• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Dash Options

GTJordan

Been here for too long
This is taken out of the other post about the T6 240.

Anyways. I'm tearing the dash out of my car and installing a dash from a 81 and newer 240. I'll use the stock 79 cluster.

I'm doing this mainly for a place to mount my gauges (Autometer 2 1/16)

What haveyou guys thought about doing for custom dashs? I'd like to hear your idea's. Post as many "dash" photo's as possible. I'd like to make a collection of what you have, so I can take and make a nice FUNCTIONAL dash. I've even thought of all aluminum.

Idea's.... What gauges do you guys have? I've got Boost, and Volt right now. Oil pressure and A/F are next on the list. Longer down is an oil temp and water temp gauge.

Jordan

I?ve considered replacing the clock from a ?81--> gauge cluster with an aftermarket tach (autometers are nice). Aluminum panel would be very cool and easy to to yourself, you could even polish it up for show looks (and sun glare :owned: ).

Money is a limitation in this project.

I think I'll swap in the 81+ dash. Then just install aluminum facing. Use the stock 79 240 cluster, plus the autometers off to the side, where they would be on an 81 plus with the gauge options...

If I'd do the whole thing in aluminum, I'd probably paint it black so that it didn't reflect into my eyes...
:)
Jordan

Thanks for the photo's. They sure helped. The more the better. I'd like to make a little folder with these photo's, for future referance.

I'm almost tempted to go with the Race car one. Number two. I can't remember who built the car.

I have to get some money, then I'll go out, get some aluminum and start cutting!!

Jordan

Hey Micheal. Really cool pics. Do you or anyone else have any good 740 pics. I'm installing a tv under my head unit next week, i'll post one of that when i'm done. And i'll definetly have pics of the 850 seat install. Thanx in advance.

i just realized what i was going to say the basic idea of Race #3. but instead, just keep the cluster in and get rid of those two center vents. put a slab of whatever material on it and you can probably fit four to a row (8 total) instead of four total. just space them tight. that'd look awesome.

are you keeping the GT interior? make the new dash board (aluminum or whatever you're using) black with orange/red trim (color coded) and keep with the GT theme. just an idea

GT interiour? NAH.

When I have the money, I'll be putting a set of Bucket race seats (non adjustables) in the fronts. And pulling the rears to make way for a cage.
Possibly this summer it will be seam welded also by my buddy who's a welder. Door panels will become aluminum etc etc.... I'm trying to avoid things which will burn inside the car :)

Your idea of the dash, is what I think I'm going to go for. But not a full aluminum dash for a while. Maybe end of sumer?

Jordan

I was looking at a nice old dash out of a (guessing) 140... it was kinda cool, it'd fit in any 100/200 series car and is pretty light and simple and aethetically pleasing (its a 69 dash maybe... oldie)... If I had a car that was stripped I'd want that dash... with the metal front face it is sure easy to fit gauges and buttons and lights of that sort... just drill/cut and fit! If you want air/heat there's some compact units you can buy (from the vintage market... whatever) but a nice dash like that would be simple as heck and customizable as heck. lots of room for gauges! hang a radio underneath it, old-style (but have a pivot that you can snap it up and it's hidden, heck even have a lock on it!)

I'll eventually put up the pics that I took of it...

If anybody's interested...I have a pic of a 740 dash in a 240 and it looks GOOD (complete with center console and all). Just can't figure a way to #@*&! post it!

That blue dash was cool...if nothing else it's a little different, and that's not bad, right?

I also noticed in one of the pics that the center heater vents were removed and another 3 gauges installed there.

I can't think of that many things that I really need to monitor. I'd do the GroupA Tach+idiot light setup, but I like to see where my oil pressure is and my coolant temps and such. Too bad they didn't make an R-sport cluster for the later 240, that would have been WAY cool.

I'm glad you saw them.....the blue one was nicely done, but I think someone got a little too happy with the carbon fiber lookalike contact paper.

:shock:

That one aside (I've seen it before) I wish VOLVO had offered an R-sport cluster for the 81-up 240. Alas, we must resort to our usual Dremel tool and pop rivet tricks.

Back