• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Swedish state secret

Fpsthomas

Hello fellow volvo enthousiasts,

After breaking a m47 i made the decision to upgrade way up to the bmw gs5-39dz johnny's.

However, to save myself some effort: im looking for the bolt pattern of a redblock. The bmw box pattern is available. Only the redblock pattern seems to be the biggest swedish state secret on the world wide web.

Is there anyone that can help me out? Otherwise i have figure it out myself.

Thanks in advance, and ofcourse the final CAD drawing wil be opensource 👍

Best regards,

Thomas

Volvo Redblock engine to BMW gearbox adapter flange.

Our kit allows you to run Volvo B200xx or B230xx engine with bullet proof BMW manual gearbox. The kit is Plug and play to run the BMW gearbox.

http://www.abc-clutch.com/portfolio/volvo-b200b230xx-bmw-gearbox-adapter-kit

There are many adapter plates on the market, but ABCs are the only ones with centering pins, to get crankshaft center and gearbox input shaft aligned precisely. This guarantees that the multi disk clutch spline won’t be damaged caused by incorrect alignment. This is the same problem with Cut and Welded bell housings which during the welding will warp causing the misalignment.

Big huge secret...

Nice kit,

But can you send me the cad file since it's no secret?

Only looking for the bolt pattern of the redblock,

Sincerely, Thomas

I can take a redblock and lay it backwards on a piece of paper and then outline the rear bolt pattern with a crayon of your color choice and send that to you via USA mail. I do not do any CAD anythings so no I can not send CAD file.

Why don't you take redblock motor to CAD place and order them to make you free no secret CAD file???

To save yourself some effort why don't you just buy the already made adapter??

The no secret is you can buy bmw to redblock adapters already made...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the imput guys,

But i'm not really asking what i could would should. But im only asking if someone has the bolt pattern available for me.

Regards, Thomas

We don't. I've never heard of that BMW trans. Does it have a removable bell housing?

It's a bmw gearbox from the 3.0 liter diesels. Also available on 6 speeds. They're good for upwards of 1000 Nm. However they dont have a removable belhousing, thats why im looking to make a adapter plate and put it out on the web. I've found helpfull drawings here before such as the tps adapter for standalone ecu. Its nice to have stuff like that available for free so these projects stay affordable for everyone.

Thanks in advance

Most of the transmission swaps I have seen use an existing Volvo manual bell housing and adapt that to the new transmission. The Nissan 350z transmission swaps requires you to cut off the Nissan bell housing and use an adapter plate to fit the m46 bell housing.

You would be served best by looking at the different solutions people have already done with parts available. T5/T56, BMW Getrag, Nissan CD009, etc. In addition to the mounting to the b230, you also need to figure out clutch, throw out bearing, input shaft bearing, shifter location, drive shaft connection, brace, etc. Much of this has already been figured out.

If you are dead set on that transmission, then I think you need to figure out how to use the bell housing from the m47.

You?re looking at the ?cut and weld? transmissions the Swedish guys do, I take it?

2 problems with your plan here (and the reasons I decided not to get one shipped over for my whteblock project):

1) those transmissions were never available stateside. All BMW diesels here were autos. Have fun getting one here as they weigh a metric ****ton. Also, parts for BMW manuals are not available separately.

2) there?s a reason why they do the chop and weld rather than an adapter plate...the input shaft is not long enough to facilitate an adapter plate

And a 3) the gear ratios suck...you will need to run some very tall rear gear to make it work nicely as they have a 1:1 FIFTH gear, not fourth like most other transmissions.

Everything RvolvoR said is accurate. Up to you if you want to decide if it's worth the hassle or not.
Related thread with mostly just me rambling - https://forums.tbforums.com/showthread.php?t=333750 (I did actually end up running a few after posting that)

Sorry if this sounds like a "shill" comment but If I were doing it all again in current times I'd just throw some cash to Deeworks, pick up a JK40(C) and related bobbins and be done with it. Less to worry about in a few other regards too...
What OP is actually after at least; Nice.

Last edited:
I wouldn?t do a cd009 if my life depended on it. Trash gear ratios and it?s an absolutely massive and heavy transmission with a weird shifter position.

I share those complaints with the GS5/GS6/S5D gearboxes, mind. I was speaking more to(or from a standpoint of) availability, which of course also varies.

Back