• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

T5 mid-swap questions...

So wait... are we alleging that that setup with those spacers seems dangerous? Or are we just saying that when clutches let go they're going to tear your legs off?

Because the thing is... I'm not sure that the "case" part of the pressure plate, which is prob some stamped steel, combined with the glass cast aluminum bell housing actually offers much protection?

I mean... I definitely agree that the whole spinning disc made of slicy things is dangerous, but is the aluminum spacer setup really any more dangerous than a normal setup?

Genuinely interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

So wait... are we alleging that that setup with those spacers seems dangerous? Or are we just saying that when clutches let go they're going to tear your legs off?

Because the thing is... I'm not sure that the "case" part of the pressure plate, which is prob some stamped steel, combined with the glass cast aluminum bell housing actually offers much protection?

I mean... I definitely agree that the whole spinning disc made of slicy things is dangerous, but is the aluminum spacer setup really any more dangerous than a normal setup?

Genuinely interested to hear people's thoughts on this.
I wouldn't run that set up. It's probably not going to come apart, but it just looks sketchy with those long bolts and aluminum spacers. I like my legs to much to run something like that.

To me it seems that the problem with long spacers like in the picture is that the joint could yield or budge under stress, even when bolts are tight. Lifting clutch sharply with high rpm and sticky tires is the worst situation. Friction in the bolted joint keeps parts from moving and possible yield or vibration caused by the spacer reduces that. Wider spacer helps. If I'm anywhere near though.

Wider spacer helps.

That is what I was thinking. How much torque is there between the PP and flywheel? Half of the friction is on each...

The thing that bothers me most about that rig is the extended dowel pins. With all that space, the pins are not in shear. They are in bending mode with any torque load. Wider spacers would mitigate that.

That is what I was thinking. How much torque is there between the PP and flywheel? Half of the friction is on each...

The thing that bothers me most about that rig is the extended dowel pins. With all that space, the pins are not in shear. They are in bending mode with any torque load. Wider spacers would mitigate that.

The pins don't run the length of the spacer, there are 2 separate pins. I've had this setup for almost 6 months now, and it has been badly abused. My old Tilton triple disk was the same design, and top fuel clutches are fairly similar as well (they actually rely on the riser to keep the clutch plate lined up under load). I personally have no fear of running this style setup. I do however fear clutches coming apart, so I'm moving to an automatic this winter :)

I have a factory Viggen plate coming as well but...

1. The friction between the PP and FW seems minimal other than where it folds down to interface with a bolt no? (Maybe this is why you said wider is better) Also though... I feel that cylindrical is better and knowing that... you can only go so wide.
2. Those dowel pins are merely an alignment thing. Since there can be... "float" in all but the most well machined bolt setups I'd suggest that the pins probably play an extremely minimal role once it's all squared up and snugged down... then again, I have no idea wth I'm talking about so...
3. As has been mentioned... there are plenty of setups that seem to be run this way... what about scatter shields? I can't imagine anything exists for the M4X transmissions and I wonder if there's even room for one in there?

Yeah well, I was just talking out my ass anyway, as I have no familiarity with high-performance clutches. How can you argue with "many are out there and no known deaths or amputations"?

Yeah well, I was just talking out my ass anyway, as I have no familiarity with high-performance clutches. How can you argue with "many are out there and no known deaths or amputations"?

Haha... fair I guess. Maybe it still warrants discussion though. Isn't that what internet forums are for? Endless debates about nonsense that never gets solved and then eventually nothing happens?

Back