• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My new Project....1983 242 Group A

wireguy

I hope this works. This is the old owner's pictures of her. I paid $2,800.00 for her. She's a little rough but not bad for a long term project. The chassis numbers jive with the Group A numbers. Was $2,800 too much for a piece of history?

Comments?
Should I restore her back to original or go modified?

penny

If it is worth it to you, then yes it was worth it. That is all that matters.

Looks like a good base to start from, pretty clean looking.

Jordan

Thanks for the help everyone. She is a little old and gray like me so I figured, "what the hell!" I will need parts but I need to do a thorough once over first.

Let the project begin!

I'd modify it since, imo, it's not a real homologation car.

EDIT: Did you get any spare original parts that were taken off of it when you bought it?

Last edited:
Did volvo call normal 242 turbos group a over there?
Look snormal to me,no cage or anything.
was it a sales pitch over there?

Volvo marketing.
500 US-spec cars - one of the US TBers will correct this if Im not quite right - had specific features, including our normal early, up to '83 bonnet, and a different VIN which identifies them as something special.

They weren't really 'homologation' spec cars, ie. to meet Group A rules with a minimum of 500 as they didnt have the getrag box, lsd, etc.
I'd consider them as more of a limited run car with a different VIN to prove you had something a little special.

Volvo marketing.
500 US-spec cars - one of the US TBers will correct this if Im not quite right - had specific features, including our normal early, up to '83 bonnet, and a different VIN which identifies them as something special.

They weren't really 'homologation' spec cars, ie. to meet Group A rules with a minimum of 500 as they didnt have the getrag box, lsd, etc.
I'd consider them as more of a limited run car with a different VIN to prove you had something a little special.
They were used to homologate, never said anything about the cars actually having anything mechanically different on them. Do you really think they inspected all 500 cars thoroughly?

They have no "special features" other than a different market hood and grill. They don't have "special" VIN numbers. They have SO numbers. And what is this 500 US Spec cars stuff?

They were used to homologate, never said anything about the cars actually having anything mechanically different on them. Do you really think they inspected all 500 cars thoroughly?

They have no "special features" other than a different market hood and grill. They don't have "special" VIN numbers. They have SO numbers. And what is this 500 US Spec cars stuff?

Maybe I've misread the 'homologation car' thing for the US.
But, 'real homologation cars' are actually much closer to the race car, than what is called a homologation car in the US.

I thought the difference in a US homologation 240 was more than just a grille and bonnet - now I'm scratching my head even more about why people think they're so desirable. ;-)

Whats the 'SO number'?

Here's some homologation info on the Holden VL Commodore for Group A racing.
I dont know a huge amount about the technical details of Group A spec commodores but it doesnt seem particularly innaccurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_VL_Commodore_SS_Group_A_SV

So, its a 'real' homologation-run car, rather than a marketing exercise consisting of a different bonnet and grille.

Wiki has a really good group a homologation link, which supports what I'd always thought, in that the Volvo 240 Homolgation cars were sold in Europe and the 'US homolgation' cars were just a marketing exercise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_A

Last edited:
Maybe I've misread the 'homologation car' thing for the US.
But, 'real homologation cars' are actually much closer to the race car, than what is called a homologation car in the US.

I thought the difference in a US homologation 240 was more than just a grille and bonnet - now I'm scratching my head even more about why people think they're so desirable. ;-)

Whats the 'SO number'?
The Volvo 240 homologation cars are no more than a 83 standard turbo with a factory installed intercooler and a different hood and grill than the "regular" US Spec turbos had.

Why are they so desireable? Cuz it's the rarest street 242 that is easily findable.

SO number is stamped on the strut tower plate. It probably stands for "Special Order" or something along those lines.

Here's some homologation info on the Holden VL Commodore for Group A racing.
I dont know a huge amount about the technical details of Group A spec commodores but it doesnt seem particularly innaccurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holden_VL_Commodore_SS_Group_A_SV

So, its a 'real' homologation-run car, rather than a marketing exercise consisting of a different bonnet and grille.

Wiki has a really good group a homologation link, which supports what I'd always thought, in that the Volvo 240 Homolgation cars were sold in Europe and the 'US homolgation' cars were just a marketing exercise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_A
Comparing to a Holden? Really?

Did you not read the link you just posted?

Comparing to a Holden? Really?

Did you not read the link you just posted?

It's not a question of which I'd prefer - easy answer to that question. :)
I read both and found them interesting.

The Commodore link provides details on the spec of 'real' homologation cars (regardless of manfacturer) rather than a marketing campaign that saw Volvo in the US promote a 'homologation model' with only very minor differences.

It was simply a reference to the homologation process for the Group A Touring car class, though there is a paragraph in the more generalised second link that refers to the Volvo 240 and what happened to the real homologation spec cars sold in Europe (unfortunately not here).

It's pretty interesting reading. I had some really good links somewhere which I should dig up and post.

Back