• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

poll how long will it run? 91 240

freevolvos

I Bought A Parts Car Ended Up Being Pretty Decent Needed Exaust,Tail Light Fixed.Ect. Did The Timing Belt Today As I Had No Record And I Drive It 127 Miles A Day And Much To My Surprise It Has At Least 5/16 OR More Crank endplay Clank Clank Back And Forth. Surprised The Belts stay On Lol.Anyone Else Had this? Runs GoOd Uses No Oil. Any Thoughts?

^this.

Usually 88+ engines don't wear the thrust bearings much, but. 85-87 180 degree center thrust stick shift cars (or stick shift cars with an 85-87 redblock) can and do. Rear or center thrust isn't so much the issue compared to the 180 or 360 degree variation and oiling and wear surface.

This is still going just did the timing belt again has to be a quarter inch now, still running great kinda freak's me out

Worn thrust bearing. I have seen it on one redblock in my life and we replaced the engine even though it was still running ok.

I figured as much only seen this on engines with extremely heavy clutch action, I'm sure the crank and the block has had it , even though the oil samples come back good lol, however I'm am concerned about this wiping out the transmission. The convertor is also moving too, do you think it's hurting the trans? Wearing out the input shaft ? Also noted in this cars records that this car was driven less than a mile a day for many years, all the service records were included since new. Something to think about if you live close to Work

Auto yes car is a winter beater I figure the end will be it will start popping seals out. On another note will aw automatic transmission interchange between 200 and 700 series?

They interchange. Only difference is i had an issue with a 240 Trans not having the correct bolt holes for a 740 mount on the tail shaft housing once. I swapped housings. Just take a look first and you will see.

OK found a good deal on a 740 auto thank you. Swapping tailshaft housings not a big deal. I will do the bushing and seal while I'm there

Wow. thread revival! Good to see it just keeps rolling.

I think the crank in my 93 wagon has that much play. I have replaced the front pulley. Got a new clutch when the replacement trans went in at 385k. It seems excessive but that thing just keeps rolling. It is a manual and doesn't seem to care. The trans wore out at about 350k miles but I ran it for another 35k before it was so bad it had to be replaced. The engine runs well considering it was abused for 230k before I got it at that point with a bad head gasket.

You have the good roller bearing trans in yours. Do a reseal of the trans if you want to be ahead of the issues. Especially worth it if it is working well just is getting leaks which will damage the trans eventually.

what i did was shim the a.c. pump and alternator do that the belts kinda hold it in the middle of the slop. i think it keeps the crank from floating fore and aft? the engine has always had noisy lifters. i figured the valves may need to be adjusted, or is it the massive internal oil leak at the thrust bearing? someday im going to tear it down

5/16 OR More Crank endplay Clank Clank Back And Forth. Surprised The Belts stay On Lol. Anyone Else Had this? Any Thoughts?

Yea....my thoughts...I'd have to see that to believe it........
5/16" endplay on a Volvo Red Block engine....I can't see it or believe it.
I've owned and rebuilt a Bunch of these engines, and with the crank and bearing set-up........well...that's a lot to swallow.

Dude it only takes like 4 hours to replace an oil pump and thrust bearing and rod bearings in these. Less time than a whole engine. Mostly bolts that are usually around the engine bay/greasy and not rusted too badly.

It’s not fun but not all that horrible...

Back