• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Steering Shaft

Streetkarnage

I spent nearly 5 hours last night trying to get my steering column/shaft on last night... have every part together apart from the last section from uni to steering wheel... is there some sort of trick to get this on that someone can share with me hahaha

240uj.jpg

I have all this installed but I just cant seem to get the last length on.:wtf:

DUnno if it is similar, but I had trouble with a MkI Rabbit some years ago. Turns out, it had collapsed slightly while I had it out. This feature was deliberate, better to collapse the column rather than the drivers' lung.

Is it possible yours has collapsed a bit too?

Swear a lot. And get lucky after a few hours of it. Its just one of those things that's hard.

DUnno if it is similar, but I had trouble with a MkI Rabbit some years ago. Turns out, it had collapsed slightly while I had it out. This feature was deliberate, better to collapse the column rather than the drivers' lung.

Is it possible yours has collapsed a bit too?

hmm I doubt it... I just pull this one apart as it hadn't been removed yet, slipped out and wouldn't slip back in haha

Swear a lot. And get lucky after a few hours of it. Its just one of those things that's hard.

I have done that a lot already hahaha **** sucks :(

2q3ws28.jpg

OP loosten up the fasteners holding the rack in place for some wiggle.

A little sexual lubricant on the splines does wonders!

You wouldn't expect her to give it up without a kiss..... :roll:

its not the rack end I'm having the problem with its from the top uni to the steering wheel

haha put on some lube but need to get some better stuff after work

You could try spreading the end with a pry bar or wedge a little while trying to get the splines started

yeah tried that Chance haha will just keep trying tonight... thought the could be a trick to getting it haha

Yeah I thought that was obvious but you never know :-P. Can you get the top joint started at all? Might be able to tap it on with a hammer gently and then put the rack input on. Seems like the rack side is usually the easier one to push on.

Back