• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

b23 build suggestions.

tyrefryrevolvo

Allright guys , I have an 84' 242DL back in cali waiting for me with an m46 and it has 180k on the clock so barely broke in. From what i understand it is a b23 engine. I would like to build it from the ground up with a turbo and all the correct supporting mods to at least 400hp I would really appreciate some direction and some options and reccomendations from the the guys that have been working with these engines for years allready and know what exactly to look out for . When i get home from deployment i plan on diving right into it.

Allright guys , I have an 84' 242DL back in cali waiting for me with an m46 and it has 180k on the clock so barely broke in. From what i understand it is a b23 engine. I would like to build it from the ground up with a turbo and all the correct supporting mods to at least 400hp I would really appreciate some direction and some options and reccomendations from the the guys that have been working with these engines for years allready and know what exactly to look out for . When i get home from deployment i plan on diving right into it.

What I did to get 352whp from a b21, just to show what can be done without spending a ****load of cash:

Stock 7,5:1 compression shortblock (b21et, same as us b21ft)
Stock 398 k-jet head, stock valves but stiffer springs
Stock v-camshaft timed straight up
stock k-jet intake manifold
stock 90+ manifold (flange opened up to t3 size)
stock headgasket
holset hy35cw
3" exhaust with a single muffler
siemens deka 63lb injectors mounted in k-jet holes in head
dw300 intank pump
dodge 4bar fpr
generic ebay ic
accel ultracoil, stock dizzy, some generic accel plugwires, bcr8es plugs
and a decent standalone ems.

30psi, 19.5 degrees of timing and 352whp on ron98. With a more suited cam, larger injectors and slightly smaller turbo (the holset hits 30psi by 3800-4000rpm) I bet the number would be even higher.

What I did to get 352whp from a b21, just to show what can be done without spending a ****load of cash:

stock headgasket
holset hy35cw
dw300 intank pump
dodge 4bar fpr
generic ebay ic

30psi, 19.5 degrees of timing and 352whp on ron98. With a more suited cam, larger injectors and slightly smaller turbo (the holset hits 30psi by 3800-4000rpm) I bet the number would be even higher.

30 psi:omg:

How many miles on something like that?

Thanks for the responses guys, And budget and time go hand in hand for me , but i would rather save the money and buy quality parts than to have to do something twice. but dont get me wrong im not afraid of the junkyard either. Im just not familiar with what parts are compatible with eachother and which years on the 240's , im talking big ticket items like cylinder heads and cams etc... but i would not put an ebay turbo on my car lol thats just me.

stock headgasket
holset hy35cw
dw300 intank pump
dodge 4bar fpr
generic ebay ic

Good number from a B21 and I was thinking of junking a couple.

Iddnit weirder than fawk?

I can't understand where the hell the ideas form that there is anything wrong with the B21 or B23 but i swear I've has SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo many people say "Oh the B230 are MUCH better-er-er, eeeeeverybody says so"

Huh?

Nothing wrong with a b21 or b23 motor.
The b230 is a more efficient design and they're easier to come by.

Back