• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Rear Shock "Bearing Bolt"

jsun245

In all of the videos, diy descriptions, Haynes manual, etc. it appears that when replacing the rear shocks (240) one should be able to remove the nuts at both ends of the "bearing bolt" that forms the upper attachment point for rear shocks. Well, I can't.

IMG_7666.jpg

I had absolutely no problem removing the inner bolt...which from what I understand is the one that causes most people problems...but I cannot make this outside one budge at all. After taking it off the car I went after it with an impact wrench as well as a very long breaker bar but no amount of cranking makes it move.

The only remaining thing to try is heat, but I guess I don't want to do that until I'm sure that I can give up the bolt for gone. Plus, I have a feeling it just won't come off anyway.

Is there a solution here, or is it just to shell out another $25 a side for new bolts and nuts?

(I am fully prepared for some obvious answer - DOH! - to a stupid question. Newbie here.)

Yeah you can use heat on that. Soak with overnight penetrating oil and it might also be a good idea to release any gas pressure in the shock or cut that eyelet off the top of the shock so the heat doesn't make the shock blow up.

However, you can also use a die or small 4" grinder to just cut that apart until you have only the bolt remaining. Then hold the hex part of the bolt in a vise while you heat and remove that stuck nut.

I had the same problem...same shock also. I got one side off no prob the next wouldn't budge. I even took it to the semi truck garage, they said they put 900ft lbs on it and wouldn't come off.

End result, I had Smokeyfan replace all of my suspension bushings and he said it came off with no prob when he tried.

Ok
I had the same problem...same shock also. I got one side off no prob the next wouldn't budge. I even took it to the semi truck garage, they said they put 900ft lbs on it and wouldn't come off.

End result, I had Smokeyfan replace all of my suspension bushings and he said it came off with no prob when he tried.
Wrong thread

Ok
Wrong thread

I'm not sure what's wrong about the thread/response, but I will say that we've heated the crap out of that nut and cranked on it with all manner of devices ("900ft/lb" in the semi truck garage sounds exciting ;-) ) and yet it still won't budge. Musta been some kind of super-duper-Flubber-grade locktite used by the previous owner (who just might have been a rocket scientist).

Right now just to get moving I've used new bottom mounting bolts (and lock nuts) to secure the top of the strut mount. Frankly, this seems to work just fine and I'd think that if that bolt is good to hold the bottom of the strut, it'd also be good to hold the top of the strut. Nevertheless, I'm sure there's a reason why the Volvo engineers specified a different type of bolt for the top...so I'll likely be getting new bearing bolts sooner than later to put it all back together properly.

You mean you are working with smokeyfan? Please give him my regards?

Damn KYB are the shocks that always seem to give me the most trouble. lol. I've had the strut gland nut rip apart and left the bottom inside so there is nothing to grab. I bought a good used strut housing instead of spending a lot of time destroying it to get it all apart. Of course it isn't the strut inserts fault that the gland nut was overtightened. But it always seems to happen with those shocks.

You mean you are working with smokeyfan? Please give him my regards?

Damn KYB are the shocks that always seem to give me the most trouble. lol. I've had the strut gland nut rip apart and left the bottom inside so there is nothing to grab. I bought a good used strut housing instead of spending a lot of time destroying it to get it all apart. Of course it isn't the strut inserts fault that the gland nut was overtightened. But it always seems to happen with those shocks.

I don't work with him but he did install my suspension bushings.

Yeah, I got rid of my KYB's. They may also be on my 93... and its time to replace those also. Hopefully they wont give trouble.

Back