• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

I got me a 242 GT!

carnut1100

Well, last night I got my new '79 242 GT and I LOVE it!!!
Plenty of little mods and accessories from later model 240s like the electric mirrors, 4 speed heater, later tails and bumpers, Virgos etc as well as a thermo-fan and lowered springs and decent shocks etc........And for the first time I own a car with a CD player....

Here's pics anyhow.

My242GT1.jpg

My242GT2.jpg

My242GT3.jpg

My242GT4.jpg

My242GT5.jpg

My242GT6.jpg

My242GT7.jpg

My242GT8.jpg

My242GT9.jpg

My242GT10.jpg

My242GT11.jpg

My242GT12.jpg

My242GT13.jpg

My little brother......the baby of the family.
He loves it, wouldn't get out of teh back seat for ages!
I am reliably informed that the back seat is quite bouncy on bumps......but a car like this is all about the FRONT seats!:-D

VERY nice 242. Nice clean Virgo's too. Keep em that way cause they're a PITA when brakedust gets all up on the lip.

::edit:: Do you have a large shipping crate in your driveway? Looks like that came off of a freight ship.

Nice GT. Interesting clutch pedal position. Looks like someone decided that they wanted to be able to apply both the brakes and disengage the clutch with one foot.

I do like the headlamp covers. Wish they were available in the USA.

-J

VERY nice 242. Nice clean Virgo's too. Keep em that way cause they're a PITA when brakedust gets all up on the lip.

::edit:: Do you have a large shipping crate in your driveway? Looks like that came off of a freight ship.
Yeah, the house has no shed and it is only a short term rental so we hired a shipping container to put all of the good stuff in. Costs $4 a day but it is worth it as a garden shed is just not big enough....

Nice one!
Time to update the sig?
Absolutely. Shall be done soon. The Pug and Transit will be replaced by little Bro's 360 and teh 242!

Nice ride. The only problem I see it the steering wheel being misplaced. That can be fixed.
:-P

Nice GT. Interesting clutch pedal position. Looks like someone decided that they wanted to be able to apply both the brakes and disengage the clutch with one foot.

-J
Yeah, the clutch is in a weird spot, but it was like that when the previous owner got it. You get used to it though..

looks very clean matey.. great buy..

haha its funny as nearly every photo you lil brother is poking his head up its like wheres wally... haha

Yeah, he's a funny little bugger. He was jumping in and pulling faces when I first tried to photograph the car!

The paint is not up to much but the previous owner spent all his money on the mechanicals. The stripes came off for a repaint that never happened.
There are a few minor dings but there is a spare bonnet and boot in silver with no dents or pins and a complete '80s style front end ( which I won't be fitting ) and heaps of spares.
Also might have a lead on a GT with good doors but rusted to buggery and the front stoved in where it hit some junk that fell off a truck.
Good source of spares methinks. Apparently it is pretty much beyond fixing....

All in all, I am pretty happy getting it for $3k....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 245GT-Turbo

-J

Yeah, the clutch is in a weird spot, but it was like that when the previous owner got it. You get used to it though..

My gt pedal was like that. the bolt that holds the pedal box to the fire wall has probly come out. I took the pedal box out and it was bent because the bolt wasnt in and the pressure of the clutch. Its an easy fix..

Looks good, mine looked like that when I got it. I hope to have to the painted late this year early next, noe the kitchen has been done.

Is Australia like California as the cars don't seem to get very rusty there or is it you just found a good car?

Bit of both really.
In the Outback cars never get real rust, they just bake off the paint and get covered in surface rust, down by the coast, especially in the tropical areas, cars rust like it is an olympic sport.
where I am is pretty dry and cars don't rust too fast.
BUT.....this is an especially good shell. Most GTs here so I have been told, have rust in the rear quarters and most old 240s have rust in the bottom windscreen corners and often in the spare wheel well ( although that is not on the GT) .

Plans for the time being are to use as a daily driver while the 164E gets done up and maybe a few small mods. Thinking about electric windows if I can do it without it looking like a bodge job, eg 4 switches in the armrest and a cover on the original winder hole etc.
It will get one of the awesome shifters sold on here.
It is going to get a rally cluster when I find one.
Possibly a matching set of front seats instead of one stock and one racing bucket, a pair of buckets.
Maybe a stereo upgrade some day, maybe not.
The Dracos I am getting for my 164 might end up on the GT instead, and the Virgos on the 164. Not sure yet.
It just might get Megasquirted after the 164 is on the road and it will get a complete bare metal repaint and new stripes when I have the time, funds, and proper workshop to do it in.
Might delete the bonnet pins at the same time, I am not certain if I like them or not.
I think I will respray a spare bonnet without pins at the same time so I can change when I want.

My gt pedal was like that. the bolt that holds the pedal box to the fire wall has probly come out. I took the pedal box out and it was bent because the bolt wasnt in and the pressure of the clutch. Its an easy fix..

Happened on my 264GLE once I converted it too, then when pulling the car apart it was found!

Car looks awesome mate, nice stance and the bonnet pins are so you can take it on track days.

Nice...
I like the supportiveness of the bucket type seat, but you are right, itis a little bit "fully sik" for my taste. The steering wheel on the other hand, I love...

From that site, what I would like ( seeing I am not fitting harnesses so don't need harness slots) is something like this, but trimmed in the GT black cord with the red stripe...
custom_41.jpg

Back