home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 05-30-2017, 11:28 PM   #526
doucheNozzle

Coming back together!
What bracing do you have for the manifold?

'95 850 T-5R - FailSedan
'04 V70 T5A - FailFamily
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:23 PM   #527
haltechsupra
Board Member

Its stainless steel, has a mild steel square tube to brace both the wastegate and turbo side load from t4 flange -wastegate flange, down to manifold mating to block flange. Having four individual runners helps support it as well. I need to run another brace from number four runner up to the side of the t4 flange, for front to back load , I reccon. Then I may do something fancy, like metal spider webbing for added strength, cred points :P

haltechsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:01 PM   #528
haltechsupra
Board Member

A few new things. More bracing on manifold as promised, along with a modified candle holder I bought off ebay-spider web, for theme points. New fuel door. New corner lens. New seats, I repainted , that were originally grey, I used "Angelus" paint , weight reduction on passengers side with manual seat. New door tray on passenger side. Added a piston and rod on back hitch, maybe, I can fit in the white block crowd now..Shes alive with thinner head gasket.Installed New Yoshifab crank gear and stickers. Drove her yesterday . Stalled it three times, relearning how to drive standard. Needs some re-tuning .Had some bolts come loose on flywheel, last week. Had me worried for a minute. Used new bolts, lock tighted the threads and head of the bolts, and shot em back in hard core with my 700ftlb impact. No cares. If they come out again, I will safety wire the dam things. Need to slowly upgrade other things like the intake manifold and the rear axle to 8.8. For now it's just slow motion, more break in miles, and see what breaks next. Now for the pictures.Last pic is of screw i put through the back side of both corner lens , after drilling a hole- to insure they don't mysteriously disappear again.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:08 PM   #529
haltechsupra
Board Member

Video of first start.

https://youtu.be/ag7gjk_GO2g?t=81
Old 06-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #530
haltechsupra
Board Member

https://youtu.be/Qxm6PxJnSoo?t=1
Old 06-20-2017, 03:06 PM   #531
Mueller
Board Member

Not my style of turbo placement, but congrats on getting her running! Sounds good.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:12 PM   #532
haltechsupra
Board Member

Regardless if people think it's stupid, or cool, the reaction is always a smile. Understood about turbo placement, to each their own! Thanks Mueller!

Those big back tires really go through sand effortlessly. So many people got stuck around us when we finally found a spot to park. I wasn't trying to throw sand on everyone , like most of the trucks and jeeps were doing, just taking it easy.

Fun tip for people that don't know. Always take a bucket and shovel with you. Soft sand is what you get stuck in.Most people forget to let air out of their tires to better grip the sand and widen the footprint of the tires. No big deal, but if you do get stuck, Dig front and rear tires out a touch, straighten front wheels, then put two buckets of water, in the direction you want to go-under each tire, and make a wet path. Wait a couple of minutes and it will come right out. Water hardens soft sand. I have used this trick, a few times , and jaws drop all around at the gazers , because it works every time. Just fyi from experience, being blessed , with being near many beaches.

P.s. Beach sand is the best fertilizer one can get. High in calcium from sea shells, and very fertile, because of fish pooh and death from the ocean. Use 1/3 parts sand (has to be cut), 2/3 parts soil, make 1/2 inch layer on top of potted plants so vermin bugs don't dig through to eat roots. I love growing stuffs and building stuffs. Pass it on!

Have fun and be safe out there!

Last edited by haltechsupra; 06-20-2017 at 04:23 PM..
Old 07-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #533
haltechsupra
Board Member

Fun little video with crappy phone, nice sound though. Anti-lag and fireballs out of my car last night. Louder than any fireworks around.

https://youtu.be/8C1IznKZDzY?t=17
Old 07-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #534
haltechsupra
Board Member

I bought a cheap dash cam off ebay. After 2 days the speaker broke and had horrible distortion. So i added a powered speaker from Frye's and wired, and soldered it in.I also did some customizing to the grille of the car, and added a shift light. Cant wait to upgrade this front end.

Last edited by haltechsupra; 07-05-2017 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: pictures huge
Old 07-15-2017, 10:55 PM   #535
haltechsupra
Board Member

Flame thrower.

https://youtu.be/KwQp_Ta2xog
Old 07-17-2017, 02:49 AM   #536
haltechsupra
Board Member

A pic Williamsven did for me from above video link on vlc. Details on how i did it , on the you tube video.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:34 PM   #537
haltechsupra
Board Member

Old 10-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #538
haltechsupra
Board Member

Yeah, still no dyno numbers. Ran a 2010 camaro 6 speed 6.2 litre LS3 that makes 426hp from the factory, plus the owner added a vortech supercharger to it and intercooler, exhaust and some others things (he twisted two axles at txt2k). He was at 6 or 7 psi. I was at 24.5. First time my ignition broke up a little bit and a few other lame excuses, but he was clearly faster, the second time i brake boosted in third gear and pulled him pretty good, until i hit fourth gear and broke the input shaft on the t56. He came back to make sure everything was ok. Real cool guy, real cool car. So here's the video , the carnage pics, and the pics of his build. Hes a tech at local ferrari dealer.

https://youtu.be/Mn8mBs-v030

My buddy Peter Showed up randomly as i was waiting for tow truck to take this picture.

New shaft is around 170 to 250 bux, then a new bearing and bearing cover. Very possible something was outta whack , or out of line in there. Will see when i disassemble it. Owner of camaro estimates power on his car between 500 and 660 hp.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #539
haltechsupra
Board Member

These dam concrete grooved roads are the devil. Every time i get on one, i break something. Look at the direction of the grooves.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:10 AM   #540
haltechsupra
Board Member

Here's the carnage pics.

100mph going into fourth-HARD, triple disc solid disc , unsprung. Not the best selection of clutch.Not the best driving technique for this setup. Gonna go with a AMP hardened 26 spline shaft , and new bearing case and collar for throwout bearing. Clear to see nose of input shaft is aligned perfectly to pilot bearing. Also clear to see that there was no chaffing on either section of broken input shaft to throwout bearing collar .Clutches are fine and aligned, no galling or anything suspect on splines. Input bearing into trans has no play and is fine. This was not a alignment issue. This was a intense shock issue. Possibly a bad shaft issue, the metal looks porous in some sections. Probably will put the other two matching wheels that are on the front of the car on the back to let the weak link be the rubber. Car hooks too hard with the 245x19. Obviously, one g80 later and one t56 input shaft later, both destroyed on a roll. Its pretty safe to say the car is motivated decently. I have yet to drop the clutch once from a standstill, or do a smokey burnout from a stop. From a roll i have done it a few times, but just from rolling into boost. Can't believe i broke this part. Shrug .
Old 10-12-2017, 04:00 PM   #541
BillyMaysHere
Board Member

Bravo! Also this is a award winning statement,

"Its pretty safe to say the car is motivated decently."

Sill been following this closely. Thanks for the detailed updates. You get **** done and are one stubborn bastard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
Was a sandals-and-socks elbow-patch-cardigan-wearing bearded college-professor 10mph-under-the-limit-in-the-fast-lane typical Volvo buyer from 1993 really caring about some sort of limited edition numbering?
BillyMaysHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:51 AM   #542
Vol242vo
Board Member

This is awesome. Impressive amount of power!
Old 10-13-2017, 01:17 PM   #543
cosbySweater
Board Member

How did you center the bell housing on there? It looks like it's been cracked prior to snapping off
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7665 turbo, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:56 PM   #544
haltechsupra
Board Member

I agree , it does look like it was cracked before snapping off. The bellhousing is a adapter made by borg warner for a lt1, using a t5 trans bell and 4 bolt bearing cover and throwout cylinder collar, bolted to the trans adapter plate.The shaft broke off two large chunks before completely breaking -it appears. The bellhousing was centered from Borg Warner factory, to the lt1 t5 bell, however a aftermarket t56 was crate ordered in 1993. This is the rare piece i have with a 2.97 first gear and 11.3 inch long input shaft from end to end.I am using the gm trans adapter i bought from the board here at turbobricks. So its lined up. Unless you guys have had issues with yours, which i have yet to hear of any. This trans has 10k on it in this car now. No chaffing or galling of shaft , no signs of misalignment wear on splines, nothing bent or misaligned. pilot bearing is still perfect, no hot spots. I am certain there wasn't an alignment issue. This is a issue of driver error, and own fault of clutch selection, for a very low rated torque capacity version trans. Now realized.

I have Done a ton of research the past two days to find out quite a few interesting things. One, there are so many misconceptions of torque ratings for t56. And , a few different versions. I have one of the first "pilot program" t56 versions , made in 1993, which came with two first gear options, one was a 2.97, the second had a 3.66. Both only made in 93. To complicate matters even more, the version i have was called an "aftermarket" one , meaning it was a crate ordered transmission, not designed for any specific car, so mine had the 2.97 first gear(and much longer input shaft) , rated to hold supposed limit of 400ftlb of torque. the 3.66 was rated at 350ftlb . The version i have has a 11.3 inch input shaft from end to end.Also has 29 tooth gear -ratio of 2.97. The stock one that came in the 93 camaro had a 8 inch total input shaft. So i have , the rarest of the rare version of the t56, and second weakest version overall. Then to add more insult to injury i added a nascar triple disc unsprung clutch, that is anything but soft and cushy, and the car hooks hard, as i had mentioned , many times. Soft rear suspension, battery in back, amp/ sub and alcohol kit, all behind rear tire helped a bunch in the grip of the car. Good weight transfer is key, soft cut springs in rear helps. I also have a 3.73 g80 locker , that i replaced after exploding the 4.11 g80 just 35 miles after i swapped in the t56. It snapped both spider gears completely in half and chucked them out the diff cover. That sucked.

So finding a replacement shaft has been a serious pita due to the rarity of this trans. But i finally found one at Rockland Standard Gear inc. Nearly triple the cost of the viper input, and less strength, but yay rare.. Ugghh. In order to upgrade this version of trans with a 2.66 ratio(31 teeth), with hardened shaft from AMP, i would have to upgrade three to six more gears to even fit the input shaft in the trans, which changes the gearing completely, in which i have become quite fond of.May as well buy a tr6060 after doing all that. This AMP shaft would beef the torque rating up somewhere around 500/ 550 ft lb (viper rating version t56). All of these input shafts have 26 splines, same as mine, but the length is quite different between them all, which makes for more issues. The bellhousing i am using is a standard borg warner piece that they basically cut a t5 trans bellhousing off a t5 and bolted it to a thick steel plate and bolted a center bearing cover to, with a throwout bearing sleeve. So that part was easy to find, ordered it and have it coming. Also have the 11.3 inch long standard input shaft coming from Rockland Standard Gear, brand new. With new input bearing and race. Trans Cover was simple to pull off and replacing the part is pretty straight forward. So in summary the next time you read on a forum that the t56 was rated at 600ft lb, question the version of trans, before excepting that at as fact, LIke i failed to do.SMH. My version appears to be a crossbreed between a m28 and m29 , t56 , the two weakest ones. But two most desired gear ratios. What makes them the weakest is diameter of input shaft,Output shaft, and the fact that the gears are thin, (not sure if that's fact, but its been mentioned on a few boards). The other main issue is the atf trans fluid will slosh to the back of trans during hard accel, and starve the front for lubrication. Some have added a electric pump to them and drilled and tapped a "squirter" to the front case right behind front cover to aid this issue. Other have run these same trans , and version in 1000hp cars with no issues. Its all in setup. Forgiving sprung clutch, forgiving tires, forgiving drivetrain. Nothing that my car car consists of honestly. I have Solid motor mounts, reinforced trailing arm plates, that broke and bent twice, big 245x19 tires that have soft tire tread compound,However not slicks type grip, decent weight transfer, decent gear ratios, and some torque, added with a screw ball driver that likes to drop the clutch in fourth gear. Because i got overexcited at pulling a car and a half on a 6.2 litre, 2010 camaro, with an added supercharger- through one gear ( and he has the tr6060 trans which is the way improved version of my t66, complete with reinforced center case and onboard pump lubrication system) this is the results i get. Truth be told my "freight train power peak gear" is fourth at 1 to 1 ratio, car really hums along nice. But i go into fourth around 100mph. So i was really looking to put the distance on him and got over zealous with fourth gear engagement. That's when it snapped the input shaft. I think i had already possibly cracked it before hand with harsh third gear and fourth engagement as you can see from the video, the first time we ran, i would have passed him in fourth, as i was coming up to him . The last time you can see him back there in the back glass.
Anyway, all that is just for fun and giggles.

My plan of attack, thanks to Rick Gentry, is to use a clutch slipper to help be more consistent, and help lessen the shock of the drivetrain, two birds. One stone. Check these two products out!

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%...tkFoCY_GzE10pS

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%...D4tAnnr5seXAw6

Two things i didn't even know existed until Rick linked it up on My "TurboWorld" Fb page. Two different ways of making sure i don't drop the clutch again shifting into third or fourth gear, without retraining my "Hard headed stubborn" self. Hindsight tells me i should have put an r154 trans in this car, as i could speed shift that thing and drop the clutch in all gears and it took it like nobody's business at almost 700 wheel. But this is what i choose, so i'm now married to making it all work, and so far its been a lot of fun. So i will beat this dog a little longer and eventually i will break the input again, and plan to put a gm auto back in it at that point. Then it will be even quicker, that's the hope anyway.No I'm not proud to break more ****. Shrug. It is what it is.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #545
haltechsupra
Board Member

Pictures and a text screenshot for laughs.

should i frame it?

Old 11-02-2017, 12:26 AM   #546
haltechsupra
Board Member

Old 11-02-2017, 12:49 AM   #547
haltechsupra
Board Member

Been a minute. New input shaft is working well. Replaced trans mount and welded up a better cross brace with my new welder , the top of the line "Vulcan" from harbor freight is most choice!
I Bumped the timing up in the higher boost levels, increased the boost as well, plumbed up the wastegate utilizing both ports. BEGI Intake Manifold broke four times, blew the welds off - three times at 15psi, then blew the second fuel rail brace off at 27psi. Got it fixed at "autobahn" down the street from me- by "Stoopid Fast". May dyno out there again soon. New Tires, and rims from ebay . 235x40x17 on rear, 215x45x17 on front. "Drift Fusion" rims. Quarter inch spacers on front with dimples pressed on strut tubes for extra clearance, replaced a front wheel bearing, will do other soon . I may add spacers on rear if i happen to be able to locate another set. Pretty happy with the car. Boost weather is great! I can't imagine building one of these animals , and not driving it everyday. Have found that 28psi is absolutely absurd, so brought it down to around 25. Time to seriously upgrade the suspension and brakes. Bent a front sway bar link, accidental slap wheelie may have done that, need alignment soon as result. On the fence about changing coil packs up for something else. I am getting alcohol in map sensor and need to remedy that issue , that has always been lingering. Added hid brights and lo beams, made a huge difference. Got em off ebay for 25 bux, h4, dual element, plugged right into e codes, with very minor mods. 6000 series, not super blue, but bright and blue enough. Love driving the car at night even more, because of the lights and blue exhaust flames, they match- oddly enough.Car show in two weeks at local Volvo dealer. Bought a v70 turbo awd wagon , a while ago. Will be doing a few mods to it , but nothing near as crazy as the widow.

Last edited by haltechsupra; 11-02-2017 at 12:57 AM..
Old 11-02-2017, 01:04 AM   #548
haltechsupra
Board Member

Old 11-02-2017, 01:15 AM   #549
haltechsupra
Board Member

"Stoopid Fast" went over entire Intake manifold , except the secondary injector bungs and holder pegs. After the third weld breaking on it at low boost, i felt it needed a more reinforcement all the way around. Here's the fourth blow out . The fuel rail holder broke. Not sure if from vibration, or from boost. The other welds broke from poor penetration. Sucks when a "non wear" part breaks multiple times in a few weeks .
Now that it's all fixed, I can say that intake, and q45 throttle body are the bees knees. Or should i say spider Legs. Shrug.

Last edited by haltechsupra; 11-02-2017 at 01:34 AM..
Old 11-03-2017, 03:31 PM   #550
BillyMaysHere
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haltechsupra View Post
Now that it's all fixed, I can say that intake, and q45 throttle body are the bees knees. Or should i say spider Legs.
BillyMaysHere is offline   Reply With Quote