• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vintage B20 Alternator: Replacement vs complete swap

fatcatbestcat

Professional Hack
Hello again.

I've got a B20F in my 144 with a re-manufactured Bosch alternator that's completely seized.

I'm thinking about swapping it for one of those Delco 1-wire alternators meant for an GM car.

Anyone have any suggestions as far as a swap or direct replacement is concerned?

If you can find one from the PRV motors, those are stupid simple to bolt on, had one on mine for ages. Also if it dies, you can swap the internals and back half with one from a 740 in about 5 minutes. 100A internally regulated, JY available as long as you have the front half of the case from a good or bad one.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Got a friend to lend me a couple of old Delco (GM) alternators for mockup purposes so I can make a bit more of an informed decision.

I personally don't really know much about alternators (beside their function), and I thought they were engine-specific or something (probably because I spent a while looking at LS alternators). Hopefully I can line up something that fits and add another shiny new part to my rusty, clapped out motor.

Back