• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Need help with first start megasquirt 1

Reece

Hi there. This is my first post and my first time megasquirting anything. I'm looking for some suggestions for first start, tuning, ECT. So far I have ms1 v3.57 wired in as the instructions showed. I have also followed the instructions on dig auto tune for the board modifications. I am running the bosch 124 module and the Chrysler dizzy (I believe. It has a round plug). I have a b21 block with b23 heads and intake, I don't recall what cams I have (whatever was in the b23) with a 90+ turbo manifold innovate wd 02. I have never tuned anything. And I'm mostly looking for advice. I have read the "all you need to know" and also the "k jet to ms a basic guide" I have also read I need a pull up resistor for the dizzy? And the bosch module?

What firmware? Also, you’re looking at the Bosch ignition setup for an MS2, not an ms1.

If using msextra firmware, DO NOT use the mega manual, use the msextra manuals.

Where can I find the firmware? And could you send me a link for the bosch module? All the ones I found where wired the same way.

Is it working? Or are you just asking for 'pre-advice'?

Is your laptop/whatever you're using for tuning successfully connecting to MS?

Yes my laptop does connect and I get readings from my sensors. As far as I can tell that end is working. I will check the firmware when I get home tonight. Some pre start advice would be nice, like setting the base timing. Starting a fuel and ignition map. Or loading up a base map? That sort of stuff. Plus any advice that might make this process a bit easier.

Yes my laptop does connect and I get readings from my sensors. As far as I can tell that end is working. I will check the firmware when I get home tonight. Some pre start advice would be nice, like setting the base timing. Starting a fuel and ignition map. Or loading up a base map? That sort of stuff. Plus any advice that might make this process a bit easier.

My advice is to read the manuals before trying to start anything. Then read them again before asking for help. Then post specific questions on msextra before you break something.

Generally you should make your own maps.

If you search the MegaManual, you will find a link to an on-line Ve table generator. This will give you a good starting place for the Ve table and you can use your O2 sensor to adjust the Ve values to meet your target AFR values. As to ignition timing, I suggest the best place is to look at the stock ignition advance versus RPM and MAP and try and replicate that as a starting point. The Megamanual has some suggestions on how to fill in the table based upon the stock ignition advance. Optimizing the full load ignition advance and the AFR target values really requires time on a dyno to measure the effect of ignition timing and AFR values on output.

I'm not sure the early distributor has the hall sensor in it. Pop off the rotor and check.

Tuner Studio provides a default "MAP" when you start a project, you should use that. Go through all the settings and see that they are correct for your install.
Using a "base MAP" is like wearing some one else's dirty underwear. You don't know what kind of cooties are in them or where they came from.
You will be back asking why Joe Bozo's MAP won't run on your install. Hopefully you don't damage anything with incorrect settings.

Use only the Extra manual with Extra firmware.

Print out the manual pages that apply to your install to make it less daunting.
You can make notes on them as well.

Either distributor will work I think the Chrysler is a VR type. Post a picture of the innards?

Follow the installation wiring diagram directly for best results.
I hope you did not buy a relay board, they suck, I'd return it and exchange it for a harness.
The 5 high number grounds should go to the motor.
Your LC-2 does not have a signal ground lead, DO NOT connect it to the pin 7 sensor ground, ground it to the body or the motor.
Also as shown in the wiring diagram power the LC-2 from the fuel pump relay, this is to prevent noise from the LC-2 and to not power the LC-2 when the motor is not running.
Make sure there is no continuity to ground on pin 7 of the harness with the MS unplugged.

Verify you have either high or low impedance injectors and make the matching install changes needed.
Get the injector dead time specs right and the ReqFuel as any changes to them later will require a retune.
Before trying to start it calibrate your sensors and do a sanity check.
Check spark timing with a light and verify it is steady idle to red line. (VR sensors may need the leads reversed)

Get the paid version of TS "auto tune" is a blessing.

Last edited:
I will get a picture of the dizzys guts tonight. I know there are 4 windows in it and when the engine is turned over I get a steady 5v with a 12 v spike when the window is closed (if I recall wired that up a few months ago) I am running high impendence injectors their the bosch 155 831 or orange tops (I don't need resistors for those correct?) And no relay board no fast idle valve.

Hall sensor, 3 wires, 1 power 1 ground 1 signal

So it puts out 5v on and off (ignoring the spike)?

No resistors needed on high impedance injectors.

You could use a bosch thermal fast idle air valve. (I think MS1 will do that)
Or a canister purge valve will kinda do as a fast idle valve (on-off).

Back