• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1988 740 16v?

Thanks a lot swedbrick!! Very cool.

Progress is kind of slow as I have been busy with work.
What has been done:

I assembled the intake manifold/fpr/fuel rail.
Again a lot of cleaning, de-rusting and painting.
Injectors are siemens deka 875cc/min @3 bar. Should be plenty when running e98.
I will replace the front section of the fuel feed lines (filter to fuel rail) with 8mm hose, stock is 6mm.

I got rid of the rust on the fuel pump assembly.
After this I applied a coat of paint (no further pictures, I forgot!)
I installed the fuel pump (GSS342) onto the assembly, and used special submersible hose.
Also I installed thicker 2.5mm? wires with PTFE insulation.
I think for now I will be just running the walbro. It should flow enough fuel for the 1.5bars of boost I eventually plan to run.
If needed I will add a 044 clone in series.

Wastegate on manifold:
This is a "turbosmart" made out of 100% billet chinesium.
The quality and design seems OK for the money. It has a nice long valve guide so it should last a while.
One advice for anyone buying these:
You definitely need to disassemble these and clean all the aluminium shavings from the housing and diaphragm.
Also it is wise to use some 1000grit sandpaper to smoothen the valve stem, and lastly apply loctite to the screws which attach the stem to the diapraghm.
After disassembly I tested it, the unit functions well.

Today I made a start on the downpipe.
I made a small section between DP and turbocharger. When I decide to switch between turbo's I only have to change the small section.
The piping is 3 inches. It will be wrapped with insulation and I still need to add a connection for the wastegate outlet.

And yes, the straight section of the DP is made of 2 pieces, because I f&*ked up one cut. :lol:

Last edited:
@ Swedbrick: Thanks a lot for the hubcaps, I really appreciate it!

Exhaust.
Recycled the magnaflow from my old car.
This thing has surprising amounts of rust for a "stainless steel" muffler.
I still need to clean that. Other than that, I'm happy.
Also I finished the WG dump pipe(no pics), it dumps back into the downpipe.

And just because I think it's a cool pic:

Last edited:
Progress is slow, very busy with work.
Holiday starts next week and then I will hopefully be able to drive it soon.
What has been done:

Mounted manifolds and turbo "for real".
Made brackets for things like the coil, air cleaner etc.
Oil drain finished.
Charge pipes finished.

Still needs:

ECU and wiring
Radiator (parts store sent me the wrong part)
Fuel lines
Fuel pump assembly
Driveshaft
Crankcase ventilation
Elbow on waterpump

Thanks for the kind words guys.

What has been done:

- Installed 940 radiator and fan. Fitted 940 fan upside down for clearance with the water pump pulley.
- Made support bracket for the air cleaner
- Installed coolant hoses.
- Made a turbo oil drain. (18mm pipe from turbo, onto braided hose. Drains to stock location)
- Had water pump modified (many thanks to JW240)
- Installed wiring loom and ECU
- Installed fuel pump and new fuel pump wiring
- Installed new fuel lines from tank to engine
- Installed driveshafts and new support bearing

Still needs:

- Fan relay and wiring
- Heat shield for oil filler cap
- Tidy up/clean engine bay and all wiring
- A tune.... :nod:

A lot of work has been done and I do not have a lot of pics to show for it.
Anyway:

FakeSquirt ECU in glove compartment

Upside down 940 fan:

Made a mount for the bosch coil and welded it to the body. Coolant reservoir is also mounted (further away from the turbine), but this is not shown yet in the pics. Still need to tidy up all the wiring and repaint the valve cover.

Also test fitted my old wheels:

Took these to the coater, they will be dark silver metallic !
Also ordered some 245/40's for the rear.
The steelie idea is put on hold for now, maybe I will change my mind again.

And it runs:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MM8xRUY0n_Q" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Untuned, the thing already runs well. It already pulls well in low rpm, even with a fixed 10 degrees of timing. Next week I will drain the oil, change filter and start tuning.

One problem though, I need to press the clutch pedal all the way to the floor to disengage the clutch, and gear changing is hard. This needs to be addressed as well. No idea yet what the culprit is, pivot point was shimmed and the clutch arm angle looks good.

Last edited:
Bled clutch: didn't work.

Realized it had to be the clutch line, as the throwout arm angle is correct.
Stock volvo clutch lines don't mix with stiffer PP's.
Installed this and bled clutch again:

hel-01.jpg

Clutch is rock solid now.
Drove the car. Already drives very well, even with modest timing.
Turbo spools well.
It hits "full boost" at 2600rpm (wg opens at 0.3 bar) :rofl:.
Already pulls well.

No leaks! I'm very satisfied. Time to start driving and tuning.

I have the same s200(g?) and it is maybe going in with my 8 valve. I am excited to see numbers that you will get :) I am not sure tho if I use it or not, it would be nice to get turbo spooling same week when I press the gaspedal :)

They are very good units, from what I have read. There are a couple of variants, compressor size ranges from 50 to 54mm inducer, and turbine exducer varies between 56 and 65mm. Even the 65mm turbine is said to spool very well. I would certainly try it if I were you.

I have a couple of different turbo's which I might try after this. HX40 16cm with 56mm inducer. Should deliver a lot of power, wonder how it spools on this engine.

I just discovered your build thread. Very nice car! Gonna be an awesome ride when it will be finished.

They are very good units, from what I have read. There are a couple of variants, compressor size ranges from 50 to 54mm inducer, and turbine exducer varies between 56 and 65mm. Even the 65mm turbine is said to spool very well. I would certainly try it if I were you.

I have a couple of different turbo's which I might try after this. HX40 16cm with 56mm inducer. Should deliver a lot of power, wonder how it spools on this engine.

Hx40 is a common used unit in Finland. S200sxe turbos have "lots of" variants with their turbine housings, it would be nice to have info if the turbine housings would fit to these work machine units:)

Thanks Janspeed.

Hx40 is a common used unit in Finland. S200sxe turbos have "lots of" variants with their turbine housings, it would be nice to have info if the turbine housings would fit to these work machine units:)

Yes, this part number came from a volvo/deutz excavator. Turbine housing looks nice for our purposes: (still will give the HX40 a try though)

Part No:

Angle α (Compressor Housing): 21?
Angle ? (Turbine Housing): 356?
Back Plate: 167744 (166537)(1253200300)(304020003)
Bearing Housing: 56201500005
CHRA: 12707100007 (1270-710-0007)
Compressor Wheel: 10771232001 (Milled Aluminum)(Ind. 54.61 mm, Exd. 78.61 mm, 7+7 Blades, Super Back)
Heat Shield: 167997
Repair Kit: 318383 (318394)
Turbine Housing A/R: 0.76
Turbine Wheel: 168431 (Ind. 69 mm, Exd. 55.9 mm, 11 Blades)

I have been driving the car for the last few days, all is well.
Just some lifter tick on cold oil.

Got my wheels back from the coater and had the tires fitted.
245/40 in the rear and 225/45 in the front, Vredestein tires.
Payed a bit with the shock settings, handling is quite good, although a little tail happy.
Might delete the rear sway bar.

Pictures suck, as I have the cheapest, oil stained phone you can imagine.
Will try to get some decent pics, these don't do the car justice.

Also, I have some more electrical work to do. Have to switch the fan relay using a 5V ECU output, so I will use a transistor circuit for that.
In addition, driving without tacho sucks, so I made this: (yet to be tested)

9fdd9cc50c9609a1681ad3827abd1af9.gif

Next up: finish electrical work and install 302mm front brakes.

Last edited:
Nice work! Also running the Vredestein ultracs?

As for the swaybar, you could try getting a stiffer front 25mm ipd, I'm assuming you're at 19mm in the back:)

Indeed, Ultracs, good value for money. Might delete the rear swaybar, as it is already quite stiff.

Update:

I have been driving the car to work for a couple of days, things were going well and the car was driving well already, although I was still taking it easy.

One day I parked it at work, and 30 minutes later I get called by the security:

"Sir do you own a white Volvo?"
That is correct.
"You better get to the parking lot, your car is on fire. Fire department and cops are already there"

I went outside expecting the worst, but the damage is not that bad.

The oil filler cap caught fire because it is next to the turbo, and it ignited the bonnet insulation in the process. This started smoking and set of the security guys at work.

The fire guys ripped out the grill (snapping off the headlight clips), opened the hood, and started spraying powder and then water onto the engine.

They also disconnected the battery and loosened the alternator (?).

After work, I reconnected the battery, slapped aluminium foil around the filler cap, started the car and drove home. :rofl:

Anyway:

The black marks on the bonnet can be easily cleaned, already tried.
Also, I made a heatshield between turbine and valve cover. :rofl:
Please learn from my mistakes, I thought it "would probably be fine."
You do not want to risk your car or worse.

After the incident, I drove home with zero issues.
However, after starting it again it was running like crap!
Turns out it cylinders 2 and 3 were not firing.
Tested the ignition signal coming from ECU: everything OK.
Plug wires: OK.
Then I wanted to check the wiring going to the coil and found this:

This was a new connector, so the water probably caused this.
Cleaned it, still no spark at 2&3.

Then I got suspicious that I fried ANOTHER ignition module.
I tested the module, and the 2&3 channel is dead.

How does this guy keep frying ignition modules, do you ask?
Don't do this:

There are 2 notches on the module which cause a gap between heat shield and module. Oops.

New module ordered today.

On the up side:

- Cleaned/de-rusted the 302mm calipers. Next up: Painting.
- Idle control is working
- Fan is controlled by the ECU (used a 2N2222 to let MS fire the fan relay)

To be continued.

Sucks but happens. Happy the damage is limited. Might want to get the old style B23 steel cap too? Might have one laying around still.

As you know, similar close calls on my side with catch can cola bottles freezing shut and engines spewing oil on hot turbo's, smoke everywhere, would have been flames if I hadn't stopped.

The power stage consumption of this car is shocking. Assume you used thermo conducting paste between the alu heat sink and the power stage itself. Like discussed, the combo of this 2x2 coil and power stage is good, the dwell time is what is to be expected, ecu and power stage are compatible and pullup OK. Strange!

Anyways. Looking good, only small things easily fixed and you're back to boosting.

so, you're telling me my wobbly clutch is my new installed oem clutch hose which cost double a steelflex would have cost.. !??

Bled clutch: didn't work.

Realized it had to be the clutch line, as the throwout arm angle is correct.
Stock volvo clutch lines don't mix with stiffer PP's.
Installed this and bled clutch again:

hel-01.jpg

Clutch is rock solid now.
Drove the car. Already drives very well, even with modest timing.
Turbo spools well.
It hits "full boost" at 2600rpm (wg opens at 0.3 bar) :rofl:.
Already pulls well.

No leaks! I'm very satisfied. Time to start driving and tuning.

Thank god those security guards noticed this smoke and notified you, could have been a lot worse. Really nice fabrication skills, hope you get everything ironed out.

Back