• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Tuning Fast Idle Valve EXPLAINED!

meeki007

Foreword:

So while tuning MS II with Tuner Studio I’ve found little help setting up my Fast Idle Valve. On top of that there is not much info on setting up a B230 idle valve on any platform besides the, “occasional values that worked for me,” table.
Here I will try to explain the terms and information on the subject in connection with tuning them in with Tuner Studio.​

• Getting setup

I like to see what the valve is doing! You will not have to do this. However if you are having issues I would highly suggest you do this.

The valve use a Bosch EV1 connector. I like using the remote harness I made so I can have the Idle valve sitting in my lap while I’m in front of the laptop adjusting its values.

DSCN2369.jpg

DSCN2373.jpg

To make this harness for less than $10 USD you need to make a trip the the junk yard. Cut off one injector plug harness from the fuel rail of a Volvo and also take a Crank position sensor off the top of the bell housing of the transmission of any LH2.4 car. This will give you a male and female end for your new EV2 extension cord. Make sure when you wire them together that the wires and connectors stay parallel. Otherwise the valve will be working in reverse.

Also take the time to confirm that your wiring to the MS for you idle valve is correct. This is rather hard to mess up one end goes to Positive switched voltage source; the other wire goes to the FIdle wire from the MS box. All of this is assuming you have your MS box built for FIdle. If you connect them backwards no big issue you can reverse the way the valve functions later. However if you don’t want to do this step later connect the FIdle wire to the neg side of the plug and the Postive wire to the positive side of the plug. See plug pinout below.

DSCN2079.JPG

• On to tuning

Idle valve in lap and unplugged.(if you have left the valve in your car and think its functioning proper like continue on with suggestions below.
If your Idle Valve is in your lap, as I suggest, then unplug your injector wires or disable your fuel pump ETC. We do not want the car starting.
  • Idle Control

With your car on (not running), power going to the MS box, your laptop connected and talking to the MS box with TunnerStudio Select the Startup/idle tab.
Click the sub-tab of Idle Control. You should get the box below.

1idle.JPG

In the tab next to Algorithm select ‘PWM warmup. ‘ Burn settings to MS box.
We will not be using ‘PWM closed loop.’ Too many factors to go wrong. ‘PWM warup’ had a nice stable idle that you define based on coolant temp(s). If you want to be brave and give closed loop a go, have fun. I’ve been working on this for 2 months and have found ‘PWM warmup’ nicer to define and control. However if you have questions about the closed loop system I now know it in and out and would be happy to field questions.​
  • Idle PWM settings

Select the Startup/idle tab and click on Idle PWM settings. Now you should have a box up that says PWM idle settings as shown below.

2idle.JPG

In the tab next to Crank-to-run Tapper time(s) I have selected [5] but let’s review what this does further.

Crank-to-run Tapper time is defined as the amount of time in seconds it takes your car to start. How many seconds you hold your key in the start position before releasing it to the run position and your motor is now purrin along. However in respect to PWM idle setting it is how many seconds from the time your motor first tuns over past its crank RPM's to the end of how many seconds you have selected that the PWM Idle valve will hold open in the position defined in the Coolant – based crank duty table.

I like my car to go verrrom! when I start it, so I have my box set to [5]. Go ahead and select 5 for now. We will come back to this later.

In the tab next to Valve mode in the same box we set the Crank-to-run Tapper time you have a choice of Normal, 0%=off and Inverted, 100% off. This just inverts the valve mode. So if you have your valve set to 40% and its acting like its at 60% you may have to invert this. Again we will touch on this subject later on. For now select ‘Normal’.

In the tab next to Valve frequency you have a choice of 1 through 8. I have 3 selected, lets see what this really means though.

Valve Frequency Selection:
Idle valves function with a rapid pulse-width on the PWM signal. The frequency makes the unit have a humming noise. This pulse-with (shaky valve) ontop of the PWM % (% of switched power gong to valve making it hold open or closed at a specific point) allow the units metered air past your throttle plate. After putting my hands on a few Volvo 740 valves and feeling the difference I came to the best setting of 3 in Tunner studio. It shakes just a tad higher than a unit connected to LH 2.4

I also managed after many weeks and phone appointments to Bosch to get a tech on the phone who makes these valves. Many times he kept saying to my requests, “that’s proprietary information and I cannot help you with that specific question.” The good news is after I explained to him that I was using MS and what that was and that I was part of a community of Volvo freaks he did open up a bit and explain a few things that will keep us from wreaking these valves. #1 too low a freq will cause the valve to overheat and work too hard. Basically under 54 HZ (setting of under [2] ). He would not release the Freq that they were made for but he did say that too high of a Freq will not kill the valve but may allow it to become clogged or worse yet Ice up in a cold environment the same way a carburetor does. There is allot more information on the Freq but gong too high can cause even more problems he suggested I keep it under 160 ish HZ. A setting of [3] give us 91.5 and it sounds and feels close to LH 2.4 good enough for me.
Now Burn them settings.​

• [*]PWM Idle cranking duty
Select the Startup/idle tab and click on PWM Idle cranking duty. A table should pop up like the one shown below.

3idle.JPG

This is the table that determines how much air goes through the Idle Valve when your cranking your engine over. We finally get to start seeing our valve in action in this section.
I found that my valve is fully open near 90%. But best to have you determine this yourself.

Plug in your Idle valve. It should start humming or you should feel it humming.
In the Table Coolant-based crank duty you should see a red dot that is moving around just a hair. It is telling you the current coolant temp. Move the nearest blue dot ontop of the red dot. On the left of the table gong up it tells you in % the Duty cycle. Its EZ-er to think of this as how far the valve will be open. Drag that blue dot toward the sky above the red dot and it should go up as well.

Don’t freak. At this point the Idle valve will do nothing! This is the crank setting. So go ahead and in one hand hold the valve so you can see the opening and with the other hand turn your car over. You should see the valve open up like in the image below.

DSCN2370.jpg

Now do the same thing above but lower the blue dot down a few % . Keep doing this until the valve starts to close. Then go back up with the blue dot and stop when the valve stops to open. Pick a value in the middle of these, mine was 89.8 % this is the PWM duty percent needed to open the valve all the way. Record this on paper for later.

Now we are going to do the same thing but go down in % until the Idle valve fully closes. If you go too far it will start to open again from the other side. This is a safety feature set into the valve encase it can’t get power or fails. It will allow air to pass and give you a high idle so you won’t be stalling out whenever you let off the gas. This allows you time to get a new unit. If you went too far just give it more % until its fully closed like in the image below.

DSCN2372.jpg

Write this % down for later. Mine is fully closed right around 44%.

Whoo hoo ! we now know the settings to get your valve to fully open and fully close!
Install valve and get RDY to tune.

NOTE: As descussed before If the valve behaves backwards you need to go back to Idle PWM settings and change from Normal, 0%=off to Inverted, 100% off

• Tuning with valve installed.

Now that you have the valve in the car we can start to play with the Coolant-based crank duty and the Idle PWM Duty table.

First lets start with a cold motor and pull up the Coolant-based crank duty table we used before to find out your idle valves % open and closed settings.

Ive never encountered -40 deg before so I can only assume that Ill set that at 90% duty. Move over to the 220 deg dot and move it to your idle closed setting. Mine was 44% so I set it there.
With the other 2 dots in the middle of the graph 46.7 deg and 133 deg move them to form a strait line.

We are now ready to see if it will start. However we have not set up the Idle PWM Duty table so there is no point in letting it run for more than a few seconds. Also we don’t want to raise the coolant temp. If the car starts with allot of cranking move the % up a tadd at a time while retrying to start it. When it starts the way you like it leave the setting alone. Also be sure that you are burning the settings every time you adjust them FYI.

Over time or as you keep raising coolant temp you will have to keep adjusting the Idle PWM Duty table until it starts under every condition you may encounter. We have only fine tuned the current temp in your garage at this moment. I would tackle this by running the motor until it hits a temp near the next dot then fine tune that one in. But first lets get your idle straitened out.​

• [*]Idle PWM Duty table.

Now that the car starts happy like we can move onto Idle PWM Duty table.
Go ahead and select it from the Starup/ Idle tab. This table will determin your idle speed. Less air = lower idle. Assuming your VE tables are correct. Expect to muck with them too a bit now that you have control of the air going past the intake plate. You set up this table the same as you did the Crank Duty table but with greater precision. Keep burning your changes and you have to be quick and do it multiple times as the coolant temps keeps going up you will have to keep in a race against it while you keep adjusting the Valves Duty %

From here on im sure you can figure it out. Hope this helps every one else in this endeavor.
I see no point in posting my valves as I'm constantly tweaking them and fine tuning it in now that I have figured it all out. Also every motor is different and will require different settings.

GOOD LUCK.

Last edited:
Crank-to-run Tapper time is defined as the amount of time in seconds it takes your car to start. How many seconds you hold your key in the start position before releasing it to the run position and your motor is now purrin along. However in respect to PWM idle setting it is how many seconds from the time you tap the starter to the end of how many seconds you have selected that the PWM Idle valve will hold open in the position defined in the Coolant – based crank duty table.

There's sort of an error in nomenclature here. Functionally speaking, the Crank-to-run taper time doesn't start counting down until you've exceeded your cranking RPM defined in Cranking settings, which should be a 100-200 rpm higher than your actual cranking speed. The taper down time doesn't start as soon as you tap the key, as you've described. The purpose of this function is to flare up the idle at startup and quickly return to normal idle. Before this function is set, the engine should start and idle on its own without aid of the idle valve.

There's sort of an error in nomenclature here. Functionally speaking, the Crank-to-run taper time doesn't start counting down until you've exceeded your cranking RPM defined in Cranking settings, which should be a 100-200 rpm higher than your actual cranking speed. The taper down time doesn't start as soon as you tap the key, as you've described. The purpose of this function is to flare up the idle at startup and quickly return to normal idle. Before this function is set, the engine should start and idle on its own without aid of the idle valve.

well your right ill fix that. Thanks !!! It was hard to write correctly as my motor starts in 1/2 a second so it feels like the above.

Besides that what a think? I just see many people asking about this dang subject and many more always saying its just not working right.

I just see many people asking about this dang subject and many more always saying its just not working right.

If more people read the manual and took the time to understand how the system works then it wouldn't be a problem. This applies to everything on MS, or any other standalone for that matter.

The common problem I see is users punching in values from someone else's setup, or just entering random values until it "works", then wonder why their ecu doesn't run consistently. Most people aren't willing to take the time to understand how the settings that they're changing function and how it affects the operation as a whole.

I could sit here and explain how everything on MS works, how to tune it, and how I make my car and my customers cars run as well or better than factory, but then I'd just be re-writing all of the documentation that already exists.

mine was always pretty good, first turn of the key and it starts. runs just like factory, i remember when i set it up, i was amazed at how nice it was.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/c1VKB7PJ6yY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

you have to excuse my language, i was so excited with the results after playing with MS start settings and having no IAC before. it even compensates properly for the load from the a/c compressor.

my settings
idlesettings.jpg

I dug out the stop screw on mine and adjusted it so 0% = closed. I don't remember why I did this, but it has worked for a few years like that.

Getting the closed loop idle working perfectly was a little frustrating, I think most of my problems were related to the tps not always reading 0 at closed throttle. Each time the throttle was closed it would vary from -3% to +2% so the ms would leave the valve open or closed occasionally and refuse to go into closed loop. Battery voltage at idle was also not very solid, so that wasn't helping either.

I dug out the stop screw on mine and adjusted it so 0% = closed. I don't remember why I did this, but it has worked for a few years like that.

Getting the closed loop idle working perfectly was a little frustrating, I think most of my problems were related to the tps not always reading 0 at closed throttle. Each time the throttle was closed it would vary from -3% to +2% so the ms would leave the valve open or closed occasionally and refuse to go into closed loop. Battery voltage at idle was also not very solid, so that wasn't helping either.

You nailed one of my main issues with closed loop. "tps not always reading 0 at closed throttle." mine is only off by 0.8% either direction. Also running an under drive pulley so bat volt at idle (car running) 12.8v when car off its 12.1v so i know the alternator is working. at 1,200 RPM it kicks up to a happy 13.8v sounds like your problems are the reason I went with PWM warm-up and not closed loop.

Another issue i have with closed loop when I have the TPS set perfect is it runs fine for a bit but then starts to do this endless cycle of revving up and down by 150 RPM. It drives me crazy. Again went with PWM warmup and its smooth.

The only issue i have ATM with PWM warm-up is that at 53% setting open after it has warmed up give it an idle of 903 RPM but 52% give it an idle of 718 I want 800 ish. I'm thinking about putting a potentiometer inline and seeing what resistance resistor I would need to buy to bring it down just enough to make it = 52.5 ish %.

nice tutorial! next close loop idle ?

mods, can we stick this?

Well got motivated and have %80 of the closed loop stuff fig out. Along with TPS % issues covered as well. With tuner studio you can correct for TPS variance.

Expected date of writeup is July 10-15 after I get back from my vacation.

Closed loop pwm isn't that bad, the biggest thing you need to get right before trying to set it up is consistent AFRs around your idle target (so if it's off a little on it's initial step(s) it won't start oscillating in and out of a rich spot or lean spot)

I've got it working pretty good on my 940 now with these settings: (can't do a screen shot at work)
frequency multiplier - 4 (although messing with this much over 2 doesn't seem to have a great affect on anything)

Closed loop idle valve settings:
Idle open duty: 85%
Idle valve closed duty: 22%

activation rpm adder: 200
tps threshhold: 25% (I don't have a tps hooked up though. You'll want to set this to juuuust above the closed value for your tps)
dashpot-adder - 1.2%

I left the close delay stuff alone for the time being

Closed loop idle PID settings: This is where it gets 'fun' and aggravating if you're not really sure what's going on. Fortunately there was a decent writeup for tuning the idle on the MS-3 beta documentation (it also covers the other settings above if you're really curious what and why, etc). Link at the bottom of the post
min duty for Pid(%): 60.2% <- this guy sets the minimum DC for the idle loop. You'll want to set this to a value that's pretty close but less than the DC when the car is idling at the desired RPM. on my car, this results in an idle of approximately 700 rpms (bone ass stock turbo car)
RPM with valve closed: 400<- self explanatory
RPM with valve opened: 2000<-also self explanatory. it's probably actually higher than 2000 too
PID delay: 2seconds<- how long it waits to start closed loop idle after all the other targets are met (TPS %, etc)
crank to run taper: 2 seconds <-after it passes the crank to run rpm threshhold, this is how long the loop waits to start heading towards the target Idle rpm at the given coolant temp (Defined by the idle/coolant table)
PID ramp to target time:3 seconds<- basically, how fast the loop takes to get to the target (ideally)
PID control interval: 50ms <- how 'fast' the loop runs. lower values are faster, higher values cause it to run slower.
Proportional gain: 65.0 <- this is the 'oscillation' value. the larger the value the larger the response to rpm change. You want to set this guy high enough to allow the loop to respond quickly, but not so high that it causes the rpm to cycle up and down (oscillate)
Integral gain: 25 <- defined as "the value that will allow the loop to meet the target". This also seems to affect how quickly the loop hits the target, I started off with it around 5 or 6 (and it worked reasonably well), and bumped it up to 25 this morning on the way to work. it seems to work even better.
Derivative gain: 0 <- this is a 'dampening' for the whole loop. Generally if you have everything else set well enough, you won't need a value here.

I left the PID lockout stuff alone, the howto in the link below does a pretty good job explaining what they're used for and how to set them up.

Not to steal meeki007's thunder, I look forward to seeing his info. This is just to help get folks started.

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/tmp/2Idle_Control.html

Good info linuxman51 no worries about stealing my thunder. I believe in sharing any info you may have to help others. 'Linux' being in your name I'm sure your versed in this belief.

ya I'm on vacation ATM with my tunner laptop scrounging internet from coffee houses so not in the mood to try and upload all my screen shots etc, till i get home.

your settings are similar to mine. Ive tackled all settings and what happens to a b230 motor when the values are changed along with what is to happen and what will happen.

I see your not running any Derivative gain. That great but if you need to correct for a load like ac, alternator and even what happened to me with a clutch fan kicking in hard when I was driving over a mountain pass 2 days ago you may need a little to offset the Proportional Gain used to correct for sudden engine load. I had to up my Derivative gain from 0 to 12 % to keep it from oscillating when a lad happens.

Things like this will all be covered in the write up. I just need a good 4 hr chunk of time in my chair at home in front of my man computer to get it done.

I don't get oscillations when the a/c kicks on and off with those settings, although when I put the 012 maf back on the car, I had to change the idle stuff up a fair amount.

Back