• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What kind of car is this?

kyle242gt

Still has a Volvo
Volvo%201.jpg

It's supposed to be a 95 945T. If that's the case, what's the model with the sloped headlights, integrated fogs, black eggcrate grille, and hydras?

Planning a future upgrade when we run out of space for the family in our 90 744T

pretty much any 90+ 740/940 could of had the option for the intergrated fogs .. but that doesn't mean for 100% sure its going to have the eggcrate grill...

those cars use different headlightassembly's and bumpers(along w/ bumper trim) so if you wanted to you could just source some of those from a car w/ rear end damage and upgrade your setup to that

i've test fit one of those intergraded fog light setup assemblys on my 91 and it looks like it would fit perfect as long as i had both of those+ the grill and the bumper and trim/cover for that car

kyle242GT said:
It's supposed to be a 95 945T. If that's the case, what's the model with the sloped headlights, integrated fogs, black eggcrate grille, and hydras?/QUOTE]

this is the 960/S90 front... didnt have hydras, but i think this is what you're looking for:
_Kyrkanhel.jpg

thats green silver's 745 with lots of body work ;-)

doh .. that sloped front end .. well anyways the fog light front that i was talking about is more slopped than my stock front so that's y i thought haha

oh well

For such a short-spanned model (in the US, at least), the 940 series seems to be the most varied series of all Volvos. They can be had as stripped down as a 740 (base 940), as fully featured as a 960 w/IRS (940 SE), have parts from a 850 (some 1995's), different FI systems (Regina or Bosch), turbos with and without badges and gauges, etc.

The body trim seemed to be no different. Anyways, as I've seen, most of the eggcrate grills with the headlight/foglight combos were in the '91 to '93 models, in both turbo and normally aspirated variants. Most '94-'95 ones I've seen were the basic headlight only setup from '91+.

-- Kane

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Here's what I'm talkin bout
http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17013
but with the eggcrate grille. I'm a newb, but I know the difference between a 7/940 and a 960 :roll: :-D

I'm pretty sure I've never seen a 740 with that setup; I guess I thought that the 760's and 940's all had it.

It's not necessarily a big deal, I'm just trying to understand what I'm after.
*edit - thanks for the reply, Kane, we musta been typing at the same time*
Anyone care to give a blanket recommendation as to what to upgrade to? We're talkin turbo wagon, R134A AC, sunroof, and max reliability as mandatory... new as possible, aforementioned front end, and hydras as desirable. This is a few years out, but I like the idea of keeping my ear to the ground for The Ideal Model in case it pops up.

Last edited:
my mechanic just finished replacing the turbo on an '94 940 turbo with the set-up you're mentioning here (incl the eggcrate grille).
so fro sure '94s had what you're looking for.

My '94 944t looks like the front of that car you posted, with the top monted fogs but no eggcrate. It also has some 15" alloys (well now it has 16" Borbet Type E's) and oddly enough no badging at all except the Volvo and 940 on the deck, helping with the sleeper look. No hint as to the beast that lies within. I searched for several months, and finally located this car with only 72,000 miles (about 6 months ago) at a Jag dealer on trade in. If you are parient you will find just what you want. Best of luck on the search.

Aaron

91-early 94 940Ts all had the egg crate. 940SE, 88+ 760 have the same front end, but with the nasty chrome grille.
16" wheels were standard on most 940T sedans, and optional on most wagons after 91 or 92.
I have the chrome. The best 940 is a 93 IMO. It has the late block, all options unlike the late ones, better colors, egg crate, two airbags, and very often has teh fogs. My neighbor got hit in a mint graphite 93 945T with 60K, absolutely awesome car hands down.

kyle242GT said:
Here's what I'm talkin bout...

like this, right?
car02.jpg

... my '93.

I agree with Kane: most of the later 940 turbos have the front end shown in the picture in the first post. Also more likely to have Aries or some other 15" alloys, rather than Hydras. A '95 might have a glass moonroof, though.

- Brian '93 945T

93s should only have 1 airbag, they got pass side airbag in 94. I like the 93's as well, my girlfriend has a white 93 944 Turbo with the integrated fogs and egg crate, like the original poster was looking for.

Greg

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Brian's image is exactly what I'm after... except not in black :) I had a black car once, never again :) :)

Sounds like a 94 would be the way to go, dual airbags would be a plus. Are you sure the 95's had glass sunroofs? I thought that was a 960 only affair?

Yeah, as mentioned, there were a lot of variations. My wife drives a '93 940 (NA), that has the same front end as the wagon you pictured, only difference being the Aries alloys instead of the Adharas. Her car is the equivalent of my coworker's '92 940GL, which has the head/fog lights, painted lower bumpers and some extra trim bits on the bumper tops.

Sometime in '93, the 940 'GL' and 'Turbo' designations went away, leaving only the '940' badge on the rear. The base model was the '940', the power-everything NA model (formerly 'GL') became 'Option Level I', and the Turbo model became 'Option Level II.' The turbocharged model then became an amalgamation of whatever parts the owner picked. Aries or Adhara 15" wheels, or 16" Hydras, or 17" Polaris for the big spenders. Fog/headlight combos or simply headlights. Chrome or eggcrate grille. Metal or glass roof. I think all uplevel (Turbo) models got the glass roof standard by '95. It was at least optional by '94.

Oh man, that glass roof seals the deal. We were kicking around the idea of putting a 960 glass roof in our 744Ti... that's one of the things The Wife is pretty excited about.

I don't think I'll get my hopes up about the Polaris wheels though :rofl:

Back