• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The Buchka 242 Fake Racecar

yes, because I made that direct correlation between those two things.

not enough people stroking your ego for you, so you needed to do it a little yourself there?

I am not discounting your work or though process at all, but doug making an LS swap sound like the easiest thing in the world is not okay.

It's cool man. No need to play the semantics game. We've all been there. I guess I can't really fault you for coming down on someone else's project to feel better about your own. I've done it myself. It's like my good friend Anders always says: Don't throw beavers in wood houses. Good luck with your LS.

I fill my roommates socks with wads of LS swapped 240's on a daily basis.

It's cool man. No need to play the semantics game. We've all been there. I guess I can't really fault you for coming down on someone else's project to feel better about your own. I've done it myself. It's like my good friend Anders always says: Don't throw beavers in wood houses. Good luck with your LS.

I'm not coming down on your project...just the way doug made others projects sound.
I have nothing LS powered. Calm down, friend....maybe check your pants for ants and while you're at it, remind yourself that your **** stinks the same as everybody's.

my ls swap took 2 days and was resurrected on the 3rd. it will be born again /Brett. also the swap paid me to do it, by putting the motor in i actually made $50 and a bag of 420crystalweed appeared.

yes, because I made that direct correlation between those two things.

not enough people stroking your ego for you, so you needed to do it a little yourself there?

I am not discounting your work or though process at all, but doug making an LS swap sound like the easiest thing in the world is not okay.

I apologize. I just don't find them interesting for the most part, probably because I built firebirds for long. I got into Volvos and their motors simply because you can't just order all the parts from jegs and bolt them on. I enjoy the challenge and certainly this build is more challenging than the average LS/sbc/sbf/whiteblock/16vT swap.

Ok, have we got that out our system yet? I'll prune this thread in a day or so.

Any redneck with a stick welder can build a chassis. It takes some high quality engineering to do an engine swap such as an LS1.

Jeez, what did I start?

For the record, I consider myself friends of the Buchka's (I still owe them favors for carrying an axle in their lap on a plane :rofl: ) so I had to bust their balls a little and most everyone knows how die-hard redblock and 240 I am.

I do still stand by my half serious thought of this car losing some of it's 240 soul, but it may have lost that a long time ago when it was decided to become an engineering test bed for these 2 crazy fukkers.

Since you 2 are having so much fun, why not work on some aero improvements also? Real chassis aero? How about a blown diffuser?
If you are going to be stupid, might as well be completely stupid.

Any redneck with a stick welder can build a chassis. It takes some high quality engineering to do an engine swap such as an LS1.

Sure, anybody can 'build' a chassis. The whole point in doing this in the majority of cases though is to make something that works better for its intended purpose than the original could, and this is usually closely tied with the new suspension design. The suspension pivot points etc are crucial to its success and must be arranged on the new chassis from thev outset.

You do not simply throw together a tubular chassis, chuck some knocked-up suspension parts at it and expect it to work, a huge amount of design input is required even before the first tube is cut.

So yes, anyone can build a chassis, but building one that works really well is certainly not childs play.

An engine/ drivetrain transplant might at times take a fair bit of thought to get around the odd installation problem , but overcoming these hurdles is all part of the fun. I've lost count of the number of major engine transplants I've carried out over the years (usually big cube motors into very small cars), but none have come anywhere near to the complexity of the suspension redesigns on a couple of chassis I've built.

For anyone to even question this, or compare it to a drivetrain transplant, to me just highlights the fact that they aren't fully aware of exactly what is involved in designing a proper race car suspension system from scratch.

Assembled the starter and mounted it to the bellhousing with the correct lash:
photo%25201.JPG

AH, so the starter motor is being mounted behind the block, I did wonder what the square section on the new belhousing was for. That will give loads of room for exhaust manifolding at therear of the block. Are you going to have a removable access panel or box above the transmission tunnel then?

Just one thing, which may sound stupid, and I've probably missed some of the fine detail on the parts being used, but are you using a starter motor from another engine with a different direction of rotation, or have you been able to reverse the motors polarity in some way or something?

Surely otherwise a stock Volvo V8 starter motor would be trying to turn the engine over in the wrong direction?

I apologize. I just don't find them interesting for the most part, probably because I built firebirds for long. I got into Volvos and their motors simply because you can't just order all the parts from jegs and bolt them on.

Your right. You can't order the parts from jegs. Instead its rsi, sam,selhol sten parner ect. I think the 16vt swap is much easier than an ls swap having done both. Its easy to make an opinion for somthing you never have done first hand.

:rofl:

I want to read about a racecar, not the downies talking about LSx superiority.

nothing was said about lsx superiority. reading comprehension, people.

furthermore, I would compare this as a "volvo build" to a NASCAR/stock car(which I have worlds of respect for, they do amazing things with more/less simple setups). Yes, they look somewhat like the cars they are supposed to be, but almost nothing is shared with the production vehicle.

Surely otherwise a stock Volvo V8 starter motor would be trying to turn the engine over in the wrong direction?

That is the orientation of the starter in the car that engine came out of.

I wish people would shut up with the whole there isn't enough volvo left to call this a volvo thing. If you've got a problem with this build just stay in the thread for the red block powered 242 that the Buchkas are building simultaneously.

I apologize. I just don't find them interesting for the most part, probably because I built firebirds for long. I got into Volvos and their motors simply because you can't just order all the parts from jegs and bolt them on.

Eventually all the cars at carshows will just be different bodies with chevy small blocks and mustang II suspension.

That is my idea of the 9th circle of hell.

Back