• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

140 whp with b230f

soclosenotnear

Looking to build a daily 245 with m47 and that is my power goal. I already have a turbo car and don't want another. I want to throw my plan out there and hear everyone's thoughts and ideas.

I'm hoping to be able to reseal a bottom end of a 90 b230f.
B21f intake manifold
Stahl header and 2.5 exhaust.
K cam and adjustable gear.

My questions lie with the head. I've read that revving the engine higher helps na power so 6500 to 7000 rpms? So stiffer valve springs? Is porting or cleaning up the 530 worth while for this goal?

I am car shopping now for this vehicle and am curious if it would benefit me to stay with lh2.4 or is lh2.2 alright for this goal. Mainly the availiabiltity of chips to support the higher rpm rev limit?

All just a vague outline of what I was thinking. Does it sound viable ?

Valve springs are pretty good from the factory though then again who knows how old they are. I'm no expert but I not sure how you would make that goal with out porting. Rev limit is the problem computer and ezk issues.

I would just port the head, put a cam in it, call it a day and not worry specific power output if you must do it without the turbo. Maybe you could go 16v.

Should have maybe elaborated a little more. I'm trying to make for a very clean engine bay. Engine is something I already have and am cleaning and regasketing just to learn. I already have and am almost done polishing a b21f intake. The header for performance but also for looks in the engine bay. I enjoyed driving my car stock with an m47 so I realize specific power output isn't necessarily important. But it is a goal just to try and reach along the way.

Valve springs are pretty good from the factory though then again who knows how old they are. I'm no expert but I not sure how you would make that goal with out porting. Rev limit is the problem computer and ezk issues.

I would just port the head, put a cam in it, call it a day and not worry specific power output if you must do it without the turbo. Maybe you could go 16v.

All this ^

+ Weight reduction.

Someone add a question mark to the title...I was hoping for a proven and documented n/a build! :) :-P

Currently working on it.
So far:
Ported 530: 1mm OS valves, enlarged seat ID, 4-angle seat grind, 3-angle valve profile with undercut stems, VW bug springs, k-cam wih adjustable gear, unshrouded exhaust and intake valves. Decked 0.085in. Some tri-y header of unknown origin.
This will be on a 2.3 block with k-jet with some fuel tweaking if necessary. Should be running in two weeks if all goes well.

Keep in mind with a 21f intake you will have to add fuel injection bungs to use EFI (or a kjet head and put the injectors in the old kjet retainers).

I have to imagine this is a pretty doable goal, Gary is making similar whp with his b20 powered 140.

Here's what I'd do:
B230f bottom end
Aim for about 10-11:1 compression
K cam or something in that range
Header
Head work optional

Now you'll need some way of optimizing the fuel and timing to get the most out of this. There maybe some chipping options for LH2.4 for this. My guess is LH in stock form maybe a bit conservative to meet your power goal. Programable is always an option here.

This is probably the most power you can make NA in relatively noninvasive methods.

I've sone this, it gave some gains, but only butt-dyno. Header and 2.5 pipe, K cam, everything else stock b230. noticable gain came from shaving the head a bunch (80 thousandth) and .30 cometic head gasket to gain compression. I'd guess more gains could be easily had with more compression (flat top pistons and high octane) than with trying to get more flow. For an easy bump I'd think about raising redline next.

a 16v head swap even with stock manifolds and very basic exhaust will get you 140whp pretty much right out of the box even without a whole lot of tuning. if you invest time and effort in setting the system up the numbers go up from there. bigger valves and modest port work would probably nudge it on up higher, and a decent set of cams could put you up close to 200whp without a whole whole lot of drama.

back in the day with half a tune on it.
46821344.jpg

fwiw, the drag car without a turbo but with all the other stuff threw down 170 rwhp NA with a th350. (2.5L, 9:1 cr, fs324 turbo cams, big intake manifold, that stuff), still stock valves. I really should bump the intake valve size up on that thing.

Really trying to avoid 16v for several reasons including cost and difficulty. Although I don't mind spending money on this build, I would like it spent efficiently as possible. Also, I'm not looking for headroom on top. Seems like raising compression is the definitive answer. I was hoping that wasn't necessary for this. Let me do some research to see what's in my best interest as far as that goes. Thanks for the input.

a 16v head swap even with stock manifolds and very basic exhaust will get you 140whp pretty much right out of the box even without a whole lot of tuning. if you invest time and effort in setting the system up the numbers go up from there. bigger valves and modest port work would probably nudge it on up higher, and a decent set of cams could put you up close to 200whp without a whole whole lot of drama.

who sells 16v cams?

Camshaft, Compression, and Cubic Inches is the basic formula. My B23 made right at 120whp with the M-cam and 11:1CR.

Back