• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Rear hat shelf mounted subwoofer

What if I told you that you can get almost any speaker in almost any ohm load?

There are plenty of dvc subs out there with dual 8 ohm voice coils. Parralel those bad boys and guess what you have? A 4 ohm load with double the power handling! Such wow!

Why would you do that when you can buy them with 2 ohm voice coils for example, and get 1 ohm, massive power from a tiny amp? This is a really silly discussion.

You guys can engineer this to death. But the system pictured above of my 240s parcel shelf works just spectacularly. The speakers don't explode because they not mounted in a small enclosure. Mine have been playing hard for 5 years. My setup is 2 8" subs with a sealed off baffle board. Nothing complicated, other than some careful wood work fitting and sealing the baffle with caulking and foam. It rocks and it doesn't take any trunk space. I did shop around for some speakers that had specs that were decent for running in an IB or "free air" arrangement but it isn't hard to find them. You do have to know they probably won't hold really high power levels without the "spec enclosure volume". For example, you can't drive the 300W rated speaker with a full 300W of power if it isn't supported with the air spring in a small air tight enclosure. But I'm not driving them at their limits. And they provide tons of bottom end to my system. I'm driving them with a Rockford Prime Series amplifier that is really inexpensive. And the results are great. I think the amp is rated at 400 watts peak. But it isn't huge or expensive.

I know audio sound quality is very subjective. And I'm not competing, or trying to impress anyone. I don't even play music so loud that other cars can hear it across town. But some solid bass makes music more enjoyable. Bob Marley's bass heavy tunes can play loud and clear and vibrate my chest any time. And you aren't getting that with the tiny door speaker openings in a 240. Any speaker mounted in a car will sound better mounted to a solid structure and the front airspace rigorously isolated from the rear. Thats the most important part. There is alot of tuning beyond that, but that basic philosophy can get you decent sound.

One other point, I was trying to keep weight down on my car. It is pretty easy to add 100lbs to a car with speakers, amps, sound deadening. You can feel that performance wise, and I didn't want to take that hit.

Why would you do that when you can buy them with 2 ohm voice coils for example, and get 1 ohm, massive power from a tiny amp? This is a really silly discussion.

Because distortion, heat, and power draw go through the roof. It can be done, but to have an amp supporting a 1 ohm load takes a lot more work on the supply side. There are no free lunches. Just saying use a low impedance load to "get" more out of the amp is a statement of ignorance.

Can your car drive at 120 mph all the time? Probably. How much fuel would it use? How much wear does it cause? Would it blow up on a hot day?

And what do you gain by going to 1 ohm over two 2 ohm loads? Probably not nearly as much as you think. Maybe 3dB. And thats a big maybe, given that everything else in the chain is operating at it's full potential, AND the distortion will be higher to boot.

OP, you could put 2 of these in your hat shelf with no enclosure behind them and do fine.
https://www.parts-express.com/grs-8sw-4-8-poly-cone-subwoofer-4-ohm--292-480

Give them 100-200 watts each. and you'll have very solid low end for most styles of music. Including reggae. If you listen to EDM or whatever, they won't dig quite deep enough. But for 90% of all music 40Hz is plenty deep.

Weird. It wasn't a link. I uploaded a small image to the site. Does that not work any more? I can see the image.
[QUOTE=ogamer777;5881201]Link no worky[/QUOTE]

Honestly just put subs in the shelf to save space if that's what you want. Mount the amp upside down in the middle of the shelf and use particle board or something sturdy to mount them or expect worse sound and rattles.

Bass doesn't need to be in earshot to be heard so wherever you put it, you'll hear it.

Bam thread completed

Back