• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Fuel injection and you (or what makes the box work?)

linuxman51

Railspeeder Enthusiast #1
300+ Club
Here's what I'm going to do/did. I went and researched the more common MS variants, Dug around in the LH hacking world (interesting stuff), and then went and paid little more than basic homage to other off the shelf EMS systems (they wouldn't tell me what I'd want to know anyway, trade secrets and sh|t). This is what I found, and there follows a discussion on fuel injection, some speculation as to how LH works, and a discussion of how megasquirt works. Things (at least I think) everyone oughta know. This is *NOT* a tuning guide...

LH 2.2
Processor specs:
8-bit cpu
max memory of 4k
ram is either 64, 128, 256 (in volvos its 4k rom, and I *Think* 128 bytes of ram)
table size is 16x16

LH 2.4:
8-bit cpu
16x16 table
8k rom, 256 bytes of ram
20mhz max speed (not likely that it actually ran this)
Capable of addressing 128k of external ram (divided into two segments, 1 for storage one for ops) unlikely that bosch added external ram

MS ecu:
8mhz
32k rom, 512 bytes of ram
8x8 table for fuel and 8x8 table for ignition (currently)
8bit
Features: At least two programmable outputs that could be used as: e-fan control, intercooler sprayer/water injection, converter lock up, shiftlight, nos arming, almost anything that can be turned on.
With a code reflash you can have:
Distributorless ignition and fuel control ,along with the two mentioned outputs, A two step revlimiter has been implemented (think flat shift)
Ignition and fuel control with stock volvo components (doesn?t require fabbing of any triggers, not that this is difficult per-se)
Boost controller as well as an aditional injector controller (or additional injector controller along with water injection)
With the addition of a ?daughter board? one could feasibly have full sequential injection, at the very least one gets

Haltech (E6x):
Rpm increments of 500/1000 rpms
32 point maps based on coolant temp? (website was fairly vauge about that)
Features:
Boost control , Engine control (?) , Electric fan , Fuel pump , Nos arming , Turbo timer Anti-lag, vtec, shiftlight, air conditioning, converter lockup

Electromotive Tec3:
? PC programmable and configurable for 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, cyl. engines and Rotories with a 12 cyl.and 6 cyl dual plug option
? Operate in Open or Closed loop
? Run True Sequential, Phased Sequential or Simultaneous Injection with individual cylinder trim
? Configurable for TBI, MPI, TPI and individual throttle bodies
? Additional Injector Output Drivers built-in.. Run Low or High impedance injectors
? Full 150 mJ of Spark Energy directly to the plugs without misfire
? New Dual Rev Limiters with ?Triple Smooth Technology?.. 1st step retards timing to a negative -12? degrees.. 2nd step cuts coil current in half.. 3rd step coil current and fuel are cut-off.. all three steps occurring within milliseconds!
? Waste Gate (Boost Control), Nitrous Control with up to 4 stage retard available
? Four Programmable GPO?s (General Purpose Outputs) to control or activate VTEC, Shift Lights, Water Pumps and Fans, A/C Compressor, Torque Converter and more.
? New Programmable Adjustable Electronic Tachometer Output
? Uses primarily GM type sensors
? Diagnostic monitoring with codes issued through Check Engine Light
? Easy to install bolt-on Trigger Wheel and Mag Sensor Kits available for many applications

Autronic SMC:
Sequential operation for 2 to 8 cylinder engines.
3D fuel and Ignition maps.
User defined up to 32 RPM and 16 Load sites = 512 sites.
Anti-Lag.
Flat Shift (ver 1.19).
Data Logging.
Software selectable trigger angle.
Support for multi-tooth or missing teeth triggers.
Auxiliary outputs other than fuel pump control
8 cyl engine = 1 (1 PWM output).
6 cyl engine = 3 (1 PWM + 2 On/Off)
4 cyl engine = 5(1 PWM + 4 On/Off)
Auxiliary outputs can be defined for boost control, nitrous oxide, camshaft timing, AC, fan control, idle valve etc...
Available with high current drivers if required.
AutoTune option available.

Motec:
Hard to say, couldn?t install their software (don?t ask) and the site doesn?t really do anything but blow smoke, however I?ve heard tell of something on the order of every 12 rpms

So, there we have a breakdown of the features of the stock fuel injection, megasquirt, and a couple other fairly common (at least in the us) aftermarket engine management systems(EMS?s). I really wish I could have gotten the chip specs for the other EMS?s, but I suspect that this would qualify as a trade secret, altho I?m willing to bet they?re just re-badged off the shelf processors. So what does this all mean? At a glance the stock stuff and ms both appear to be rather dated and minimally functional at best, and in the case of the stock ECU?s its hit or miss as to wether or not they?re programmable. As you can see from the above break down of 2.2 and 2.4, the two are fairly close to each other, and as the comment (note to self if you will) says, its not likely that bosch ran the 2.4 processor at its full speed, and the reason I say this is the 2.4 ecus are not ventilated (much like the 2.2 ecus) and even as late as 1990 a 20mhz processor would put out some decent heat. Also, when you look at what they were moving to and coming from, there really wouldn?t be any reason to run it that fast (altho they might very well have, I couldn?t find any specific info on that). Regardless of the clock speed, you?ve got two fairly limited ecu?s, not in power, but in memory, and its apparent why then volvo chose to use a 16x16 map. Why not larger? Bit math comes into play here, 16 * 16 gives you a map with 256 points on it (which many after market ems makers would scoff at?more on this later) The next largest easily divisible number is 32 (16 is 2^4, 32 is 2^5, by using numbers like that you get nice and very easily calculated numbers that greatly reduce the number of calculations the chip has to do just to look up a given point on a table, basically, you fiddle with the address space in a certain way and you get what you need without having to do anything fancy. This might sound silly to you non-software people, but trust me, it?s a common thing), which would net you a table size of 1024. Assuming a byte per point (it could be smaller, say half a byte) you?ve just soaked up ? of the space available on the 2.2 chip, now you?ve only got 3k within which to stick the runtime routine for the chip, the formulas required to interpolate, the coolant ref values, the rev limit, etc. Now, with megasquirt (and really I can only talk in depth about ms, because as stated before, none of the big ems people wants anyone to know whats under their hood), you?ve got a fair amount larger rom space, and twice the scratch pad the 2.4 processor has. The nice thing about the ms ecu is that the clockspeed=bus speed, so generally the processor doesn?t sit waiting for data to come back either from ram or rom (and I?m told there isnt any significant penalty for retrieving from rom vs ram), so things move on through in a fast mannor. With all this extra space, one might be tempted to ask ?Why only 8x8??. This is a good question (And don?t dare ask it on the mailing list unless you?ve got the very best asbestos on). There are a couple of reasons.. the formula megasquirt uses to interpolate between points on the map is fairly well documented as being ?correct? (and for those of you in the crowd that are going to bitch about it having to calculate in between points, understand your beloved LH has to do the same thing, along with every other EMS, and what sepperates the men from the boys is how well coded & what algorithm they use, again, more on this later). The short reason for this (aside from the stauch defense of the blasters ?it works damnit and I don?t want to have to mess with anything bigger?.. noobs) is at the time of implementation, they didn?t really need anything bigger. I?ll insert a bit of tuning theory in here: understand first, that the 8 rpms points and the 8 map points are not hard coded in the ecu, you pick them.. the idea being that you ?cluster? the rpm points around your torque peak (but but but what about the horsepower peak? F the horsepower peak? There is no such thing as horsepower, it?s a calculated number that has no relevance to engine tuning other than bragging rights), what you?re trying to do is mimic on the map what your dyno chart looks like, and for the area where its changing most (the torque peak) you want a couple extra points close together to get that ?good? tune. The points going up to the peak and falling away from the peak are generally linear, and as such don?t require as much attention. Despite this, I personally believe that a 12x12 or even a 16x8 (16 rpm, 8 map) would be nice, the latter probably becoming tiresome to tune. So why then, doesn?t everyone use this and make things easier on the end user. Couple reasons. Bosch didn?t because there?s a certain amount of overhead in calculating (at least in the mannor the ms guys do it, which is grabbing a certain radius of nearby points and working things out from there), and as one can see, theres a limited amount of space. Also, the larger the map the more accurate the interpolation is, and since the lh stuff got setup once, it wasn?t as big a deal to them to have a bigger map. Then there?s the PR factor (or the big dick factor) MY system has twice the map space of his system. What you should read into this is: I, the end user, now have to tune twice the number of points on the map when I change something. And then some of the systems (motec, iirc) have just an insane number of map points (I think e11 is like this as well), and also something many of the companies have to take into account is emissions, the modern motronics have data points ever 5 or 11 rpms (have fun tuning that, I think I?d rather have a carb).

When you start talking about extras, like programmable outputs, those are for the most part, side effects and or unused pins on the chosen chip, and the type and manor in which they function is related to what type of output on the chip that?s being used (basically its up to the engineers that work for a given company, they tend to use what they know best, so if you could get the info on the chips used, I suspect you?d find that they stick with the family of chips they know best, and anything beyond that is bonus). # of outputs has also started to turn into a pissing contest, in reality, you really only need a couple, Fan control is something I?d rather leave to the tried and true thermostat tied to a relay (and a switch on the dash to override the thermostat) NOS arming is also probably best left up to the organic matter behind the wheel (or maybe not depending..). And on a closing note, 8x8 is not limited to megasquirt, electromotive used to(and might still) use an 8x8 map, and it wouldn?t surprise me if others did as well, the methods employed in the megasquirt system are certainly not exclusive to it nor were they thought up exclusivly by its creators (contrary to what some of the zealots might tell you..).

So why is it so cheap would be the next question people ask and use to ?talk down? about it.. For the same reasons commercial systems are expensive.. theres no warranty, no ?live? tech support, no company overhead, and no rent to pay. Conversely, if you burn it up, its up to you to figure out how, why, and how to fix it, if it doesn?t work in your application, you get to either forge ahead on your own and figure it out, or you can post specifics and others can make recommendations (of course you 2,7and 900 series people don?t have to worry about that :-P). So far that?s worked fine. And a little kernel for those of you who aren?t using electromotive or sds, the vast majority of EMS?s come from australia & europe, so tech support is a long distance call and potentially another language, away?

Thank you....good work. I appreciate the effort you put in to put this together.

I got my MS workin
I got my MS workin
I got my MS workin
I got my MS workin
I got my MS workin
I got my MS workin

Just thought would tell someone
Oh and by the way
Thanks To Kenny Howard because without his help me and many other Volvo going to MSnS owners would be left with nothing but LH and EZK

TerribleOne said:
Damn dogg! phat post. I bet your fingers must be tired :-P

hahaha, nah this was a several day project typed up in word (the forum has a nasty habit of biting me when i try to do big stuff)

roto re me said:
Thanks To Kenny Howard because without his help me and many other Volvo going to MSnS owners would be left with nothing but LH and EZK
Ditto to that! He's the man!

Very nice write up Kenny, there's alot of stuff there that I hadn't really thought about, and alot that kinda just went over my head. Although earlier today I was wondering what it would be like to have a 16x16 map, I think I'd love it! It would take longer to tune, but so what? Perfection is worth more than ease. Think the upgrade to more plots will ever happen?

John

The Aspirator said:
Ditto to that! He's the man!

Very nice write up Kenny, there's alot of stuff there that I hadn't really thought about, and alot that kinda just went over my head. Although earlier today I was wondering what it would be like to have a 16x16 map, I think I'd love it! It would take longer to tune, but so what? Perfection is worth more than ease. Think the upgrade to more plots will ever happen?

John

if someone codes it there will be, its not a limitation of the chip, its a limitation to how its written (and people with their heads stuck in the sand). Really and truly a 12x12 would more than suffice for the current crop of ms's (the only thing that changes the equation would be something like vtec, where you end up with two torque peaks, a smallish one and then a bigger one).
but in terms of a/f, the 8x8 gave me this:
27230181.jpg
(stop looking after about 4700, I had some screwy ignition problem that threw everything off). You've gotta figure tho, there are certain areas of the map (even with the 8x8) that you're never going to see (or very very rarely). No one makes 30psi at 800 rpms :), tuning my map was largly limited to following the boost across the map, and then trying to get the off boost stuff right in a similar mannor. I can see where some of the people who don't want to mess with it are coming from, it does get a little tedious after a while (but most of the time its fun). I've toyed with the idea of going through the code and doing it myself, the problem is in order to do so I'd have to re-write most of the ve table code in order to do so, and thats not really something that gets me pumped (its hard to get pumped over coding assembly tho).
we'll see what happens.

Options

Ignition is the true driver for larger maps in OEM applications. If you look at any published maps Bosch distributes with their books you will notice that the fuel map is much smoother in comparison to the ignition map. It is also nice to not compare the dyno graph(2d) of a car to the fuel map(3d). This totally ignores non wide open throttle areas of car's tractability. Which gets harped about on this board and brickboard even moreso.

While 8 x 8 is sufficient for a fuel only computer, MS&S would definitely benefit from a larger map. The only question then is how you going to tune it. To my knowledge there is no input for knock detection in MS or most EMS aftermarket. Dyno tune for the ultimate tune is almost a requirement. And you might need to go to a shop with a non fixed load dyno.

MS has other limitations. Boris has spoken negatively on several occasions about the professionalism of the hardware design. I am not an expert, but I have had failures on DB connectors on home computers in the past and those weren't put together by a rank amateur(me). Waterproof connectors aren't that expensive, but they would increase the installation cost by $40 or more.

All of these stated problems do not take away from the accomplishment of the first MS board. It did what it was intended for well. With the open community, it also does more than was thought possible several years ago, but you will notice that the next step in the development process is taking a lot longer than anyone thought.

I personally have two MS systems. But for an engine rebuild that I am spending $1000-2000 on, I would not like to rely on a $200 box that I put together.

Motec, EFITechnology, DTA, and Electromotive all have competent systems in the <$2000 range. These guys do provide support and have years of experience. Expensive yes, worth it maybe. I frickin' sound like a salesman.

Motec is a 40 x 21 map (840 points) on their M4 and M400, but most tuners I have talked to leave it at their old standard of 20 x 11 (IIRC). Their new software (M400) is very nice, but their old software(M4) is DOS based and I am not used to that style much anymore.

I would be on the Motec band wagon, but they nickel and dime you for everything. Datalogging, WB, and load maps for options

Thanks for the info Kenny. Very informative.

Fair enough Matt :)

With the dyno chart I wasnt trying to compare my fuel map with what produced power wise, I was just showing the consistency of the system with regards to the air/fuel. Lack of knock detection is indeed something else I would like to see change with ms, and I started researching that this past fall, on the surface it seems to be a fairly simple task: "pop..retard" but unfortuneately its a bit deeper than that (and school interfered). The fuel side of things is cheap, and I find it a little amusing that you don't trust something you put together (don't take that the wrong way, I dont mean it as a cheap shot or a slight on your work), and the connector is indeed a "strange" feature. Not really sure what they were aiming for with that, an econo seal connector m/f setup is only like 20-25 bucks (but thats a topic for a seperate discussion ;) ), i'm sure there was some reason (which left us with those bastard 37/9 pin parallel looking things). The board design might not be optimal, but I dont really see how that would precipitate failure, I'm curious to hear boris's thoughts on that.

But yea, the fuel side is cheap, the ignition side is where things get interesting, and personally I'd rather spend $300 or so on a ms & edis setup and then attach a j&s safeguard and call it good, You gotta think if the megasquirt melts down its not going to set your pulsewidth to 1.1 while you're blasting down the track, its gonna cut off and let you stew about it while you're getting towed back to the pits ;).

btw, with ms & s, its two seperate maps for a total of 128 map points. The purpose here isn't to say "don't buy anything but megasquirt", its more to expound upon ms, and lh, and I would expand that to include other ems's, but that info isn't readily available :). My only arguement is why chip lh when for about the same amount of green you can have a fully programmable setup thats not going to: limit you to a certain size & type of injector, a specific MAF, etc. And it compares nicely with the stock system.

If you want the ultimate EMS, snag the motronic 7.5 setup off of a 2002 audi, anything less than that is just a toy ;)

Very interesting writeup! Good work! To think that in 94 you could buy a 100 Mhz 486 cpu, the motronic 2.4 running at 20 Mhz is higher that I would have thought, although it's an 8 bit cpu compared to a 32 bit 486, but still very interesting!

Now I wonder if I can overclock it! :-P

I know most of you will say go MS, BUT if I bought a chip for my LH 2.4, will there be a larger fuel map than the 16x16 that it's got?

Linuxman, you say to pull the EMS out of a 2002 Audi...

I know of a junkyard that moves about 5 or 6 Audis a week, so if this actually is usefull to a brick owner, I'll look out for one.

BTW, if you know anyone who needs Audi CIS distributors, I've got 2.

Metalgod_Z said:
Linuxman, you say to pull the EMS out of a 2002 Audi...

I know of a junkyard that moves about 5 or 6 Audis a week, so if this actually is usefull to a brick owner, I'll look out for one.

BTW, if you know anyone who needs Audi CIS distributors, I've got 2.

I'm sure you could make it work, but it would take *quite* a while to set it up (its got a data point every 11 rpms from like 50 on up to 8000 or so...)

I suggest the 8*8 map (being only 64 cells of tuneable area) is a step in the wrong direction when compared to the stock LH 16*16 (=256 points which is 192 more points then MS).

Yes it does make a difference. Try using large injectors and 10psi? Guess what? Each one of those 64 cells now has a larger jump to the next cell on the map. Interpolation? Sure, both the stock and MS ecus will do it, nothing magical there, just standard linear inlerpolation. You now have a very coarse map.

Next, tune for 20 psi. Now you have to stretch out those 64 cells even further, making each cell an even larger jump. Perhaps those 64 cells leave something to be desired; something to think about.

TDi244 said:
I suggest the 8*8 map (being only 64 cells of tuneable area) is a step in the wrong direction when compared to the stock LH 16*16 (=256 points which is 192 more points then MS).

Yes it does make a difference. Try using large injectors and 10psi? Guess what? Each one of those 64 cells now has a larger jump to the next cell on the map. Interpolation? Sure, both the stock and MS ecus will do it, nothing magical there, just standard linear inlerpolation. You now have a very coarse map.

Next, tune for 20 psi. Now you have to stretch out those 64 cells even further, making each cell an even larger jump. Perhaps those 64 cells leave something to be desired; something to think about.

If you think its that big of a problem, why don't you go ask the true gurus over on the mailing list.. hasn't been a limitation for me or a bunch of other people yet..

kenny, I think what you are doing here is wrong. why don't you just capitulate and aknowledge the ultimate superiority of the draw-through carbs? data points shmata points you sound like a bunch of computer nerds!!!

i think you should send me an MS&S set up so i can install it and show you how much it sucks
28085365.jpg

Matt, I don't understand the gripe about only being able to tune it on a dyno. Dyno tuning is the only way to do it. On a more expensive ems it is even more the case. Dropping 2k on an EMS without having a dyno set map to go with it is like buying a new computer so you can play pac-man on it.

TDi can crunch the numbers himself ie %tolerance of sensor readings vs maximum potential error in interpolation vs. duty cycle resolution. Compare one system to another that costs 10x more and yeah you'll probably find flaws. Nobody's making you buy it. You can write it off, it's a free country- but I would investigate just what the real margin of error would be - I did and I was suprised :) This board tends to have a lot of people who like to write off mods before exploring them fully though... :roll:

the fastest 4cyl. on earth used megasquirt for their fuel needs (bonneville salt flat car).
If you wanna talk about testing the interpolation, they spun the motor up to god knows how high (1100 cc gsxr motor iirc).

And its kinda funny, everyone knocks it til they try it (I did, you can search back to april/may a year ago).
Is it everything and a box of cheese? No, but I have yet to see something better for the money. Its not all about the fuel either, as a self touting tuner, TDi should know this, I'd love to see what an afc can do with ignition timing on lh 2.4.... or maybe that should read what it can't do with ignition timing.

One other thing one has to mention here, apex'i isnt going to release a "free firmware upgrade" to allow it to hold more maps or bigger maps or what have you, whereas with megasquirt, if you really *must* have a bigger map you can sit down and adjust the code to suit your needs...

balls back in your court bud ;)

bondo: which mike are you refering to?

Back