• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Project Frankengauge

Tamnakz

So, I've got a few clusters that I'm going to try to turn into what I'd like.

IMG_4501.jpg

The top one is (afaik) an '82-'83 74x cluster. I found it today, got it for a great price. . .I've never seen another one in person.

The bottom one is out of an '84 760, with the 760 6 cylinder oil temp and pressure gauges.

Here's the backs of them:

IMG_4511.jpg

'82-'83

IMG_4513.jpg

'84

IMG_4512.jpg

Ok. I'm going to stay with the '84 case. the fronts are identical, but from the back, the speedometers are NOT interchangeable. I'm going to be doing more than 85. I'd like to replace the clock in the '84 cluster with the integrated coolant temp/fuel level. I'll likely move the coolant temp/pressure gauges to the same side, and run the clock and voltage gauge on the other. I'm going to have boost, coolant temp and likely a pyrometer in a custumized gauge in place of the center vents.

WHY this thread? Anyone who knows about compatibility/incompatibility for these things, please chime in here. I know one of the gauges differs from my '87 745. I believe it was fuel, but there's a thread hidden on here that has some more information, I'll link it when I find it.

Hopefully I'll be able to get the fuel/coolant gauge into the case without too much hassle, and find a reasonable way to make everything work without any magical puffs of smoke.

one v6 one is yazaki and the 82-83 one is VDO...I THINK.

evidenced by the splits between the odometer digits.

Not sure how much they interchange, but I'm am pretty sure the wiring isn't the same to the car harness.

It's not a V6 cluster.
It's out of an '84 760 B23FT. The rest of the car is in my garage. The oil pressure/temp gauges were swapped in.

that's really cool man, the first cluster is EXTREMELY rare, the second one has a cool set of gauges in it. good luck with the project!

I believe there's an ambient temp gauge for the 7xx cluster. Other than that gauge, I believe I have EVERY gauge that was available to fit in the 7xx dash.

MrBill, I've got a few VDO's, this is the only one of that vintage.

Hopefully I can get things to work the way I want them to.

As long as theh gauges are good, I can make it work. Even if I've got to hardwire the whole cluster, I'm more than capable and have the patience.

in the 82-83 ones the small gauges (4) are interchangable, in the 84+ ones the bottom ones aren't, while the top ones are.
so what you're going to do seems possible. The combinated fuel/temp gauge actuallay is not designed to be placed in an 84+ cluster though.
If you want to put the voltmeter or small clock into the 84+ cluster, it will not be plug&play, you will have to find your own way.
Always remember, the gauges in the 82-83 cluster are NOT lighted from behind, their faces are NOT transparent. That's why the 82-83 clusters have three bulbs in the top, not in the back.
I did something similar to what you are going to, this is what it looks like:
http://gallery.volvo-welt.de/d/87791-3/IMG_3059.JPG
I still plan to add the indirect lighting from above though.

It won't allow me to see your photo.

The lighting information is good!

The fuel/temp gauge will haev to be lit fully from the front, right?

I'll be switching just about everything to LED anyways, so that should help alot.

the opening for the fuel/temp gauge seems the same size as the tach, but I haven't measured yet. If it is I shouldn't have a problem making it work.

yes the fuel/temp gauge, as well as all gauges from the 82-83 cluster have to be lit from the front

the opening is the same size, but the fuel/temp gauge has 4 studs which the tach does not have. so it could be a bit tricky

picture once again:

that's one of the most unique OEM parts Volvo made for the 7series. If you have all senders that belong to it, it's worth a bunch!

A local guru who's worked at the biggest Volvo shop in Michigan since it opened had one complete. He sold it to a swede who restored an imported '84 760 for upwards 1k. . .

Back