• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

86+ front end conversion on 81 242.

A245R

Looking to change my front: lights, hood, grill on my '81 242 to look like an 86+. Will this be and easy change or do I have to change the fenders as well? Will I have to cut wires for the lights, turn signals to work? Will the hood from the 86+ line up and bolt right on?Is there anything else involved. Thanks

what is the reason on changing the hood? Im pretty sure (assuming youre keeping the non-flathood) both hoods fit without problems. I'd like to see pics comparing, i origionally had a 86+ hood on my car it seemed to fit the same
But fenders, the lower valence (what the light surrounds and grille sit on) and all the lights need to be changed.

what is the reason on changing the hood? Im pretty sure (assuming youre keeping the non-flathood) both hoods fit without problems. I'd like to see pics comparing, i origionally had a 86+ hood on my car it seemed to fit the same
But fenders, the lower valence (what the light surrounds and grille sit on) and all the lights need to be changed.

If I change the lights do I have to change the hood? OR could I just change everything...fenders, lower valence, and keep the original hood? Will this work will it look right?

i guess i just didnt notice, looks like you should change the hood too.
what color is the 242? I'll keep my eyes open for 86+ cars at crazy rays

'86+ headlights and turn signals will require changing the fenders and the lower cross panel beneath the lights. You can use the original hood or a flat hood. The '86+ hood will fit, but won't match the cowl panel, which isn't a big deal. If you use a flat hood, you need a european/australian grille which can be had for about $50-100.

Basically, decide which look you want to go with the 86+ lights, by which I mean which hood, which will dictate which grille.

'86+ headlights and turn signals will require changing the fenders and the lower cross panel beneath the lights. You can use the original hood or a flat hood. The '86+ hood will fit, but won't match the cowl panel, which isn't a big deal. If you use a flat hood, you need a european/australian grille which can be had for about $50-100.

Basically, decide which look you want to go with the 86+ lights, by which I mean which hood, which will dictate which grille.

Perfect thats what I needed to hear!!!
Thanks

Can someone post a pic of an 86+ hood used with an early cowl? How bad does it look? Does the 86+ hood and -85 fenders line up correctly?

Can someone post a pic of an 86+ hood used with an early cowl? How bad does it look? Does the 86+ hood and -85 fenders line up correctly?

it looks like it has a goofy cowl induction sort of thing. Just a big gap in the back.
Hood should match up with the fenders, my 242 origionally came with an 86+ hood when i got it.

if yer interested in a swap. i want to change my setup to pre 86, i like the looks better. what color is yours?

as long as im correct in assuming that all i really need for my 86 is fenders, lights, grille, and lower sectoin?

are there any pics floating around with an 86+ with its hood and with 85- fenders and light set up?

Last edited:
if yer interested in a swap. i want to change my setup to pre 86, i like the looks better. what color is yours?

as long as im correct in assuming that all i really need for my 86 is fenders, lights, grille, and lower sectoin?

are there any pics floating around with an 86+ with its hood and with 85- fenders and light set up?
There's no proper grille for '86+ hood with early headlights and lower panel.

Here's a flat hood on my '87 240. It was adjusted slightly forward on the hinges to clear the cowl when opened.

MVC-413flathood.jpg

MVC-415flathood.jpg

Back