• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hydraulic TOB w/ Kennedy Stg2?

EivlEvo

Squad...

I'm just sick of screwing around and I'm weighing my hydraulic clutch options.

I have a 93 245 that's T5 swapped and I have the Kennedy Stage 2 PP in there. This PP as you may know uses spacers because it's built for some dogdish VW thing but it runs on our flat FW.

If I went hydraulic TOB, I can't imagine I would have any issues with this setting up spacing? I know not too many people are running this setup, but figured I'd ask.

Otherwise I can grab a wilwood master (so I can mess with bore sizes because this pedal is stupid heavy... no doubt why I keep breaking cables) and the stock M90 fork and the M4X slave... but if I have to yank the gearbox anyway... I dunno... harsh me.

I'm running the same set up.

I haven't decided on a slave cylinder yet. It will be nice to have no fork to bend.

Jordan

Most hydraulic release bearings recommend and 3/4” bore MC to start out with. It seems to work well.

Most hydraulic release bearings recommend and 3/4? bore MC to start out with. It seems to work well.

I meant more the stack height in the bell housing. But it just seems like they have some insane adjustability so... maybe I'm off my rocker.

I was actually even thinking of going down in bore size to make the pedal lighter etc. but I need to do all the maths and find the proper TOB.

That’s definitely a valid concern. The smaller the diameter of the TO bearing, the lighter the pedal will be.
The Ford t5 TOB bearings are a pretty large diameter. The 52mm Tilton one is great, but will probably require you to shorten the TO bearing sleeve on the transmission (as the smaller tilton beaing has a small ID).

Setting up spacing is very easy. I like to remove the trans, but leave the bell housing attached. Then you can make accurate measurements for setting up the TO free play.

That’s definitely a valid concern. The smaller the diameter of the TO bearing, the lighter the pedal will be.
The Ford t5 TOB bearings are a pretty large diameter. The 52mm Tilton one is great, but will probably require you to shorten the TO bearing sleeve on the transmission (as the smaller tilton beaing has a small ID).

Setting up spacing is very easy. I like to remove the trans, but leave the bell housing attached. Then you can make accurate measurements for setting up the TO free play.

I had to cut the bearing sleeve on mine to clear the clutch forks but it is a non-issue with hydraulic. The bearing doesn't ever move on the sleeve, so you really don't need much of it.

There are also some of them that actually replace the bearing retainer with an integrated hydraulic unit. I haven't used one, but they look nice.

On the Tilton unit I have spacing is set with a threaded sleeve. The instructions they provide tell you to set it up based on some basic measurements so you don't have to take it in and out. I didn't have a problem doing it that way.

As far as master cylinder size, Tilton customer service set that up for me. I just called them and gave them some measurements, they advised the size. I think? I'm on 13/16"

Back