• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Cost effective way to modify??

SLO240

Awesome Sauce
I recently purchased IPD lowering springs. And I was on my way to install them. When I went to remove the connecting rod, the nut stuck and the bolt turned. Not the way it was supposed to happen. Bentley talks of a special tool, it talks of a lot of special tools. Being new to this game I am not sure if there are good subtitutes for for all these tools. Since I don't have a well equipped shop yet what are some good tools to get for future mods. Is an impact wrench the solution for everything? I guess to stop beating around the bush what are the best tools for a student on a budget who is a do it yourselfer?
And yes I have read every thread in the archive and in the main forum took me two weeks. That was all I did between classes(slow computer).

IPD just started selling a tool to take the top nut off the strut of a 200 or 700 series (got flyer yesterday) I think it is like 15.00. This will allow you to disassemble the strut without impact tools. Don't forget the spring compressor tho. Dan242tic

yeah you can buy strut nut wrenches. it looks like a box end wrench, but bent so it will reach the nut. Then you put another wrench on the flats of the inner piece so it doesn't turn and away you go. They are pretty cheap.

If you can afford a compressor and etc, and have a place to store it all and such, then air tools are a big help, but there's a way around them generally. (arguable when doing bodywork maybe).

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I have a few people to work on so I can get some air tools for christmas or other holidays. Is there any other socket set or set of tools that would overall make life easier.

Back