PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Meet Planning

Overboosted745
11-12-2002, 10:39 AM
Ok, I'm gonna re-start this thread here.

The couple of midwest guys on the board are thinking about a midwest meet. The midwest is a very broad area, and we're trying to figure out a good middle-ground where we could all meet, not have to pay any $$ to get in, and have it be semi-unique.

I know of one place in West Lafayette, IN (47906) that is free and kinda cool, its where my buddies in the BMW club have our weekly meets. It's on top of the tallest parking garage in the area, and when there you get a sweet 360 panoramic view of the wabash valley.

I've gotten some e-mails from board members around here saying that they'd drive a maximum of 3 - 4 hours one way from where they're at right now. I'd be willing to do the same.

If you've got ideas, post them on the board, along with the zip codes so all of us can "mapquest" some directions and times.

Ryan
mckennar@purdue.edu
West Lafayette, IN

towerymt
11-12-2002, 03:50 PM
Good luck with that. It's too bad the midwest is so big and spread out! We've got about 15-25 people within an hour of the Washington DC area, and more from nearby areas who would come for larger shows.

My advice about organizing an event is to gauge interest, pick a location and time, and set the date far in advance so you can get the word out. The more people you expect to show up, the farther in advance you should set the date (espeically if they're driving in from far away). I know from experience that last minute (within a week) attempts to get a meeting together will not work out very well.

We had one once when about 5 people were going to come and another half dozen or so weren't certain. 3 showed up, and that was the last time I tried a get together until the one I'm doing now.

Ted Johnson
11-14-2002, 08:34 PM
I say somewhere in Illinois... I'm in Iowa, some are in Wisconsin, Minn., Indiana, etc... Mid/southern illinois seems to be a good spot, about 4-5hrs from everywhere... maybe a little more for some, near or far out in Kentucky or Ohio, but semi adequate... I don't know.
I do have a fine circle track in my town that can be rented for events, has a fair ground too, just perfect for a large/medium scale meet. It's the only paved circle track in Iowa, and is sanctioned by Nascar... sits empty 99.9% of the time... somewhat pricey thought, so that may not be the route right now...
If we/you/us, can get an event going, make it annual (after two meets), maybe sponsorship and the like will follow... if the meet becomes big enough, Volvo may show up w/ their cool truck and some nice show cars, like the BTCC/Swedish S60 racer...
I'm pumped... if this happens in the spring, I'll have my car done, engine and suspension, maybe not body work, but that is only cosmetic and doesn't amount to much in performance...
My company's CEO is a big race fan, and would probably be down w/ some sort of sponsorship if I can throw a good line to him... I eat lunch w/ him usually once a week...

BoxDriver2
11-24-2002, 07:24 PM
Well, again, how about joining this thread with the other mid west meet post...

I'm in Michigan north of detroit so I can pretty much go all around, a few hours for a drive wouldn't be too bad.

Late

towerymt
11-24-2002, 07:43 PM
*Midwest Meet* still looking for ideas:
http://turbovolvo.saliv8.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=74

SquareD
11-24-2002, 08:16 PM
Peoria or Springfield IL maybe? Those places are centered in the midwest pretty well.

Volvo4Life
11-25-2002, 08:30 PM
im in ohio, southwest down by cincinnati. I would have to think about driving to illinois, indiana would be way more convenient :)

BoxDriver2
11-25-2002, 11:24 PM
I'd be up for it, are we planning this for next year i take it?
Late.

Blackbrick
11-27-2002, 06:49 PM
I live in Ct. but I travel all through the midwest regularly with enough notice I would toss the car on my trailer and show for shure. :lol: [/img][/list][/url][/quote][/i][/b]

BoxDriver2
11-29-2002, 02:18 AM
Are there any particular land marks to use for a gathering place, that would be the easiest place of them all to hold a meet and everyone can find it easily enough if they get lost.

Late.

Overboosted745
11-29-2002, 09:56 AM
I've been trying to look for places that are central to everybody, but so far 2-3 hours from some people is 4+ for others, and vice versa.

The midwest is so damn honkin huge and members are scattered so thin that it's hard to get a place that is pleasing to all.

As far as landmarks... it's the midwest... we have the Arch in STL, ummmmm maybe somewhere near chicago.

There's some talk about central illinois but I'm having troubles finding out what the HELL there is to do in central Illinois!!!

Now there IS a 1/4 dragstrip in Morocco Indiana called US41. That's in semi-northwestern Indiana and is no more than 15 min from Interstate 65. The surface isn't 100% but it's safer than street racing.

I was thinking it'd be a fun thing to do to do a lil drag day with our bricks but who knows. It's so early in the game right now that not only do we not know *where* to have it ,but also we don't know what to do when we get there. But if I were to vote, cast 1 for drag day.

Ryan
West Lafayette, IN

BoxDriver2
11-29-2002, 01:59 PM
Drag day would be pretty cool to do, would give us way to kill the day and would also give us time to fix whatever someone breaks :wink:

Late

SquareD
11-29-2002, 07:49 PM
Yeah, central IL doesn't have a drag strip. What about southwestern IN? Evansville maybe. Somewhere in west central or southwest IN that would be kinda central? Indy would be a long haul for me. I'd be good if we're going to have a drag day that we set it up near someone's home who has tools, just incase.

Or the STL, dirty!

Anonymous
11-29-2002, 09:53 PM
Yes! a midwest meet would be fantastik. I'm in se WI and would travel 5-6 hrs. How about a swapmeet, nothing fancy, just sell by yer car or at some designated area? Maybe we could do an informal poll just to see where the most interest lies.

Ed Moczulewski 87 245; turbo sways, 760 wheels,2.25 exhaust,530i seats and soon a v 15 cam

Overboosted745
11-30-2002, 02:47 AM
http://www.dragnbreath.com/US41Dragway/MapDir.html#Anchor

here's the link to the directions on how to get to the dragway in northwest central IN.

I'd be willing to drive to southwest IN to go drag providing someone volunteers to "take one for the team" and be the support car. The problem with this might be that it's too far away from our northern T-Brickers in WI and MI etc.

A swap meet will probably take place in the parking lot of wherever we meet when we're either pre-staging or hanging out at the end of the day... but I know for a fact my car will be in race trim... i.e. stripped interior, no spare etc...

Anonymous
11-30-2002, 02:38 PM
I live near Greatlakes Dragaway and each year they have a huge VW meet. It works out well for them, why not for us? I think that the hwy41 spot would be a fine location. Would we need insurance or would we just sign a waver? How about camping, cooking, food available or venders? Spring could be a good time. I've been to many BMW cycle rallies and many are located away from large cities. This appeals to me because you get the local "flavor" and get to see a new area. Also the locals are often very friendly if they have been informed ahead of time so that they know what to expect. As long as we respect the people and their town we will probably be welcomed back. Money spent in the area is always welcomed.

Ed

BoxDriver2
11-30-2002, 03:45 PM
Hey, I'm not that far north in MI, I'm just north of Detroit. Yahoo says its roughly a ~300 mile drive/little over 5 hours, assuming that is following posted speed limits :wink:

So I usually add about another hour or so if there are delays, traffic, etc and unexpected things.

I'd probably be willing to go there, I know theres a Milan Dragway here off US-23 also and there's one in northern MI called Ubly thats only 1/8 mile, and Northern dragway.

http://www.milandragway.com

http://www.ublydragway.com

and

http://www.ublydragway.com/northernhome.htm

I'd be willing to travel probably anywhere just that, obviously, we want the place thats best so that everyone can go/make the drive.

We also need to figre out costs too such as if we have to rent the tracks or what depending on where we go.

We should get a list of places and make a poll to see whats more favorable. :boink:

Late

Jagman_1
11-30-2002, 07:15 PM
Hmm id definantly have no problem driven my little 240 down to indiana, its not too far really (commin from grand rapids michigan) jsut thought id throw my hat in the ring and say id be down with goin there

BoxDriver2
11-30-2002, 07:34 PM
I'm over in Birmingham, MI. Do you know Nathan up in GR?

Yeah, this is definitely going to work out.

Late.

SquareD
11-30-2002, 11:24 PM
I'd don't know about Morocco, that'd be a long haul for me (map quest says it's 6 hours), I'd have to pay for a hotel to spend the night. I know because of the size of the midwest it's going to be hard, but I'd like to set up a day trip (4 hours drive time each way max). If school duties don't strap me down to bad and a lot of people say they are going to make it I might be able to do a far drive.

Fishey
12-02-2002, 05:57 PM
I am thinking Mid-Ohio would be the best spot. I think that Mid-Ohio should be open at least some tim e next year cost might be high but the track is top notch... Also D.C. isnt to far and illinois is about the same I would say its the middle of the area we want.

SquareD
12-02-2002, 09:10 PM
Mid-Ohio is damn near to the eastern seaboard for me coming from Missouri. It'd be closer for Michael and Dana to make it to mid ohio than me, there's no way I'd make that. There's probably some good places to have it in Ohio and it's a pretty state, but I don't think it's centered enough in the midwest. Chicago or Indy maybe. For me I could stay overnight at my parents in central IL and have a short drive to Chi or Indy the next day. Plus the car's in Peoria.

Fishey
12-03-2002, 03:47 PM
OK agreed umm well Indiana
Lol we could try to get the indinapolis motor speedway LMAO (yea that will not happen)

FlatWagon83
12-05-2002, 08:19 PM
Has anyone considered KC? It's right in the middle of the whole country and has plenty of places to meet. My friend and I are in central Kansas going to school and would both like to come, but Indiana, Ohio, too far. I know this just moves it closer to us, but it is sort of the middle of everything. I divide my time between Kansas (school) and Minnesota (Home) so the farther you head towards the middle is kick ass for me.

Anonymous
12-09-2002, 01:17 AM
If it over close to Cincinnati Oh I'll be there

Joe
1990 Volvo 240
17.4 at 79.10
Automatic w/performance cam

SquareD
12-11-2002, 11:43 PM
We could have it in the parking lot of my apartment complex :?

But really guys, I realize that this is on the back burner till spring or so but the midwest is so friggin big that if we want to have a big turn out a lot of people will have to sacrifice. I realize that a lot of people just can't drive 8 hours but I'm willing to drive 6 hours or so if we can get a good turn out. Together we can do this!!!!! It would be worth it to me to get together and hang out with a big group of t'bricksters.

ethan240
12-12-2002, 11:47 PM
When is the midwest meet going to be?

Overboosted745
12-13-2002, 10:34 AM
Spring sometime...

I've been lookinghere and there for places within a radius of some of the popular "hangouts" and from what people have PM'ed me with, it looks like there's only 5 or 6 people that could make it to each place...

Indiana is a central point, but also it's kinda east too because the midwest goes to the plains states too...

Maybe if there's a track in central Illinois or something we could meet at. I wanna make this a track day (!!!)

SquareD
12-13-2002, 01:56 PM
no 1/4 milers in central IL, I used to live in Peoria and when I wanted to go run I had to go to cordova in NW IL on the IA border or to the STL, those were closest.

PFunk242
12-13-2002, 08:43 PM
Screw 1/4's lets get a real track thats what i say. I bet that 1/4's can be fun i haven't run one yet but i want to have a real party. Well thats what i saw at least. I dunno if any of you guys like that idea or not but that is what i have to say about that.

swede242
12-14-2002, 12:47 PM
I live about an hour from Mid-Ohio. Real nice area. I'm in North-Central Ohio but spend alot of time in Toledo. I'll drive within a 350 mile radius. We could even have more than one meet, eh?

T-5R
12-27-2002, 07:39 PM
I am up for a meet in MI, IN, OH, IL & WI. Also this spring I have 3 guys from MI and 3 more from the Chicago area planning a meet in South Haven, Michigan. Let me know if anyone is interested in joining us. The more the better!

Snapple
01-09-2003, 11:43 PM
Anyone thought about louisville KY????... it is mad close to lots of places... not just Midwest but lots of people can come from VERY far around.... thats why UPS has their Main Air Hub here... close to everything... also louisville is a decent sized city... 16th in the nation as of monday... plenty to do, cheap hotels, and lots of convention space

Super1800GTR
01-11-2003, 01:33 AM
Now THAT's what I'm talking about!! :o :D

How many ppl here are in KY??? Or close to KY??

I vote autocross. I know of @least one other 1800 owner who lives here. There's a college kid (I think) who has an 850T5R & races a few times. We should get an autocross "club" together. The facilities are awesome & the ppl are great.

Plus you'll get to see me Rippin up my tires on the course.
Hopefully I'll have my complete suspension on by the 1st event.
Usually starts around the middle to end of MARCH (depending on the weather).

Rob

01-14-2003, 04:10 AM
I'm in central MO and could go a few hours ti IL. Kansas City would rock though. As long as it isnt too far or high altitude, im not overboosted.

dm245
01-21-2003, 01:00 AM
i'm in louisville, i'm game. haven't looked at the map,where is West Lafayette In. ?

Overboosted745
01-21-2003, 10:42 AM
West lafayette is approximately 4 - 5 hours from Louisville. It took me 4 hours to get to southern Indiana to do some paintballin, and one night in the weekend we drove there (took 5 minutes) to do some hardcore bar hopping. Yeah that helped with accuracy the next morning...not really.

The "track" is 40 minutes north of me.

Depending on which way we go, it can be either a spirited 40 minutes, or a boring, highway drive 40 minutes. We can drive 26 west to 41 north and see who has the fastest car (with the best brakes too) before we get to the track... Or we can drive 65 North to the US41 exit and drive... well... 65mph. But still, its not even a definite that we'll meet in West Lafayette.

Any more ideas? I'd like to put up a poll to see where the most popular place to meet would be, because everyone is just throwing out ideas left and right and I'm too lazy to go back through and recount.

Wherever we meet, I'd like to go to some kind of 1/4 track... and so far one of the more central locations is around me, and there's a track around too.

dm245
01-22-2003, 12:10 AM
here in louisville we have the ohio valley raceway but i don't remember if it's 1/8 or 1/4 mile track . it's close to fort knox in case something breaks and you need funding!

Overboosted745
01-23-2003, 05:44 PM
its a 1/8 mile. IMO 1/8 mile's aren't as fun, although you can extrapolate your 1/4 time from them.

BoxDriver2
02-16-2003, 05:27 PM
I'd be up for anything really, as long as i can leave early in the AM the day of and be home the same day [or get home so i can catch some breakfast ;)]

Lets keep it going, good thread.

Never really went down an autox course in the brick or the 1/4 mile. AutoX would be alot more fun since i don't plan to run the car hard [if i still have it...].

Either way, we need to figure this out. When are spring breaks for everyone?

Later.

:woowoo:

lcordner
02-17-2003, 12:49 PM
Hi,

I'm Lee Cordner, president of The Volvo Club of America. We have wanted to do a midwest meet for several years but have the same problem you seem to be having. Not enough people and too much distance.

We do 3 days of events including banquets and track days and autocrosses, concours judging, etc. so we need 200-300 people in attendance to pay the bills. Renting a roadcourse for track day costs $6000 min. by the time you buy insurance, pay flaggers, etc. I realize this may not be the kind of thing you are looking to do, but if you drive for 4-6 hours you expect it to be worth while. We do fine on the coasts, but we have not been able to get enough response to make us feel confident about a midwest meet.

Anyway, I got involved in this to offer to help publicize the event. We have several chapters around the midwest who might be interested in this type of activity. Perhaps you could get them involved and they could help you put together a larger event. You also need to think about insurance. If you use a facility, like a track or a hotel or even a park, they will ask you for your policy before they agree to allowing you in. You can show up and take your chances, but if you go to all the effort and time and get people driving long distances you want it to be smooth. VCOA carries a million dollar liability policy that can be used to cover events like this by having one of our chapters work with you on the event and promote it in our magazine.

I hope this is helpful. If I can do anything at all to assist or help with publicity for the event, please let me know.

Lee Cordner
join VCOA online at www.voca.org

tnomud
02-17-2003, 02:11 PM
Ohio has some great drag strips and Mid Ohio Road race course for us SCCA guys...................

Super1800GTR
02-17-2003, 10:49 PM
I remember that the guy who I bought my 1800 from went to an all Volvo show/track thing at Indy Speedway. It was a while ago (back in the early '90s) but maybe now's a good time to bring it back. i think INDY would be pretty much centered & you know it's gonna have GREAT facilities. Mid Ohio would be my second choice.

Rob

SquareD
02-18-2003, 07:37 PM
Yeah I remember the Indy meet, I wanted to go sooooo bad but the overdrive was out in my car and I didn't feel like driving 50 the whole way.

dm245
02-23-2003, 10:13 PM
springs around the corner. can we do something in this area? i hope so. super 1800 was that your 1800 running around Crestwood?

Super1800GTR
02-23-2003, 11:11 PM
Yeah.. that's my project car. I haven't driven it in a while b/c i have the turbo & i've slowly been getting it (1800) ready for autocross. I feel lonley b/c i'm the only one w/ a Volvo :D . We need some more representation. I think the 1st event is around the end of March. I'll post more info. once I find out.

Rob

Super1800GTR
03-23-2003, 11:06 PM
Autocross next sunday!!!!!!!! Go to

www.kyscca.org for more info.

Rob

780_Bertone
03-29-2003, 05:37 PM
people keep saying that there isn't any

dragstrips in central illinois. i believe that one of the best is here in illinois. it's more towards the north,

but has anybody ever been to the route 66 dragstrip in joliet? i know that my uncle races his funny car there

every so often. also, there is a nice little 1/4 mile strip in byron illinois that i have gone to a couple of

times with him. just a suggestion. i'd be very interested in meeting up as long as it isn't too far away from

the chicago land area.

LoDownRidaz
04-13-2003, 12:57 AM
I am in wisconsin in the madison area and i think that if we could get together anywhere close to me i will be there. I fact i could even get the rest of the guys from my car club to go too. Let me know if anything is planned and the Lo Down Ridaz will be there.

brickhead
04-17-2003, 08:48 AM
I'm gamed for a volvo meet. Let me when and where.

Anonymous
04-29-2003, 05:54 PM
Ok, I think we REALLY need to start planning something out here. Its almost the end of finals for people, so we need to work it out.

We need to get a vote on locations first, then go from there.

Come on people, lets see what we can do :x: :x: :x:

SquareD
04-29-2003, 11:49 PM
I really don't think we'll be able to work out meet for the entire Midwest region. It'd be bad arse if we could because there's alot of us, but we're so spread out. People might have to organize more local meets like an upper midwest meet in the Chi-town area and maybe a southern midwest meet maybe at one of the Louis', St. Louie or Louieville. Of course I'd like to line up a St. Louis meet, I could definately make that, it's only about 2-2.5 hours away. Any thoughts? I saw the pictures of the Davis California meet and I really want to meet up with some fellow bricksters, looks like fun.

own6volvos
04-29-2003, 11:51 PM
I could make the STL meet if it was around the correct time..

SquareD
04-29-2003, 11:53 PM
Some weekend in June would be best for me. Later in the summer is when my master's research is going to be kickin' in.

BoxDriver2
05-01-2003, 09:06 PM
Ah well...if nothing happens, this will definitely suck.

I just don't think anyone is motivated enough etc to bother but whatever. :e-shrug:

I guess I'll just hit up the London meet and the super small one in MI again this summer :-)

I don't plan to hit that ford celebration thing, 25 bucks to see some fords and pretty much no bricks when I can see all the Fords I want at the classic car show and dream cruise :roll: :roll:

BoxDriver2
05-01-2003, 09:21 PM
BTW, can we set up a poll of some sort to vote whats what and where it will be? That could help "define" what we want and where.

:boink: :boink: :boink:

FlatWagon83
05-01-2003, 09:59 PM
Starting in June I'm in Minnesota for good, but Kansas until then, so if something were arranged near Kansas City (which is a pretty central location anyway) I would definitely be there. I would also bring friends with some damn quick bricks. If it were June or later, Chicago would probably be farther than I would want to drive. But if something is set up, I'll definitely consider it.

Erik

SquareD
05-12-2003, 05:05 PM
St. Louis? Mid to late June? Anyone? I'm moving my 744 down early July, so sometime in July would even be good. I'm looking for people to meet in the STL. Should be at least a few of us that can get together.

Mid-Mo740TI
06-06-2003, 01:05 AM
St. Louis? Mid to late June? Anyone? I'm moving my 744 down early July, so sometime in July would even be good. I'm looking for people to meet in the STL. Should be at least a few of us that can get together.

STL... I'll be there... Also, I work at a holiday in and could hook up some good cheap rooms. They cost me $29 plus tax. I can get up to 3.

Benjam83
07-03-2003, 12:44 AM
I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but i'm getting a small meet together in Davenport on the last Saturday in July. if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll give you the info you need. It's totally free and should be a good time to meet up and check out everyone's rides.

BTW, If anyone is willing to try to get a national meet going, I would be more than happy to help out and try to help organize it.

SquareD
07-03-2003, 12:31 PM
Davenport's like 6 hours away from me, too far for me. I'm still interested in a STL meet, maybe early August. I will have my 744 down by then and will be finished with my thesis fieldwork, and moved. I'm serious about doing something in August before school fires back up. I don't start until late August so lets do this.

Benjam83
07-03-2003, 08:47 PM
hell yeah, I should be back in Carbondale by then. I'm game. I'd just need directions. I wouldn't want to take the wrong exit and end up in E StL and get a cap popped in myass

ovlov760
07-11-2003, 12:29 AM
I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread, but i'm getting a small meet together in Davenport on the last Saturday in July. if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll give you the info you need. It's totally free and should be a good time to meet up and check out everyone's rides.

BTW, If anyone is willing to try to get a national meet going, I would be more than happy to help out and try to help organize it.
Do you know an exact when and where yet? I'd like to try to show up... it will be about a 2-3 hour drive for me. Do you know where ultimate electronics is? There parking lot is usually empty. Also uniqueTII lives in ames, IA. He doesn't own a Volvo but might be interesting to see if he wants to show up.

own6volvos
07-17-2003, 04:57 AM
:wave:

I am open pretty much the rest of the summer.. someone please get some central location thing going :-)