home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 07-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
Cameron
ドクターマリオ

Default Adapting Stock B230 Fuel Rail to AN

Trying to work out how to adapt the fuel inlet to the fuel rail and return off the FPR to AN.

Working with this fuel rail style ('83-'87?) that is threaded inlet and barb outlet at the regulator.

The inlet is threaded -- but what thread type? The outlet off the FPR measures out to like, 8mm O.D. I'm shooting for cutting the fuel hardlines down by the trans tunnel and then using AN compression fittings to make them -4AN male threaded at the spot I cut them. This'll be a non turbo motor so -4 seems like it will be plenty big Anyone have any clue if I can accomplish this without brazing on new fittings to the rail?

For the feed I'd just need to figure out exactly what size/style the thread is so I could try to find an adapter fitting that went from that to -4. For the return I guess I'd just need to figure out an 8mm fuel hose that I can clamp onto the FPR and then on the other end of that get a -4 to barb fitting to clamp that same line onto that then threads onto the -4 fitting on the return hard line I want to cut and run compression -4 on down by the tunnel.

Fake Edit: Just remembered Jordan did this sorta on his car. Given he ran new line all the way from the tank, but same idea I want to do at the rail:

Last edited by Cameron; 07-21-2011 at 06:52 PM..
Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
adrianpike
🔥

You can - if I remember correctly, it's some sort of metric double flare on the fuel feed. I have a spare fuel line in the garage, but I'm about to head off to Alaska for the weekend so it'll have to wait before I can scope it.

Is there a Parker store local to you? There's a shop in Bellingham that has pretty much anything to anything, and I take in my wacky Volvo crap and they can just find the right fitting right then and there...

I'm looking to buy, PM me if you've got any of it: LS bits, 93 850 bumper, ford 8.8", T5 WC, T56, Mustang IRS

Adrian is omniscient, you will never escape his wrath. - 500dollar744ti

doug was here
adrianpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
Captain Bondo
Exklusiv Zubehör Klub

So you're keeping the stock lines?

What are we looking to accomplish?

-Kenny
(I crushed a 240 with some stuff done to it. Honest.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Turbobricks isn't a car forum any more. Its a forum for lame kids.
Captain Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
Cameron
ドクターマリオ

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianpike View Post
Is there a Parker store local to you? There's a shop in Bellingham that has pretty much anything to anything, and I take in my wacky Volvo crap and they can just find the right fitting right then and there...
There's Advanced Hydraulics not far from here. They figured out the right fitting for me to adapt -6AN to that weird fitting at the fuel return hard line (which turned out to be a JIC fitting or something) so they'd likely be able to find something for this. I guess I might just have to pull the fuel rail and take it there and say make this fit -4 hose end.

I wonder if I can squeeze a -4 hose over the 8mm barb off the FPR?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Cameron
ドクターマリオ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bondo View Post
What are we looking to accomplish?
Engine bay cleanliness.

The '78 has the fuel filter up on the firewall so both hardlines run up the corner of the bay and up to there. Derek had already pulled the under car pump and accumulator in prep for carbing the car, but I'll be running LH on it. So Imma move the fuel filter down under the car next to a pump like stock LH configuration. So with that, I want to cut the hard lines by the tunnel so I can just run a shorter, tidier hose right up to the feed on the rail and same thing for the return instead of running both over around the brake booster like they are now.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #6
nathaninwa
The Beloved Oarnge Juice

You need a billet rail setup to run the stock fpr.....hint hint hint

SHEETMETAL INTAKEhttp://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...etmetal+intake

THIS IS FORSALE V
nathaninwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
Captain Bondo
Exklusiv Zubehör Klub

Why are you guys so attached to the stock fpr?

I'd just weld a steel -6AN fitting on either side of the rail, stash an aeromotive compact reg somewhere out of sight (easy to do) and pull some -6 lines back to the pump.

Otherwise just put some stock LH lines in and call it a day.

Maybe I'm missing something...
Old 07-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
Cameron
ドクターマリオ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaninwa View Post
You need a billet rail setup to run the stock fpr.....hint hint hint
Well yeah, I did think of that too. Seems like a waste though since this intake manifold setup won't be staying on the car for too terribly long....... hint hint hint
Old 07-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
Cameron
ドクターマリオ

Quote:
Why are you guys so attached to the stock fpr?

I'd just weld a steel -6AN fitting on either side of the rail, stash an aeromotive compact reg somewhere out of sight (easy to do) and pull some -6 lines back to the pump.

Otherwise just put some stock LH lines in and call it a day.

Maybe I'm missing something...
My cheapskate nature wants to try to get it running/done/connected with parts I already have on hand + a few bucks on fittings. Sure an Aeromotive compact FPR would do the trick along with welding new fittings on the rail, but that's $140 for the FPR and $ for the welding too since I can't do it.

This motor will get a different intake setup completely in the (hopefully) not too distant future so I'd like to not spend too much money on parts that will be removed if that's possible.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
Captain Bondo
Exklusiv Zubehör Klub

What will you do for lines with the new intake?

Isn't there a way to just do this properly, once?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #11
Cameron
ドクターマリオ

Quote:
What will you do for lines with the new intake?
I'll get an adjustable FPR with AN ports and a new rail with AN fittings too...

Quote:
Isn't there a way to just do this properly, once?
Well, yeah I could just get the above mentioned items now instead of later and move them to the new intake setup. So yeah, this might be hopeless, but thought if I could spend just a few bucks now to use the parts I already have it'd be nice. I'll spend the money later on the FPR and rail, but it'd be nice not to spend that money now if I don't need to. Maybe I just have flawed logic here.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #12
Mylesofsmyles
Board Member

Cam...

I'm sure you're more fluent on this subject than I, but I'm kinda in the same boat as you...

Are you using a stock FPR?

I just got a Cosmo Adjustable FPR, which went right on a stock B230 fuel rail, and it's got a threaded fitting out of the regulator for the feed and return. As I've got it right now, I'm just clamping a hose on it, like stock, but soon enough, I'll get a nice threaded fitting from the FPR, through a stainless line, to the return hard line.

I dunno, maybe consider a new FPR, that's got the threads?
Mylesofsmyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #13
nathaninwa
The Beloved Oarnge Juice

if you want to send me your rail ill weld on a -6 fitting for ya and deliver Stonehenge weekend?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #14
RCArmy434
Board Member

I'm no machinist, but I would imagine it wouldn't be too terribly hard to make an adapter that has volvo fuel rail threads on one side, then -6 on the other

242 Build
RCArmy434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #15
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCArmy434 View Post
I'm no machinist, but I would imagine it wouldn't be too terribly hard to make an adapter that has volvo fuel rail threads on one side, then -6 on the other
For a one-off on a manual lathe it's a pretty damn finicky part to make. Way easier to weld or braze bought or salvaged fittings onto a tube.
Alex Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:33 PM   #16
RCArmy434
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Buchka View Post
For a one-off on a manual lathe it's a pretty damn finicky part to make. Way easier to weld or braze bought or salvaged fittings onto a tube.
Makes sense.
RCArmy434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:25 PM   #17
DNAsEqUeNcE
†John3:16

Cameron

The stock fitting is 14mm x1.5

I just made an aluminum fitting to weld on AN adaptor myself today, but to run from stock line to -6 rail.

if you need something made, hit me up.

and yes, as alex said, it's a tricky part to make.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #18
nathaninwa
The Beloved Oarnge Juice

Brett, i stock them adapters...-6 to metric bubble for stock like, should have said somethin! Im sure there is a what they call universal female metric adapter to -6, but it would be spendy for the time needed for Camerons needs.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:35 PM   #19
DNAsEqUeNcE

doh! oh well! I might end up getting it from you if this one leaks like a siv!!!!
DNAsEqUeNcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #20
Captain Bondo
Exklusiv Zubehör Klub

Steel AN fittings are like 2 bucks a pop up here. You need to buy proper lines and FPR in the future anyways so I don't follow the logic behind the midget and ductape transitional solution.

Buy the correct parts the first time and install them.

I do that kind of false economy **** all the time too and it drives me insane. I always regret it. One day I'll learn.

I'd bite the bullet and do -6 lines and Automotive compact FPR, and have a couple AN fittings welded to the stock rail for now. The only "wasted" money is the cost of the steel AN fittings and the welding, the rest of the parts will be the right ones. Pay nor or pay later.

Then again it's only 80psi worth of flammable liquid being pumped into the engine bay. Could just dumpster dive for some string and clamps and whatever and see how it turns out.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #21
DNAsEqUeNcE

^^^^^
DNAsEqUeNcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:45 PM   #22
Cameron
ドクターマリオ

Quote:
if you want to send me your rail ill weld on a -6 fitting for ya and deliver Stonehenge weekend?
That'd be bitchin'. I don't think I'm going to be able to make it on the Stonehenge run, but I could still always ship it to you and then send you a label to ship it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAsEqUeNcE View Post
if you need something made, hit me up.
Thank you for the offer

Quote:
Brett, i stock them adapters...-6 to metric bubble for stock like, should have said somethin! Im sure there is a what they call universal female metric adapter to -6, but it would be spendy for the time needed for Camerons needs.
So you have the fitting to adapt stock fuel line to a -6 rail? But not a fitting to go the other way around? Or did I read that wrong?

I think I'll take the rail up to Advanced Hydraulics tomorrow on lunch break to see if they have a fitting that'll adapt it. If not, I'll see if I can grab a steel weld on -6 fitting so I can send that up to ya with the rail. As always, thank you for your offer to help
Old 07-21-2011, 11:55 PM   #23
nathaninwa
The Beloved Oarnge Juice

I have plenty of -6 fittings here....only send the rail if you do anything.

My adapter is male both sides. It has a male -6 and male metric 14mmx1.5 with the concave seal portion for the stock like. Similiar to the stock threaded fitting on the rail.

With my billet rails, I put an Oring on the -6 side and use it as an ORB.....then the stock line fits right up.

Im sure there is a female fitting of my male setup. But like all other AN stuff, its like 3 times the cost! This fitting I use is just over 8 bucks.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 PM   #24
nathaninwa
The Beloved Oarnge Juice

Mabe you can get a union like on a brake line with a convex sealing on both sides, like an inverted flare union, and I can send you my adapter till your done with it.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:14 AM   #25
Cameron
ドクターマリオ

Quote:
I have plenty of -6 fittings here....only send the rail if you do anything.
Sweet, thank you sir. As Bondo so eloquently stated I guess it might just be false economy. I was just hoping it was somewhat simple of a fitting so it would just be a single fitting to just attach to the stock rail fitting.

How about I just send you the rail and have you weld on -6 fittings to both ends? That way it's got AN inlet for ease of connector/hose and that'll just force me to buy the Aeromotive FPR a bit sooner I guess. I guess for the return you could just chop off the rail after the downturn and weld the fitting there? That way I could mount the FPR close to the stock position and not have to worry about any clearance issues with the hood from the FPR sticking up higher than the rail.