• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Bang for buck 940 redblock tuning .

Of those 14 years ive been a member nearly 10 .everything I've suggested has originally come from this forum or from trying it myself , I'm not saying this is the only way to do it , what im saying is here is what ive tried and succeeded there is always more than one way to skin a cat . This is how I skin mine.

:yawn:

an arbitrary list of garbage that may or may not get one where they are going

Without a discussion of why.

For instance, why should I replace a perfectly functional OEM headgasket to make 300bhp?

Why does 200bhp require a camshaft? (pro-tip: it doesn't. It also doesn't require a turbo change nor does it require a cone filter)

actually after reading closer, I've come to the conclusion that your info is comical at best and wrong at worst. This is possibly one of the worst written articles on page one.

Your opinion is noted , ive tried to use the following posts to answer any queries and update the thread as appropriate .

Yes, Oh pee.

incidentally (to pick hairs, if you will), oh gee also was the last to respond, so one could still conclude that was the target.

Oh P needs to do some more research from the vast amounts of data and knowledge gathered over the 14 years of this forum's existence, and maybe not rip off an old (ancient) article regarding staged mods (that, incidentally, is also out of touch with reality these days-see aforementioned data and knowledge).. At least the original gave some explanation as to the whys and wherefores.

You bring up a good point. A LOT of the juicy info in a LOT of the ancient archives is seriously dubious... Its what I call in strict sense "assertions"politely and mere unproven claims in straight talk. problem is there is an amazing number of lurkers and people reading and researching and a lot of them comb thru the info and then begin from essentially a worse point than if they din't think they knew anything--worse cause first you have to disabuse them of the various nuggets they believe in and mistakenly think they "know"...

I wonder what to do because there IS a lot of good detailed info..Details and dimensions and measurements and basic rebuild procedures...But so much flapdoodle.

What to do? Re-title things "Musings"? Or "One mans reflections"?

You bring up a good point. A LOT of the juicy info in a LOT of the ancient archives is seriously dubious... Its what I call in strict sense "assertions"politely and mere unproven claims in straight talk. problem is there is an amazing number of lurkers and people reading and researching and a lot of them comb thru the info and then begin from essentially a worse point than if they din't think they knew anything--worse cause first you have to disabuse them of the various nuggets they believe in and mistakenly think they "know"...

I wonder what to do because there IS a lot of good detailed info..Details and dimensions and measurements and basic rebuild procedures...But so much flapdoodle.

Exactly , but if more people shared what they have found or done , this forum would be a better place ,and people could make more informed decisions .

Of those 14 years ive been a member nearly 10 .everything I've suggested has originally come from this forum or from trying it myself , I'm not saying this is the only way to do it , what im saying is here is what ive tried and succeeded there is always more than one way to skin a cat . This is how I skin mine.

it may be info from this forum, but it's out of context and without explanation. If you're simply listing your own method I would suggest you keep it in your build thread.

a problem with 'visible evolution' (or in the case of tb, searchable evolution perhaps) is that while many things remain relevant, some reasons change; some things do change; better information is available as well as better explanations for things. But as all of this is available to pick from at any point, controlling (in as much as can be controlled) the flow of knowledge becomes complicated at best. It's good to know where you came from and why, but nuggets picked out of the past can be more damaging than simple wrong conclusions in the current.

I suspect this is what John is getting at: how do you seperate the wheat from the chaff? I'm quite positive I can search out things that I've tried and conclusions I've reached over the past 15 years and find things-probably numerous things-wrong, or outdated, or better explained and possibly done better by other people.

How is one to know what's good and what isn't? Well I wouldn't start by being close minded and brit-centric, nor would I start off quite so matter-of-fact and my way or the highway with something that is supposed to be helpful for the community at large. You're certainly entitled to your opionions and methods, I don't begrudge you that nor your ability to share those items, so that's where I'm coming from with my comments-they're not an attack on you yourself, but rather the product laid forth...

back to the how: probably best would be a discussion on the various points without getting hung up on what's behind the engine, along with reasoning for them.

Example: you recommend a 3 inch throttle body for higher than 300 hp. Why is that? Why not a in-manufacturer 65mm throttle body? There are plenty of people with larger engines making much more power with a basicbitch 65mm throttle body.

Why a V cam? why not a modern cam? You may say "because they're cheap", fine, but then I would posit that a T cam is cheapest of all and will get you past the 250hp mark. You mention big valves and ported head long before you mention upgraded intake manifold.

Even the swedes have long known that putting the b230f intake manifold back on a ported head essentially negates most-if not all-of the gains porting might have gotten you.

In short, as a person that's tuned dozens of different combinations of parts, it seems like you've cherry picked a few things here and there, and compiled them willy-nilly. I would also posit that while shooting for a specific number with regards to hp is better than "I want it faster", it doesn't really lend itself to goal setting with respect to this particular list-budget or otherwise. That seems kinda like saying "I want to run 20 pounds of boost" and the unspoken reason is "so I can brag to my buddies about running 20 pounds of boost". Marginally better would be to say "I want a 14 second volvo" or, "I want to make enough power to cut my laptimes at the auto-x by >insert time<", but then the responses to those goals are a bit more diverse (and kinda divergent at that point).

I've not concentrated on the why as all that info can be found elsewhere ,for want of a better phrase : use the search bar .
Cherry picked yes .
Try to concentrate on how to improve maybe instead of that massive text you could list what you would do ? Then people would have 2 options .

Last edited:
I've not concentrated on the why as all that info can be found elsewhere ,for want of a better phrase : use the search bar .
Cherry picked yes .

so again, your personal list, not really meant for the community at large-put it in your build thread. As posted, it really is nigh useless.

Exactly , but if more people shared what they have found or done , this forum would be a better place ,and people could make more informed decisions .

You discount the fact that MUCH, most even of what complete first timers "find" is nothing new, and that their inexperience very often leads to concluding wrong things about that which they believe they have figured out...And the sheer volume of mountains of noobs arguing about "how kewl is ziz I just discover which is unique!" buries good basic advice..

There was some guy who pororted to be a car guy in the past, and I know from how he wrote he was not a car guy, but his "persona' of a well versed, dad-like figure and complicated and elaborate descriptions of procedures impress many here..Pages of descriptions of break in prodedues---some many poor boys swallowed his advice whole and fretted and worried they had to do break in blah bal or they worried they were going to ruin their engines forever.
Upon questioning the guy said "I learned all the (vast!! Mountainous) things I learned from an old guy who was a boss for maintenance for LAs bus system in the 1960s"..

That obvious impressed many here..

Except in that statement was several hugely troubling points...

Just for fun do you see the (to me) GLARING trouble points?

Yep
My personal list useless to you maybe but I have a feeling if I posted a guide on how to turn water to wine you'd 'make' whine .

I'm not whining about your sorry ass post. I'm simply telling you that it's a sorry ass post unworthy of the 'article composition' heading. It would be most relevent in "Off Topic"

In addition to that, claiming solidarity under the TD04 act of turbobricks means this entire extercise is a waste of board space and traffic. So again, great that you've got an opinion on the order you should mod your car. Emphasis on you and your. There's a great sub-forum just for that kind of information. It's called "Projects".

This "all important list" you've plagued us with here, creates more problems than it solves and generates more questions than it answers. If you can't see that, I strongly urge you to hang the keyboard up and reflect upon it for a while.

I'm not whining about your sorry ass post. I'm simply telling you that it's a sorry ass post unworthy of the 'article composition' heading. It would be most relevent in "Off Topic"

In addition to that, claiming solidarity under the TD04 act of turbobricks means this entire extercise is a waste of board space and traffic. So again, great that you've got an opinion on the order you should mod your car. Emphasis on you and your. There's a great sub-forum just for that kind of information. It's called "Projects".

http://ak.5v.pl/wilno.html
This "all important list" you've plagued us with here, creates more problems than it solves and generates more questions than it answers. If you can't see that, I strongly urge you to hang the keyboard up and reflect upon it for a while.

thank you based kenny
Drake-6God.jpg

Last edited:
I would say the oh pee needs to check out this link https://www.hpacademy.com/
I have been a member since 98, and that doesn't instantly make me a pro at everything Volvo. Spend $100 for the starter package on HPA and fill that sponge with engine basics and tuning fundamentals. Will be the best source of info you will ever have to date, as well as pretty concrete info. I did it , I thought I knew a lot, found out- what little I did know. And .. I didn't get flamed the whole time i was learning. Do it.

I would say the oh pee needs to check out this link https://www.hpacademy.com/
I have been a member since 98, and that doesn't instantly make me a pro at everything Volvo. Spend $100 for the starter package on HPA and fill that sponge with engine basics and tuning fundamentals. Will be the best source of info you will ever have to date, as well as pretty concrete info. I did it , I thought I knew a lot, found out- what little I did know. And .. I didn't get flamed the whole time i was learning. Do it.

Thanks I'll check it , The key to enlightenment is realising you will never be truly enlightened.

So true

This article sucks... I stopped reading after you add cone filter in stage 0

These guys bring up great points, instead of being butt hurt just listen to the good advice here

Last edited:
if you feel something should be included note it and I'll try to edit it in [...] I havent included t3 variation turbos as I feel that they are too expensive

Lots of this:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nOpiqfOIOpM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not a lot of that:
80010981_01_l.jpg

I'm trying to adress a problem before it becomes one .
My friend, you are creating problems right now.

sometimes explanations leave people more confused.

This is one of the best case of unintentional apophasis ever!

what im saying is here is what ive tried and succeeded

I need a definition of "succeeded" here. You didn't even established goals/use of the car.

Yep
My personal list useless to you maybe but I have a feeling

You have a lot of feeling.

if I posted a guide on how to turn water to wine you'd 'make' whine .

And the cherry on the cake, messiah complex!

Lots of this:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nOpiqfOIOpM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not a lot of that:
80010981_01_l.jpg

My friend, you are creating problems right now.

This is one of the best case of unintentional apophasis ever!

I need a definition of "succeeded" here. You didn't even established goals/use of the car.

You have a lot of feeling.

And the cherry on the cake, messiah complex!

Wow , you guys really have the hang of the quote function .

Back