• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Duder's Beige Brick - ARUNDL - 1981 242 DL +B230FT

Yes this Saturday for sure. Going to the oc volvo club swap meet in the am. But after I am ready.

I can't go to those events anymore lol....come home with a wagon full of crap swag and an empty wallet

check this out: take the 245, bar it or whatever it is you kalifornistanis do, then take the engine/transmission, swap into the 242, get that one exempted, and PROFIT LIKE A MOFO.

then can has t5 swap AND 16v swap. just ditch the beetle.

Pulling an m46 for another fellow tbricker maybe Sunday evening or sat evening.

All the unicorns like to play on my lawn.....

Cool. Let me know - I can likely get a hall pass to make a run out there to the Habra.

check this out: take the 245, bar it or whatever it is you kalifornistanis do, then take the engine/transmission, swap into the 242, get that one exempted, and PROFIT LIKE A MOFO.

A diesel 245 would already be smog exempt by definition as long as it's titled as such. But yep, the engine could be swapped into a 242, which can then be re-certified as a diesel, and then would be smog exempt from there on out.

The beetle is definitely for sale and needs to go soon; I've had my fun with it, time to pass it on to someone who will drive it more. I'll put an ad up in the market section here once it's ready to go.

Just flip that engine on here and pass it around like the squirter jig so we can all beat the smog nazis

Its a shame the Volvo diesels are not common like Benz diesels.....then shiz would be off the hook here with Volvo racecars.

The swap isnt to hard, some minor differences how it mounts in the bay. The motor mount on the pass side mounts on the lower a-arm bolt. Youll need the drive shaft too its different than regular M46 Gas cars. May have to swap the driveshaft flanges. When you put in the gas motor the fuel pump wire connector is already back under the seat- which is awesome volvo did that. You'll need a wire from the fuse strip to the connector behind the kick panel too when converting to gas. The wire is on the other end to the back though as said. 3.54's are awesome though!
If you swap the engine it will come out the front- but barley. Its tight but I left all the accessories on there minus the power steering pump.
I have heard you have to go to BAR or just the DMV. Also that it just runs for a minute or some dont even make you start it.

The swap isnt to hard, some minor differences how it mounts in the bay. The motor mount on the pass side mounts on the lower a-arm bolt. Youll need the drive shaft too its different than regular M46 Gas cars. May have to swap the driveshaft flanges. When you put in the gas motor the fuel pump wire connector is already back under the seat- which is awesome volvo did that. You'll need a wire from the fuse strip to the connector behind the kick panel too when converting to gas. The wire is on the other end to the back though as said. 3.54's are awesome though!
If you swap the engine it will come out the front- but barley. Its tight but I left all the accessories on there minus the power steering pump.
I have heard you have to go to BAR or just the DMV. Also that it just runs for a minute or some dont even make you start it.

Wagons came with 3.31 or at least my 82 has one.

Probably, just use some brake cleaner and rub the undercoating off that sticker on the axle, drivers side. Its usually under the torque rod mount area on the backside of the axle tube housing.
There is some other wires you have to figure out but that depends on what LH system your going to run. Mine was LH 2.0 for now.

Volvo Claus came early this year.

My friend/coworker Rob made me a great deal on this AEM EMS Series I. I had considered getting their EMS-4 which is a simplified version of the Series II with only four injector drivers and less features (and about the same price as an assembled MS3) but all told I got a better deal on this Series I with many more features and extras. It's definitely outdated but should do everything I'm going to want to do with my B230FT swap.

AEM_EMS_wideband_MAP by Chris Floren, on Flickr

The outer shell/case has been modified with some welded tabs which should make mounting to a kick-panel plate in the 242 very easy for me. It came with a wideband sensor, 50 psi MAP sensor, and a VW/Audi N75 PWM valve for boost control.

AEM_EMS_&_harness by Chris Floren, on Flickr

Oh yeah, the complete harness from the vehicle it was formerly in, an S13 240SX that runs in NASA time trials. He originally ran a KA24+T, with a GT2871R. I'm not sure how much of the harness can be reused but I figured it would at least be a good source of wiring and connectors. If I go through with a smog-legal engine swap, I'm sure I can hide this very cleanly afterwards.

This is the car it came out of:

35883856.jpg

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/modp-1201-1993-nissan-240sx

It's really clean (for a dedicated track car) and he's done some neat tricks with it over the years. It's now getting an LS1/T56 swap, giant Hoosiers, and a Rocket Bunny body kit.

Last edited:
The AEM should work fine. That harness kinda looks like doodoo though. :(

Is he buying the Rocket Bunny kit at retail or does he have a connect there? A good friend of mine is looking for only the bolt on fender flares from that kit for his 240SX time attack car, but apparently they'll only sell complete kits.

I'm going to see Rob tomorrow in Indy (for PRI) so I'll ask him about Rocket Bunny. I think he knows someone there but not sure. He says it's a very nice kit.

The harness is not pretty, you're right. Looks like it was made quick & dirty, but I know it's hellafunctional. We'll see; I may end up using very little of it after all is said and done.

Karl, the Rocket Bunny kit can only be bought as a kit, apparently. But I have a hookup and will send you some contact info. :ninja:

Hey duder I may have misses the post but did u end up getting rid of ur 242 or r u still lookin at swapping in that b230ft?

Sorry, I should have made it more clear. Regardless of whether I take on a wagon project I am keeping the 242 and doing the B230FT swap. There may be some sneaky ways to make it smog exempt though!

Back