• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Gemo 240 clutch cables

100 bucks to solve a problem. Sign me up. But if it doesn't happen, I will just convert all my cars to a hydro clutch eventually.

I just spent 20 mins researching ordering the parts to make a cable from scratch. The crimp on ball ends are a little more than a buck a piece, the cable is pretty cheap, Mcmaster has some stuff, however these guys have clevises and housing and the other stuff, but no pricing. My guess is a one off cable, at mcmaster style pricing, provided you have a way to crimp the swadges, should be 40-50 in materials.
http://catalog.lexcocable.com/viewi...tock-coiled-steel-lined-bowden-bowden-conduit
http://www.lexcocable.com/balls-shank-balls.html
http://catalog.lexcocable.com/viewi...-grade-open-strap-clevis?&bc=100|1080|3001942
I bet with a little more looking, a guy could make one for less. Much less if you are ordering for 100 of them.... Easily better than the junk we got now and maybe as good or better than the gemo oldies....Not me, mind you but somebody could make them. I would buy one.

How metal coil sheathing lexocable can support?

okay, so what is the problem with these new lower quality cables? do they snap prematurely,or?!

The PRIMARY issue is that there are 2 lengths and they seems to be sort of random. One is much too short or long (can't remember which) and the other fits, but is SO tight to fit it's just a wrestling match.

I've also heard that their durability is suspect, but I've only broken 2 OEM ones (both likely 20 years old lol).

The PRIMARY issue is that there are 2 lengths and they seems to be sort of random. One is much too short or long (can't remember which) and the other fits, but is SO tight to fit it's just a wrestling match.

I've also heard that their durability is suspect, but I've only broken 2 OEM ones (both likely 20 years old lol).

Interesting. This particular one (which was bought directly from Volvo) was really easy to install. Took me 10 minutes(old out/new in) and still has some of threads left for adjustment, if needed.

Well I have 22 cars and will most likely buy many more, so what choice do I have?

Hydraulic all the things. 740 slave, Wilwood master, STS pedal, some -3 line, pair of adapters, M90 fork. I mean it's a fair bit more money but worth it on the cars that are likely to break ****.

Most of my cars are stock to modest hp, cable has better feel. I've never been a fan of hydraulic unless it's for something with a heavy clutch.

No. I did NOT do that. I snapped my OEM clutch cable (87 244) on a move from NY to NC. It snapped as we crossed into Maryland and I drove the entire way rev-matching with no clutch. Only had to blow 1 red light. Getting fuel was... interesting though lol.

When I swapped my 93 245 from auto to manual I sourced an ACTUAL OEM cable from 2manyturbos. I installed that. THAT cable just snapped and I HAD the stupid aftermarket junk on hand here to get the car rolling while I find another OEM cable. The ONLY REASON I purchased that aftermarket cable at all was because I searched on here and there were threads that said Gemo was quality cable. I only found out AFTER that it was garbage. In fact, I did an entire write-up about how they offer 2 part numbers and BOTH are that crappy cable, but they're different lengths and only one will work.

So GTFO with that I'm part of the problem crap. Part of the problem is when threads on this forum (and forums in general... ilu guys) have garbage asssss threads that are trying to get correct info out, and it devolves into nonsense.

HOW MUCH PSI A STOCK CAN SUPPORT!

Link to the write up?

All i am saying is the ,,new Volvo" cable was really easy to install and adjust. I have it installed only 6 months ago or so.. so i cant comment on the durability etc.

Well it is good to know that at least it installs ok. We know the durability isn't as good but if it gives some sort of a decent service life that is helpful.

I have been debating having improved clutch cables made for a while now and available as a standard product. I know everyone yurns for the OE metal shieved units, If I had some uprated units made with stronger cable, etc... would people be interested even if they dont look like the OG units?

I have been debating having improved clutch cables made for a while now and available as a standard product. I know everyone yurns for the OE metal shieved units, If I had some uprated units made with stronger cable, etc... would people be interested even if they dont look like the OG units?
Yes. I would! And to go a bit farther, a machined adjuster instead of the plastic piece (machined to fit a Ford T5 bellhousing if I am going to dream).
That said, having owned both cable and hydraulic clutches, both wear and can leave you stuck. The hydraulic did give me a little warning something was amiss though. I would prefer to keep my cable as that is the current setup. It works as was intended/designed.

The strength of the cable isn't the problem it's how well it adjusts and how smoothly it slides that are the issues.

From what i remember when adjusting mine is if you add too much preload on the plastic threaded part it just skips, right?

When people are snapping cables? What snaps? A low friction cable with durable housing is obviously a top priority.

Back