• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

TD04H-13C compressor bypass valve symptoms

lummert

My turbo started whining yesterday. Today it is howling. Not making boost. Is this the cbv diaphragm? Turbo is the later type TD04H-13C-6 as used on a later model 940. It has the diaphragm type valve.

3 bolts to take it off and check.

cbv.jpg

In answer to my own question: The compressor wheel has way too much side to side play. Noise is most likely the compressor wheel making contact with the housing.

Now since I don't have access to another TD04H turbo I'm going to look at installing the good original TD05-12B on the 90+ exhaust manifold.

Last edited:
Can I prevent boost by disconnecting the wastegate actuator? I had previously adjusted the actuator for more boost with one washer on each bolt between compressor housing and the actuator. I don't think that removing the washers will temporarily prevent enough boost. The boost comes on above idle and causes plenty of smoke and noise. It is bad enough that it shouldn't be driven until it is fixed. I need to get around town long enough to get the parts together.

if the compressor blades are hitting the housing you're sucking metal particulate into your engine. i wouldn't drive it imo

if the compressor blades are hitting the housing you're sucking metal particulate into your engine. i wouldn't drive it imo

meh, the metal parts would have to pass through the tiny channels of the intercooler and then magically fly up to the intake tube on their way to the throttle body.

unlikely, i'm not seeing that happening.

This morning before it started raining I managed to remove the wastegate actuator and wire the wastegate wide open. No more boost, no more noise. Still have the smoke from oil getting past the turbo seals. I managed to source some transitioning studs (M8x1.25 to M10x1.5) for the TD05-12b to 90+ manifold install at NAPA.

Last edited:
I don't know if it helps you, but I have a 13G from a V70 that you could have for the cost of shipping. It builds boost fine but it does use oil so I would recommend a rebuild kit.

Today after having a friend remove a broken stud from the turbine housing exhaust flange I went to pull out on the highway and my car smoked so badly that a truck a quarter mile down the road had to pull over because of the smoke screen. The engine severely misfired until the cloud cleared. I'm guessing I shouldn't try driving in traffic.

Today after having a friend remove a broken stud from the turbine housing exhaust flange I went to pull out on the highway and my car smoked so badly that a truck a quarter mile down the road had to pull over because of the smoke screen. The engine severely misfired until the cloud cleared. I'm guessing I shouldn't try driving in traffic.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Back