• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

2nd M47 with no reverse?!?

VolvoPrince

Just swapped an M47 into my 84 B23F. I used the correct flywheel and clutch kit, to start off. The first tranny I put in leaked like crazy, and did not go into reverse. I figured it was just a dud. So I bought another, it isn't leaking, great! But now... Still no reverse. I figure it cannot be the transmission again.... So what can it be? All the gears work great. 1-5 grabs well and doesn't chatter or whine. I go to put the shifter over and it's like there is no reverse gear, it just won't go in.

I am very familiar with the reverse lockout, and the plate is actually removed right now. The shifter bushings are brand new, and I did try rolling the car back and revving it while
Putting it in gear. I tried going 4th to reverse, nothing. I don't know what to do at this point. It was a weird issue to start with, but with the second tranny, I had to have messed something up. I did not have any hick-ups putting everything together... So I don't get it.

You have tried to goto reverse with the engine off and it won't engage? Are you sure the clutch doesn't need adjustment? That will make it hard to get into reverse. Should be about 2-4mm on the release arm.

Yes, even with the car off it will not go into reverse. By clutch adjustment, you mean the cable, or the clutch alignment with the tool when installing the clutch?

the cable adjustment. Usually you need to press the clutch in with these gearboxes even with the car off. That's what made think the clutch is out of adjustment.

Is the other tranny still kicking around? I'd try to put that into reverse via the selector rod. Twist counterclockwise as much as you can and pull. It should slide in (or will slide in if you play with input and output shaft) if nothing is messed up inside. If still no bueno, check whats wrong inside.

Tried messing with the cable a bit more. I even tightened it so much that the pedal wouldn't go to the floor. After multiple adjustments, still nothing. No reverse. It's like it's not even there.

Tried messing with the cable a bit more. I even tightened it so much that the pedal wouldn't go to the floor. After multiple adjustments, still nothing. No reverse. It's like it's not even there.

Is the linkage adjusted properly? Is the shifter hitting the opening in the trans tunnel?

Linkage has all new bushings. I've been driving with the boot off, and had someone shift it while I look from underneath and nothing is hitting. It's like the spot where reverse is, is blank. With both transmissions, same issue. You can begin to feel the "notch" of the gear where it is supposed to go in, and then it is just like hitting a wall. Nothing there.

or the clutch alignment with the tool when installing the clutch?
Ir you bugger the friction plate centering so much, you won't be able to reinstall the trans. If you manage to reinstall it and bolt it in, then it's well enough. First time you engage pressure plate, friction disc centers itself perfectly, don't worry.

Just a little tip beside the point. As for your problem, what is the general condition of the clutch? Marginally bad pressure plate? Uneven flywheel? Try unbolting shift rod from the shifter, pull it left and towards the rear while wiggling the driveshaft by hand, engine off. See what happens...

Clutch looked to be in good shape before I installed it. I've tried to disconnect the shifter and put it in reverse with the shifter rod, but I'm not confident on what gear I'm putting it in.

I've found reverse to sometimes be tricky to engage on 240s. Sometimes letting the clutch up in neutral and first and waiting a good 10 or 15 seconds before trying to engage reverse again seems to help.

Back