• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Matt's 1989 740 turbo

500dollar744ti

still rides with MrDoug
300+ Club
wellll, i have been all over the place on what i want to do with this car... i had a penta aq171c all lined up and someone snatched it out from under me... i had a nice b23ft set up to get and that fell through... so i figured i would build an 16v motor around a GT35R.

Last edited:
since i made that^^ one useless post i have blown 3 motors reusing the same block, one m46, 3 air mass meters, bent a subframe, cracked a subframe, and now i am ditching lh2.2.

time for msns-ebc. will have it installed when the MS box comes in.

this is what my car looks like now. it was completely stock when i bought it one year ago haha, i have tried to touch up the exterior to look nice and tasteful.

S6300471.JPG

That's a nice car, seriously! I always loved white volvo. The door handle the snow scoop and the white mirror really make a difference! I don't know if my 940 is the same white as yours, did you repaint the mirror ?

I know your dragracing, what's your best time so far ?
edit; just saw it in your sig. 13's is on it's way!

Roger

@Matt, why don't you post all the carnage here, same for the enginebuild and all the other work to your car? I always like what you do, but your threads are alle over the place, nothing wrong with that but why not gather all dat information that we as projectthread addicts like?:-P

msns-e is kick ass, i took it on a 200 mile trip today without the laptop. cold start is slowly coming together and it is 10x better than it was before without a bosch idle valve...

the car now has a retardo turbo which consists of a T04E .60A/R 50trim cold side with a stock volvo .48A/R hotside. i know the t4e will outflow the damn hot side so yesterday i lowered the boost to 16psi and tuned for that... the car is a lot faster than with the t04b at 20psi and idles like a champ.

driveability is actually better now than it was with LH2.2 and it is bringing in some promising fuel economy while producing more power at the same time. today i got 21mpg average on a 200mi round trip which would have easily swallowed a whole tank of gas on LH2.2

the car is pulling like the raped ape that it is and i like the tune that it has so much right now that i am only planning to mess with the cold start settings to make that flawless, otherwise i would like to do some research before i go throwing more ignition at it.

right now as it sits at 16psi with the T4E it makes very linear strong power and i am extremely happy with it to the point i want to dyno soon.

rev limit is set to 7k rpm and it happily goes there. finally i am ready for a 3in. downpipe on the 8v and even though i wanted to leave it as disposable while finishing up the 16v/GT35R motor i am going to throw a 3in. DP on there and see where i go... i don't plan on installing a larger hotside or messing with the turbo anymore... now it will be a bigger DP and tuning, then out comes the 8v. :spin:

big BOV? i dunno, no surge though.

I was talking about the other kind of surge that happens when the compressor creates too much boost too soon.

This was my car when it had the big H-trim T04B compressor and volvo .63 turbine
<embed src="http://img532.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Tcompressorsurge006ps3" width="320" height="260" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/><br/>
<a href="http://profile.imageshack.us/user/volvoti">[More videos from volvoti]</a>

<embed src="http://img532.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Tcompressorsurge002jv0" width="320" height="260" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/><br/>
<a href="http://profile.imageshack.us/user/volvoti">[More videos from volvoti]</a>

But if you aint got it thats good, maybe because yours is a T04E.

I was talking about the other kind of surge that happens when the compressor creates too much boost too soon.

But if you aint got it thats good, maybe because yours is a T04E.

it spools very fast and is much more linear... i had a t04b on there without any problems like that either... it just works fine, didn't expect so much from it but it does. :???:

wastegate actuator bracket on the T04E just broke (it was flexing too much).. i was using the stock bracket... made a new one out of thick aluminum, boost is much better now... need to go test the thrust factor tomorrow. :-D

say "oops, i did it again" :rofl:

lost compression in #3, surely a piston failure, was just warming up the car when it happened... it must have been cracked from the last LH incident since i didn't replace all of them.

i think i will go back to turbo pistons.

engine is running super with the 8.7 CR, the car is becoming stupid fast... i killed my 2nd m46 this past weekend, so now #3 is in there...

i am going to dyno the car for the first time ever next week, i need to get some numbers before the 3rd trans fails.

assuming 15% drivetrain loss, that puts me at 253hp at the crank and 313lb/ft at the crank.

good crank torque... that also happens to be 110hp/liter and 136tq/liter assuming crankshaft numbers.

this car is still coming along as well, a bit slowly because r-sport international has not delivered yet (almost a year now) but it is ongoing.

i have finally installed a wc v8 t5 transmission and ordered every piece i have left to install for the 16v.

the 16v motor will be put together sans exhaust manifold until RSI comes through with it. i will wait on them, then bolt it up and swap it in.

now that the t5 is installed i am ready to move on to the next stage with the 16v motor as i have an actual transmission to put behind it. :cool:

Back