• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Headlight Ideas

BrickLoven

Ok Im going to be starting on my project car '91 740 turbo soon. One of the areas Im looking for ideas in is replacing the stock headlights. Im thinking of coming up with something custom on my own since there isnt much out there for aftermarket bolt on assemblies. Just wondering what ideas everyone here has come up with. Pictures are always nice so feel free to attach some. Thanks

usually most people go with e-codes.

i remember seeing one older 240 with mercedes headlights, but it looked fugly.

interested to see what you do

I got replacements for the sealed beams so I could put in different bulbs, then got the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. Set me back about $40 for the lenses and another $40 for the Silverstars (about 90 with tax) but it was well worth it. Oh and I have imitation HID driving lights too which really help when you're going around corners.

currently (since they were off the car already) i am working on cleaning and polishing my lenses and blacking out my headlights, will post pics of the finished product... when its finished lol!

I got replacements for the sealed beams so I could put in different bulbs, then got the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. Set me back about $40 for the lenses and another $40 for the Silverstars (about 90 with tax) but it was well worth it. Oh and I have imitation HID driving lights too which really help when you're going around corners.

Do you have any pics?

No pics for right now - I'll try to take some when I get home later today. They are the 4x6 rectangular ones although I've seen the cheapie plastic housings for a few different bulb types. I'm not a 740 guy myself so to be honest I don't know what headlights they came with.

Not everyone's bag... See pic in sig.
E-code rounds, Osram 100/80 bulbs in the outers, Phillips 130 "rally" bulbs in the highs... Bosch relays (1 for lows, 2 for highs), 10ga wire, etc...

Again, not everyone digs 'em, but they light up the road WELL without being offensive.

I went with the conversion lights - changes the sealed lamps with ones you install an H4 bulb into - they come in various grades - put in the xtravision bulbs and they are very very bright - had to aim them down a fair bit to stop people from hi-beaming me!

Back