• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Thunderhill Track Day DVD ... Show Your Interest

endo

This meet and track day is starting to sound like the event to be at for volvo enthusiasts...but I'm sure many on the board will not be able to make it, so...

I've been mostly lurking on the board for the past year since upgrading to the turbo world...all of the automotive stuff is new to me and I've learned an incredible amount just reading the board every day, enough to where I feel pretty confident taking stuff apart on my cars now (putting it back together, well, lets just say that I usually get it right on the second or third try :oops: ). However, I'm not nearly at the level yet where I feel I can contribute much to the discussions...

What I do do better than most though is digital media...especially video. And I've been looking for an excuse to rent a new dv wunderkam and put it through it's paces. Davis/Thunderhill looks like the perfect excuse to do so, and finally contribute something back to the turbobricks community...

So my plan is to get out and fully document the events...perhaps even get some first-person perspective from the passenger seat of these legendary volvos (if anyone's willing to give me a ride :wink: ). I'll be able to make some of the video available online, but ultimately plan to put together a DVD and make it available at minimal cost (<$10, basically enough to cover the cost of the discs, cases and labels).

This will not be a home movie, I guarantee...this is what I do for a living. I think it would be great to have something to show your friends when you tell them you're into volvo performance and they get that funny look on their face :?:

I'm open to any suggestions that you guys feel would make this a better project...

Evan

Well, you should look at it this way, the longer I lag the more of a chance you have! :owned: Thats alright, I get to finally order my AIC on monday (good paycheck finally!) so its all fun and games ya know!

If you need anyhelp though with the 242 let me know!

Evan, that sounds EXTREMELY awsome! If you want, try to get in touch with Lee Cordner, (I have his email addy, email me @ sacvolvo@hotmail.com ) Im sure he'll flip over it!

your more than welcome to ride with me, but I have a feeling that the real show will be in John or Pat's car!...course you'd probably get to see them both from my car!

Doug

OMG OMG OMG

I will order 17!

RUB IT IN PEOPLE's NOSES that VOLVOS ARE FAST!

:twisted:

OMG OMG OMG

(since I'm poor I'll order one and if I like it enough I will order the rest ;) )

If its even remotely good, I have ALOT of people in Dallas that would LOVE to get one! They'd watch it over and over and over...

and over.

(this is coming from a guy who watches getaway from stockholm about twice a week...)

:p

I don't know if I can make it down... but I would sure be interested in the video! Hey Jordan, how are you getting down there?

Weezil,

I'll be driving the GT. Need a ride and split the gas?

PM me

Endo, can I be inthe video? I'll bring an extra set of tires to burn off for it.... :lol:

Jordan

Glad to see so much enthusiasm for this project...I'll definitely get in touch with Lee Cordner and see what he thinks.

I'm also looking into the idea of rigging up a small helmet-cam which could be mounted externally on some of the cars...

Matt, maybe we can work out some kind of volume discount :D

as it gets closer I'll put together a site to guage interest, if enough people want copies I'll get an actual run done, it'll be easier for me that way (DVD burners are slooooow, 30 minutes/disc!).

Jordan, bring the tires! Your car disappearing in a cloud of smoke can be the background loop for the main menu...

Title? hmmm...Den Fort och den Rasande?

Evan

I'll probably buy a few copies also. To give out at the local Volvo club meets.

Maybe I'll see about putting a little thing in our newsletter about the show.

The tires will be in the trunk. Too bad it won't be painted by then. But thats the point of Volvo performance, beats with power right?

I've started saving for the trip. I've got the tires ready to go.

Maybe I should bring a spare M46 with me too?

Jordan

It's unlikely I'll make a 3000 mile trip to the track day, but I would DEFINITELY buy a DVD or three to see the action, PLUS I wouldn't have to download countless clips at 56K. This is a great idea.

That'd be damned cool. I think you'd need a group of photographers though. several at the track at different points, some clips of the dyno runs, and the show.
Could probably do it yourself but you'd be running around a lot.
maybe start a thread to try to recruit people who can take digital video?

It would be nice to have several people shooting...I'll definitely have two cameras with me, if I can get it built in time one will use a small 'spy camera' with a suction mount that could be placed pretty much anywhere on any of the cars. The other is a new camera which shoots '24p' meaning it will look like film rather than video - this alone will make the video look much better than most. The only problem is it won't intercut as smoothly with footage from other cameras. Still, if there are going to be other people there who can/will be filming then I'll see if I can get copies of their footage for the disc. The only basic requirement is that they shoot on DV...

I'll be working out the details as things get closer...unfortunately my wedding is only 2 weeks before the meet, so I need to get the details of that out of the way before I start this project...

Evan

endo said:
...if I can get it built in time one will use a small 'spy camera' with a suction mount that could be placed pretty much anywhere on any of the cars.

That would be really cool! Just to let you know, SCCA rules specify that the camera must have at least 2 methods of attachment. Or at least this was the case for SCCA Autocross when I talked with a guy locally who shot video with a small camera mounted on his door. His was stuck on with a suction cup, then he taped it on, plus the cable, so he was covered.

I am planning on mounting my video camera on my roof rack, and film the whole thing from there, (looks really cool) But all I have is a sony 8mm camera. Unless someone wants to mount their's on top.
Im sure there would be lots of great shots of cars flying by :eek:
Id also be very interested in buying a few copies.

Endo,
I would be interested in a DVD also, regardless of if I make it down there for the event.

take care
Luke

Back