• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 142 engine swap suggestions

Yeah, firewall chop on all those. Impressive, but not something I'd want to own and maintain.

I'm going to back pedal a bit here and introduce one more option:

I've got nothing against pushrods. I'm not a fan of non-crossflow heads, but with the weird space constraints on the 140, I'm starting to think about doing a turbo b20. A basic 2.3 build with a small turbo would make plenty of power. I could fab it all up with the stock engine, get it running and de-bugged, then drop in a built engine and turn up the boost. I just want a fun vintage street car that can bomb some gravel roads. Can anyone recommend a good b18/b20 performance parts supplier that's NOT VPD?

Bore a B20 so its round, fresh holes..Comp 11:1 after improving the roof to wall intersection and unshrouding the big valves. Better---but not insanely heavy rods ..and this cam under the table, IPD oil pump relief valve spring--Now you could rev the thing

better gearbox..T5 with 2.95 first.....and 4.88 axle

You want to play on gravel roads then a top speed in 4th of around 100-105mph is plenty..save 5th for cruising there and back.

Bore a B20 so its round, fresh holes..Comp 11:1 after improving the roof to wall intersection and unshrouding the big valves. Better---but not insanely heavy rods ..and this cam under the table, IPD oil pump relief valve spring--Now you could rev the thing

better gearbox..T5 with 2.95 first.....and 4.88 axle

You want to play on gravel roads then a top speed in 4th of around 100-105mph is plenty..save 5th for cruising there and back.

John, that sounds like a solid plan. I just wanted the turbo for passing slow pokes on mountain passes. I’m not out street racing, haha. But honestly I don’t drive mountain passes every day, so an NA B20+ is sounding better and better.

I’ve been thinking about a dual Weber dcoe manifold with Weber style throttle bodies, modern injection components and a stand-alone as a good stage one. If I need more power, it will be easier to add FI with those parts in place. Hmmmm

It doesn't have to be shoved through the firewall. Better weight distribution that way, but not something I'd want to do. I will say that my 8v with a 19t, T5, and 4.30 Dana 30 with a TruTrac (Thanks to HiPerfAuto for the install) is a blast to drive. You don't have to try hard at all to extract power out of it, and it's a good setup on the street. Granted, I'm about to ruin all that with a big dumb turbo, but as it sits now, I'd recommend this route over a B20.

40LjT71.jpg

John, that sounds like a solid plan. I just wanted the turbo for passing slow pokes on mountain passes. I?m not out street racing, haha. But honestly I don?t drive mountain passes every day, so an NA B20+ is sounding better and better.

I?ve been thinking about a dual Weber dcoe manifold with Weber style throttle bodies, modern injection components and a stand-alone as a good stage one. If I need more power, it will be easier to add FI with those parts in place. Hmmmm

Yes. See I've been building rally motors since maybe 1985 and really "inspired" since then as well..Rally is about HP and torque much like road cars except ratcheted up a bit..Pull..that's why I said try with whatchooo have to the limits of that motor, but not neglecting box and especially not neglect the joys of significantly shorter gearing...

What sort have engines have you built?

It doesn't have to be shoved through the firewall. Better weight distribution that way, but not something I'd want to do. I will say that my 8v with a 19t, T5, and 4.30 Dana 30 with a TruTrac (Thanks to HiPerfAuto for the install) is a blast to drive. You don't have to try hard at all to extract power out of it, and it's a good setup on the street. Granted, I'm about to ruin all that with a big dumb turbo, but as it sits now, I'd recommend this route over a B20.

Nice clean install you got there. I read through your project thread a while back. Your build is what got me thinking - that's a lot of work! And wondering if a DOHC engine wouldn't take much more. You also got me worried about the T5 install with all the troubles you've had with noise/vibration, and no solution so far.

I think you may have selective amnesia about how much work you have put into your build!

Nice clean install you got there. I read through your project thread a while back. Your build is what got me thinking - that's a lot of work! And wondering if a DOHC engine wouldn't take much more. You also got me worried about the T5 install with all the troubles you've had with noise/vibration, and no solution so far.

I think you may have selective amnesia about how much work you have put into your build!

Trust me, I'm aware. I know people have done it with much less work though. I just made a series of unfortunate decisions. If I did a redblock on another 140 now, I could bust it out with very little drama.

As for the T5, you're right, it's a rattly annoying piece of garbage. I was just referencing it in my last post because having a 5 speed with good gearing along with the rest of the car is nice. That said, I drove a friends T5 swapped redblock 240 a couple weeks back and I'd say it's 100% acceptable. Not sure what is making mine so bad, but I'm sure it's something unique to my set up.

Trust me, I'm aware. I know people have done it with much less work though. I just made a series of unfortunate decisions. If I did a redblock on another 140 now, I could bust it out with very little drama.

As for the T5, you're right, it's a rattly annoying piece of garbage. I was just referencing it in my last post because having a 5 speed with good gearing along with the rest of the car is nice. That said, I drove a friends T5 swapped redblock 240 a couple weeks back and I'd say it's 100% acceptable. Not sure what is making mine so bad, but I'm sure it's something unique to my set up.

Good to know.
I've been contacted by a TB member with a B230FT for sale, so I may be going that way if things works out. I'll be pestering you for details if I go that route.

Back