• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1980 242 t6

Very cool! Wanted to get my ATP since I was a toddler. Almost went through LAN's program in Chile to get a type rating in A319/20s in exchange for a few years of my life with them but never got the balls to make the trek. Small regret.

Can't recognize the cockpit from here. What do you fly, cap'n?

I fly Boeing 737's, we have -300, -500, -700, & -800 models. We were in a -700 the day I met Wayne. I truly can't imagine a better job than mine, but I do love to work on and play with cars and trucks.

The Airbus? I don't know, I kind of like knowing if the other pilot is putting in a wind correction on landing or yanking back on the yoke so hard that I need to be getting scared.
I'll stick with Boeing.

As they say: "If it ain't Boeing, I ain't Going."
At least until my Company decides to buy something else. :)

Yep, I fly about 18 days a month and run my car business and a Residential/Commercial Construction company on the other days. Although, the Construction business is just about shut down now, one commercial project left and then I am going to shut it down for good.

Heck I figured you built cars full time!

Thanks, I will take that as a complement!!

Flying the big birds was probably the last thing I'd have figured you'd have as a day job. That is awesome.

Thanks I do enjoy it.

Oh man, I'm so glad you're posting this!

I'm trying to have my Konis work with Scotty's camber plates. I'm using the stock strut assembly, not a coilover setup. Would be kind enough to share the dimensions of the top and bottom spacers along with any information you might have for adapting these to a stock strut spring retainer setup? I'd be much appreciative. :) :)

Unfortunately I just got my car together today, so I don't have any way to measure the parts again. I also never tried to put any of it together with a stock type strut setup.

The best I can tell you, is that the collars that Scotty supplies are too large on the ID to work with the Koni. My Koni's came with a spacer that fit very nicely inside the ones that Scotty supplied, giving me the ID that I needed and I measured Scotty's parts for the OD. I then took those numbers and the parts to my machine shop and in about 45 minutes he had made me new spacers for both struts. We also made the spacers a little shorter than Scotty's to make up for Koni's shorter (than OEM strut) thread length.

I hope this helps. I will go through my old files and see if I took any photos showing the differences.

Update 10-07-2014

I got the Volvo on the ground today, for the first time in nearly a year.

8qoGbjptkV0T5sQYo_ArWAEpihofpZ3ZQQaN9kmjo_c=w624-h835-no

I redesigned the rear lower shock mount on my custom lower control arms and finished the top mounts.

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

I also installed new lugs and used a different lug nut before putting the tire and wheel on, just no new pictures of that.

IMG_1579.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1584.JPG

This picture shows the ground clearance. I didn't measure it, but I think it is about 4 or 5 inches.

IMG_1585.JPG

This pic shows the spring to tire clearance with the 20mm spacers and 10mm worth of washers between the wheel and the spacers. (I ordered the 30mm spacers yesterday.)
I could get away with no spacers at all on the rear, but I don't like the idea of disproportionally changing the track widths like that. Anybody done that with a recommendation?

IMG_1587.JPG

I am also thinking that I may want longer springs, I am only 1.5" from the top of threads now and I think I will want to add a little more pre-load on the springs. I will probably know for sure once this gets driven the first time.

Unfortunately I just got my car together today, so I don't have any way to measure the parts again. I also never tried to put any of it together with a stock type strut setup.

The best I can tell you, is that the collars that Scotty supplies are too large on the ID to work with the Koni. My Koni's came with a spacer that fit very nicely inside the ones that Scotty supplied, giving me the ID that I needed and I measured Scotty's parts for the OD. I then took those numbers and the parts to my machine shop and in about 45 minutes he had made me new spacers for both struts. We also made the spacers a little shorter than Scotty's to make up for Koni's shorter (than OEM strut) thread length.

I hope this helps. I will go through my old files and see if I took any photos showing the differences.

Ah man, no worries about measuring again. You don't happen to have a paper trail for the dimensions of the top spacer at least, do you? I already have something in mind for the bottom. :)

Great thread and cars, by the way. And my dad was actually an ATC at Palomar Airport or 16 years. :)

Ah man, no worries about measuring again. You don't happen to have a paper trail for the dimensions of the top spacer at least, do you? I already have something in mind for the bottom. :)

I haven't been able to find anything useful. We have had movers here and anything I didn't let them take is now lost to the clutter. I imagine most of my notes are already in storage in Denver.

On a side note, I started running searches for the info and came up with this link:
http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300258
Only to realize you started it. - Good luck, if you can't find the info you need, get back with me and I will pull one side apart to get you some numbers.

Great thread and cars, by the way. And my dad was actually an ATC at Palomar Airport or 16 years. :)

Is your Dad still working there?

I haven't been able to find anything useful. We have had movers here and anything I didn't let them take is now lost to the clutter. I imagine most of my notes are already in storage in Denver.

On a side note, I started running searches for the info and came up with this link:
http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300258
Only to realize you started it. - Good luck, if you can't find the info you need, get back with me and I will pull one side apart to get you some numbers.

Is your Dad still working there?

Thanks, man. Appreciate it! I'll let you know if I ultimately fail at this, ha.

My dad retired about five years ago, but worked there since 1996. :)

How did you plumb your brake lines from the mustang MC? Pictures would be great!

Also did you weld the orginal vacuum booster clevis to the HB unit? I made a brass bushing that fits into the eye of the HB and was able to use the orginal pin and clip (I might replace this with a grade bolt 8 and couple of lock nuts, little weary of the side load and an E-clip..). The pushrod isn't perfectly staight but I have clearance around the bore through the pedal range. To get the pin in, all I had to do was a pull on the brake pedal a little bit to bend the brake switch mount.

With some custom braided lines the HB unit looks like the car should have came that way! Thanks for the heads up on that unit!

I'm with the other guys, thought you were a builder full time! Awesome work man and thanks for the guidance!

Well how goes your T6 swap?

I have almost 500 mi on the project car and working out a few of the items on the punch list....

I am running the stock P/S pump and the Cobra Hydro unit and have very poor power assist for steering or brakes. Have you ran into anything similar? Have you done anything to up the flow or pressure?

I did modify the P/S reservoir for a second return line after reading some other forums with very little change. I have some assist on the early portion of pedal travel but not what I would expect and when my tuner drove the car he asked...does this have manual steering?

Thanks!

no update - update

Well how goes your T6 swap?

I have almost 500 mi on the project car and working out a few of the items on the punch list....

I am running the stock P/S pump and the Cobra Hydro unit and have very poor power assist for steering or brakes. Have you ran into anything similar? Have you done anything to up the flow or pressure?

I did modify the P/S reservoir for a second return line after reading some other forums with very little change. I have some assist on the early portion of pedal travel but not what I would expect and when my tuner drove the car he asked...does this have manual steering?

To be honest, I haven't touched the car in more than 6 months. I did buy a flywheel a few months back and I still want to get the car done, just lacking the time.

I have two 68 Mustangs to bring back from the dead and a 66 Chevelle for a customer in Canada that also needs a complete rebuild. Hopefully I can get back on my 242 this winter.

As for hydroboost:
You do need either two return lines or a large line from the HB and allow for a smaller return line from the R&P to "T" in. The R&P uses a fairly high pressure on most vehicles while HB tends to require a higher volume of fluid. I was hoping to use the factory P/S pump and if that didn't work well (which is sounds like you have discovered will be the case) then to adapt a divorced pump from either a GM or Dodge truck. The late 90's thru early 00's GM Heavy 1/2 ton trucks have Hydroboost, but not R&P and the 02 and later Dodge 1/2 tons have divorced pumps with R&P but no HB. I would probably start with the GM pump and use whichever reservoir fits best. I don't know anything about the HB on the Cobra, but that pump may also work well for you with little modification if it does not have the reservoir built on to it.

Are you running a whiteblock?

Good Day All!
I've been getting a few PM's recently on this project and realized I hadn't been back on the site in a looooonnnnnnngggggg time.
So, I think an update is in order.

The move to Denver got reversed due to a terrible housing market in Bloomfield, NM and I couldn't / wouldn't sell my house at what the market was demanding. That said, we like where we live so I went to Denver (4 trips) and loaded everything in my Enclosed trailers and hauled it all back. I rearranged my finances to make commuting to Denver every week easier and I build a 3800sqft shop on the corner of my property here in NM.
It's snowing as I write this and the new shop does not have heat yet, so very little work has been completed out there.

The two Mustangs have been moved into the new shop and are in Cold Storage for a while longer, with nothing new happening in years.

The Chevelle for my Canadian Customer should be in the April 2019 Issue of Chevy High Performance and was a Booth car at SEMA 2018 - It has a few things to be wrapped up and will be getting delivered to Canada this Spring.

I started a YouTube Channel: Allison Customs' ProjectCarTV Please come take a look and Subscribe! This is about the only form of social media I have been keeping up with and the channel will have all of my projects on it eventually.

The VOLVO - still sits and is waiting my attention. It hasn't moved in more than 2 years and I've done nothing to move it forward. - Sorry!!

There is the Update, I truly appreciate that so many of you are interested and I will hopefully get back on my own projects in 2019.

Some pics to prove I'm not completely lazy:

IMG_3176-e1549900675476.jpg

IMG_4208-e1549900577412.jpg

IMG_1536-e1549900771771.jpg

IMG_1726-e1549900859485.jpg

Last edited:
Nice 66 Chevelle! Guessing that drivetrain is LS'd and all the rest. Whose suspension front and rear? Its been now 10 years since I built my pro touring 70 Malibu.... still rocking the original white paint (2 owner car). I always enjoy the A bodies......

Nice 66 Chevelle! Guessing that drivetrain is LS'd and all the rest. Whose suspension front and rear? Its been now 10 years since I built my pro touring 70 Malibu.... still rocking the original white paint (2 owner car). I always enjoy the A bodies......

Art Morrison Chassis
LT4 crate motor
T56
9?
335 rear on 13x20s
285 front on 10x19s
Tucked Bumpers
Trimmed drip rails
Air ducts for rear brakes
Side exit exhuast
Ridetech air suspension

I'm sure the car is buried but any chance you have pictures of how the oil sump looks with the motor straight up? I've been thinking of going vertical but not sure about how I want to mod (or need to) the pan.

I?ll see if I have any pics, but no mods to the Pan were required. Things are close to get the engine down as low as possible, and it is easier to get the engine in and out if you drop the crossmember.

Jeff

Back