• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rare Volvo parts that you have!

16V_RSport.jpg

If that engine came in 240 originally/from the factory, and in the 240 named 240 RT...It is pretty rare.

But is it one of them?

Last edited:
NO WAY <caps>

No, Wayne.

I got this motor from Wayne Baldwin, former Volvo exec who worked in the R-Sport department and rally raced 140's & 240's. It was a backup motor for the 242 rally car that was never used and presented to him upon his retirement. Here's a press release from 1981 that describes the engine in detail. They even went so far as to select extra thick blocks so they could be over bored a "couple of millimeters" and lighten & "nitrate toughen" the rods.

RSport16ValveEngine.jpg

There's some trick parts on it like the heater pipe delete plug in the water pump, the aluminum hose barb/block off plate instead of the breather box, the smaller single groove crank pulley and the rev limiting rotor that's set for 8000 rpm.

RevLimitingRotor.jpg

I also got pair of used 48 Solexs and another new pair attached to manifolds & soft mounts to allow the motor to be layed over. That's 6 48mm Solex ADDHE carbs. The intake bolt pattern is identical to the B234F head, the exhaust is not but I've already had a mild steel flange cut by a TB member and a stainless one is in the works. :-D

B234FHeadR-SportManifolds.jpg

Plans for the motor are for it to go into my old circle track race car chassis (the one in my sig), slap an 1800 body skin on it (the wheel base is a perfect fit) and go land speed racing. El Mirage dry lake is only a 2 hour drive and the SCTA holds 6 events a year there (weather permitting) as well as 2 week long events at Bonneville. I don't think I'll have the car ready for this year, but who knows. I'll try to set a record in the NA class before I go turbo so I can get some experience and sort out the aerodynamics 'cause I don't want this to happen to me. He just broke 200 mph the day before and was trying to back it up (I was there when this happened and he's in the same class I'll be). Rear end lift combined with a rough course were ultimately deemed the cause of the crash.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/McJJeukIWSA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back