• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

radiators, auto into a manual and use for oil cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Hi I was wondering if I put my radiator from an automatic into my manual car if I could use it for cooling the oil and eliminate the oil cooler? Is is efficient enough? wouldn't it work even better being with the water (keep it a constant 180 degrees)? Any downsides? does it hold enough oil?
Thanks!
Sean

Unfortunately it won't work...The tranny cooler doesn't flow nearly enough to accomodate engine oil flowrate/pressure. I'm interested in improving the cooling characteristics of my car as well, so I'm exploring the option of a 3 row radiator and an aftermarket oil cooler. Once I get my beast on the road (Machine shop delays :evil: ) I plan on posting some info with actual temperature data. Also, I may be wrong but I think 180 degrees is actually a little hotter than you would like your oil to be. I remember reading that 190 is maximum temperature before bad things start to happen-granted 180 degrees is 10 below that, but I'm a firm believer in a BIG safety cushion when it comes to stuff like engine life.

Later,

Matthew

Later model 940s use coolant to cool the oil instead of an external oil cooler like the ones on early pre 90's 740s. Basically where the oil lines come out from the filter adapter, they are replaced with coolant lines coming from where the drain tap was in the block at the back and from the heater line.

However, I wouldn't use the radiator as an oil cooler. Something about the oil next to the coolant, if it leaks into the coolant you may mistake it for a bad headgasket :mrgreen:

Late.

The pressure isn't the main deal, autos have way more line pressure than engines do. Flow might not be enough (that and oil is thicker) but pressure wise it'd be fine.

That being said, external oilcooler is the best way to go for all the above stated reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back