• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

G80 Counterweight Cut

ScotchWhiskey

Pretty sure I cut too much off of my g20 counterweight. The small lip that holds the spring is gone and I?m not sure if I can still run the locker. Kinda wishing I never messed with it. Is this thing still salvageable or should I be looking for another counterweight to drop in?

IMO its better to weld the counter weight in place. People have seen failures of that small pawl / shaft assembly after cutting down the counter weight.

Maybe you can weld a sheet of steel in to the shaft and the housing

IMO its better to weld the counter weight in place. People have seen failures of that small pawl / shaft assembly after cutting down the counter weight.

Maybe you can weld a sheet of steel in to the shaft and the housing

This 100%. No idea why people waste their time trimming the weight. Not to mention, it’s trial and error as to what speeds it’ll lock and unlock at. People claim it’s a safety issue to have the diff lock up at any speed but to me, if you’re careful it’s fine.

To trim the weight don’t most people remove the entire carrier? That is SO much work compared to simply tack welding the pawl in place. I used a very small bolt to fill the gap, then tack welded the bolt to the pawl, and the bolt to the carrier. Always locks up now like it should.

Guess I don’t understand the function of how the counterweight works. If I had known I could’ve put a bolt in and welded it, then this would’ve been a non-issue. I used the thread below to base my modifications off of.

http://www.turbobricks.com/mods.php?content=art0027

If you see the picture where the counterweight is cut, you’ll notice he left a small ridge that the spring sits on. Mine is gone and now the spring won’t catch on the counterweight making it inoperable.

Looks like my best be might be to weld that assembly in place somehow. Or I may rob a counterweight out of a g80 from a blazer if it’s the same, then reinstall and weld it.

Or just quit while you're ahead and stop molesting perfectly good G80s.... If you showed your location, I'm sure someone like Promise, Ben, Ken, Roy or any other TBricker that has been around that type of slip limiting differential, could help you out in person.

That’s pretty much the lesson learned here. But then again half the reason I love volvo is because I can get a fix for my mod addiction on the cheap. Hence the reason I’ve read this forum for years.

In all honestly this was a super clean unit though and I’m kicking myself for messing it up. I’m also in the greater Cincinnati, Ohio area if that helps.

See if you can source an original weight online.

I've heard of people using plates while welding diffs up. Not sure how safe and reliable this is, but it's something you could try if there's no easy place to weld to on the weight.

I’m pretty sure a weight from a s10/blazer diff will probably work. I would also like to see some pics of the weight being welded in the carrier. Probably need to do some searching on that but for now I’m content doing 1-wheel peals.

Back