1 flywheel from a 1998-2002 Camaro
you need the LS1 Pressure plate from 1998-2002 Camaro
You need the T56 slave cylinder from 1998-2002 Camaro

You're going to need an LS flywheel and an LS clutch setup regardless of what transmission you put on.

Those are not adapter parts, those are just LS parts. It will run a lot of money if you want them to supply you with a bunch of brand new LS manual trans parts.

http://collinsadapters.com/index.php/swap-kits/lsx-to-350z-370z-vq-transmission-adapter-plate.html

$450 and:

You're going to need an LS flywheel and an LS clutch setup regardless of what transmission you put on.

Seems like all those LS transmission parts are pretty pricey used, too.

And I'll probably **** up somehow and order the wrong part, because of some obscure detail. Find out the bellhousing I got cheap on ebay is actually for a French LS powered tractor and was only available for 2 weeks in 2005, but can't be used at all for my application because the bolt holes are French holes which are different. LOL

Status update! Another junk 4l80e!!!!!!!!!!! So much fun. Great this sucks, I'm hoping it's just this budget converter I got

Update again, changed the torque converter out to a stock unit and again, found the same issue. So either there is a internal leak or the trans is junk. So long story short I'm buying a gearstar for this car tomorrow and I'm going to be rebuilding one of the cores I have and keep it for my other car that I am going to be late swapping for the ziptie drags

Update again, changed the torque converter out to a stock unit and again, found the same issue. So either there is a internal leak or the trans is junk. So long story short I'm buying a gearstar for this car tomorrow and I'm going to be rebuilding one of the cores I have and keep it for my other car that I am going to be late swapping for the ziptie drags

Damn dude, that's horrible.
Let me bring mine over and we'll rebuild them both. I'm dying to try it but I don't have suitable workspace.

Back