• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My (not so) short story about 744 and other volvo things.

wujek

Hi there :oops: My name is Mark, and I've been waiting long for my topic. I think, the time has come. Sorry in advance for my language, as I'm just easteuropean80'skid.
For over 10 years I'm connected with Volvo as I'm working at local volvo-store.
I had many FWD Volvos, but again THE TIME HAS COME (was it Beds Are Burning song?) for RWD one. And so it came. I found one on local ads for $800. More to mention is that as grown in communism kid those kinda cars were out of range for 95% of people out there back in a days (and for my parents neither). And so I was wanking to one of those volvo brochures every night. Of course it was in Germanish because it was brought to me by my dad's friend who smuggled cigarettes and jeans from Germany to Poland LOL :rofl::rofl:

dznhuuC.jpg

So down below I will continously try to write as much as I can about my 744 purchase and modding as this illness continues for almost three years. As a start - pic of "before and after" which is so loved by all girls watching tv-shows metamorphoses :rofl:. More details yet to come in following posts. :oogle:

pfWygQB.jpg

So it was stock '88 744 with b230f/m46 engine and LPG (1st gen - the simpliest where you adjust mixture by one screw on intake line lol.
Body was in quite good shape (at first look) and interior looked nice so there was only one right direction...

z5EBDDx.jpg

So it happened. On UK copart I bought '98 940 with b230ft and m90 gearbox with nice mileage - about 120k miles on it for...200 pounds ($300?). It was a little hit in the face but the most internals were okay, as well as a little gift - 1041 locker. Hell yeah. Good bad beginnings.

QzUyDrT.jpg

b4tOGls.jpg

5gPFdIa.jpg

SL1SxPu.jpg

vHxHGcF.jpg

Engine and drivetrain came out first.

iUxnhTo.jpg

Rest of stuff I sold for big wad of cash so both my 744 and engine with tranny were left for free :oogle:

Next step was to prepare engine for swap. Compression test was positive, so I decided just to reseal all the engine and clean it up. As first plans were without too much modding I swapped turbo from 13c to td04hl-14t, added vx3 cam and adjustable cam gear.

dkOcuCb.jpg

With little help of my friends we did a quick swap.

0bTR1mz.jpg

sTzShCn.jpg

EBTnJSR.jpg

nyWncFO.jpg

For the cooling I used brand new diesel cooler - biggest I could find. The intercooler is fmic with 2,5 inch in and out ports.

GeJl4MP.jpg

Next thing was the exhaust system - reading TB and other forums there was one choice: 3 inch stainless downpipe, 2,5 inch to the back and only one muffler on the ending. Well, it makes all kids awake in the area, but when I pull it to 6k rpms on third gear I refuse sex to my wife. :cool:

1ADb6tp.jpg

tCtkBcZ.jpg

While I was fighting with installing piggyback, wiring, adding sensors, etc. I gave all the suspension to powdercoat and ordered new oem bushings. Only front sway bar received and panhard bear received PU bushes.

IXUBlkE.jpg

Fqo7ZVB.jpg

As they say "the more power to accelerate you have, the more power to stop you will need".
So I started with 302mm c70 calipers swap, oem pads and discs, metal brake lines in the front.

NKSbzlJ.jpg

In the meantime I decided to give up eating, buying new clothes and feeding kids and got some nice stuff.

18' Pegasus replicas

ryDPUzm.jpg

Rear 90+ taillights with wirings from skandix.de.

FJBrXgg.jpg

And rear louvre...

E0LhWiY.jpg

While I was looking for some food and new tires I bought set of nice Arrakis wheels and H&R 30mm spacers. (And GLE chrome trims)

Cxj25Wp.jpg

:-D

When the disease continued and instead of driving I was thinking about more mods and parts I grabbed nice 531 head from my friend and KL racing valves, both intake and exhaust bigger than std - 38/46. I did the head-job :rofl: in local machine shop - new springs, seals, bigger seats, valves and surface.

55PgNfA.jpg

6DPFALG.jpg

oMG7JbZ.jpg

KzLmeT7.jpg

As the head was ready I was looking for some nice cam. The customs from US kills me (as I wanted ipd turbo or enem cam) I accidentally found D cam. There was only one small issue - it was non slotted..so probably from some motorboat :D hah! Okay, It is no use crying over spilt milk. Decision: I will go full SA with wasted spark and semisequent injection. I bought polish SA called EasyEcu - it has all I needed - built-in MAP sensor, afr, launch control, wasted spark, idle control, ebc control, coolers control and a few other nice options.
Yeah, few evenings for new wires, sensors, and so on :roll:

TBC...:oogle:

While the head was ready for bigger flow I decides to make a hybrid td04. Why? Beacuse it was direct fit for my dp and exhaust manifold.
Choice was td04hl-16t angled AND 20T cnc chinese blade plus 9 blade shaft. Those last two were bought from Ali****espress. I was a little afraid about their quality but when it came I measured and put on a scale. All seemed to be just fine. The weight is not as light as Mamba ones but the price is KING so...have a look below.

Compressor wheel. Genuine 16T vs Inconel China 20T. 39grams / 44 grams

Bjspg9U.jpg
U70FZov.jpg

Exhaust genuine shaft vs chinese 9 blade. 147grams / 134 grams.

K3dKHXP.jpg
hIekkEV.jpg

I machined the core and cold side to fit bigger wheel. I gave new bearing and seals for core. That was all I could do myself...local turboshop did a rebalance and check for leaks. All looks great, those little chinese hands still improve quality :oogle:

1KmRDdx.jpg

KLkxtsL.jpg

As it was ready to play, I installed it and moved on to....

...rear suspension and other stuff....

As the struggle became real I got double brake caliper adapter from Sweden, bilstein B8s, new discs and pads, adjusted panhard bar, and lowering springs made for my custom order at local spring-shop which prepares offoroad cars. They were little shocked that I want lower the car instead of lifting

:rofl:

CWkJe9u.jpg

While it was winter back then and the car stood in the garage I did some inside job - covered floor with antirost paint and added bitumic mats for adding a bit of comfort. Bought tons of plastics and replaced broken ones.

b6PxWNx.jpg

rkDCU1F.jpg

YoKrYKu.jpg

XU74I2c.jpg

As I was raised on F&F series I did some cool tune rice mod - cups for additional clocks on A pillar.

2lkCSnN.jpg

Meanwhile, Jonathan from swedishiron.com send me this little gift (for customs heads) package :D

MYGLBlP.jpg

I couldnt resist!!!!! (the turbo grill gave me my friend for free :cool: )

hzTJtCv.jpg

For my P2 v70 I was preparing summer wheels but my modder-soul told me to try it on. Nice, huh?

XLaSe2P.jpg

Going back to performance...I modded fuel pump to Walbro 255 and 440cm3 Bosch injectors. The package began being almost complete.

ucMxu3w.jpg

On the local scrapyard I got oil cooler adapter for less than 10 bucks. :cool:

Dg4aVvX.jpg

I must've forgotten about many things but in general this seasons setup was:

B230FT squirter block
531 head with bigger valves
D cam
adjustable cam gear
stand alone ecu with wasted spark ignitnion
td04hl20t turbo with 9 blade exhaust wheel
3" dp, 2,5" exhaust, one stainless muffler in the end
440cm3 injectors
walbro 255 in tank pump
2,5" silicones
k&n air cone filter
bpr6es spark plugs
bov
mbc
m90 gearbox
b8 bilsteins
hydro handbrake
dual calipers in the rear
front 302mm brakes
custom springs
and many more

The car runs at 1,7bar boost. It revs to 6200 rpms and pulls till the end. Injectors are at almost 90% efficency. AFR is controlled and safe.

what is next?
-alloy pulley wheel
-dog dish flywheel with kevlar disc (original is slipping already)
-kjet intake manifold and 3" throotle body

XEDHEIP.jpg

ERdx6X2.jpg

Status as of today:

Ar0K3Zy.jpg

More to come soon... :)

Nice car and cool to see a Polish Turbobricker! I visit your neck of the woods (Podkarpackie) a few times a year so if you need any little parts from the motherland transport may be possible to arrange. :)

That intake conversion looks familiar! I chose to stay with the 55mm throttle body rather than the larger 3" which you have used. How is the transition from idle with throttle just open? When I found out the 55mm would support up to 305HP, I chose not the larger version (several on TB warned me of "driveability issues from idle into transition". I'm also curious to know what throttle cable you used.

The balance of your engine looks very similar to mine in my 92 940..... except I have the AW71 and won't install the M90 kit that I purchased for it. Your sedan looks sweet...... nicely done and I'll follow your progress.

Does it run? "You bet your dupa!"

Nice car and cool to see a Polish Turbobricker! I visit your neck of the woods (Podkarpackie) a few times a year so if you need any little parts from the motherland transport may be possible to arrange. :)

Thank you! And always welcome in Poland! :)

That intake conversion looks familiar! I chose to stay with the 55mm throttle body rather than the larger 3" which you have used. How is the transition from idle with throttle just open? When I found out the 55mm would support up to 305HP, I chose not the larger version (several on TB warned me of "driveability issues from idle into transition". I'm also curious to know what throttle cable you used.

The balance of your engine looks very similar to mine in my 92 940..... except I have the AW71 and won't install the M90 kit that I purchased for it. Your sedan looks sweet...... nicely done and I'll follow your progress.

Well, I still dont know about idle and transition as I havent run it yet ( I mean after swapping intake manifold). This week I'm completing rest of intake parts and I'm going to install eveything together. Throttle cable is probably from some KJET version as it is longer about 5 inches than original b230f one. Bigger throttle body will help imo filling bigger manifold. What will happen, we'll see in a few days (unless it begins to snow - it's almost winter).

Nice to have feedback from such deserving TBer :D

Does it run? "You bet your dupa!

:rofl::rofl:

If once running the B21 K-Jet intake (perhaps also B230E in East Europa) you can always backwards adapt to the same bolt pattern 55mm TB (nominal 2.5" intake hose) if you source a 10V whiteblock throttlebody. I have the TB intake PN listed in my build; mine came from Lithuania. I'm going to presume you had an adapter flange welded to your intake to accept the nominal 3" TB and it's 4 bolt attachment flange. Post some pics of your assembly once you have it all together. Are you running LH or an aftermarket ECU?

Nice car! I would recommend not using the dog dish flywheel though, they have been known to explode when cracks form from heating too much due to slipping of the clutch and/or high revs. There are a few cases of this here on TB too, the pieces fly straight through the side of the car and frame rails. TTVracing in the UK makes a (quite affordable) billet steel flat flywheel that accepts an 850R clutch, that works with an M90. No risk at all of exploding with something like that.

If once running the B21 K-Jet intake (perhaps also B230E in East Europa) you can always backwards adapt to the same bolt pattern 55mm TB (nominal 2.5" intake hose) if you source a 10V whiteblock throttlebody. I have the TB intake PN listed in my build; mine came from Lithuania. I'm going to presume you had an adapter flange welded to your intake to accept the nominal 3" TB and it's 4 bolt attachment flange. Post some pics of your assembly once you have it all together. Are you running LH or an aftermarket ECU?

I'm running EasyEcu3+ - polish standalone ecu. As I wrote in introduction posts - it has wasted spark, idle control, corrections via MAP and IAT. To make it work I had to add TPS sensor, intake tempertature sensor, additional coolant temperature sensor and move from hall sensor to crankshaft sensor. It has built-in 3bar MAP sensor, as well as AFR interface - so I have wideband connected to it, and I can adjust corrections via IAT, CLT, AFR and so on. It also has launch control and a few other "extras". But still the best of it is that I got rid of this ****ty volvo AMM, ignition cap, lambda sond and ezk / ignition modules. Now it is really reliable car :)

Below pictures of my assembly. It is "raw" version, not painted, polished, etc. I assembly everything to check how it works and to make further improvements. This winter's plan is to take all stuff from under the hood, paint engine bay and make all details look shine and wanky ;)

rFtVyf2.jpg

9UBVIrM.jpg

oUKl2uw.jpg

R7mBN93.jpg

Nice car! I would recommend not using the dog dish flywheel though, they have been known to explode when cracks form from heating too much due to slipping of the clutch and/or high revs. There are a few cases of this here on TB too, the pieces fly straight through the side of the car and frame rails. TTVracing in the UK makes a (quite affordable) billet steel flat flywheel that accepts an 850R clutch, that works with an M90. No risk at all of exploding with something like that.

Ill keep that in mind, but I know at least two cars running kevlar discs with metal plates and doubled pressure plate on dig dish flywheel @m90 with no issues (cca 300ho cars). Ill have a look at TTV flywhell anyway. Thanks!

The B234 fuel rail works well with your intake. Only piece missing is reaction point mount at the FPR. My intake was welded up by NathaninWA and the rail mounted with minor D&T work.

Back