• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Repairing early 80's wire harnesses

swiftjustice44

Central Coast Brickyard
We've all heard about the insulation issues with the late 70's and early 80's Volvos. Some of us have experienced it, some have seen it and, for many...it is enough of an issue to pass on what would otherwise be a great car. Volvo never admitted there was ever an issue, but they amazingly, came out with new engine harnesses with different part numbers that had new, improved insulation. Unfortunately, they never provided tower harnesses or "brain" harnesses to match. If you got to the JY to find another of these strut tower or through the firewall to ecu harnesses they are likely to be as bad or worse than the one in your car. There really is no option other than build an entirely new harness or patch the one you have. Building a harness from scratch is a royal PITA, but patching one is really pretty straight forward.

I bought a 1984 760T about 3 years ago and just recently sold it. The car is sitting at our shop until the buyer makes the final payment. The IAC has always been an issue with the car. I put a new one in shortly after buying the car without any improvement. The 84 760T use LH2.1 injection. It is essentially part 2.0 and somewhat 2.2 in appearance. It uses a specific ecu and when I opened it up, it smelled burnt. Squinting at schematics showed the IAC circuit was toast. Went ahead and converted the fueling to LH2.2 by re-pinning the AMM plug, and using a 007 AMM and a 541 ecu. Idled fine cold for awhile and then went back to its old tricks. I gave up and clamped the air intake hose almost closed. This effectively stopped the high idle when warm but made the car a little hard to start cold. Not bad here in Texas...but wasn't right, either. Not to mention the buyer wanted to know if he got to keep the hose pliers under the hood! Since I had concluded the issue was probably at the firewall, I promised him I would re-do the wiring there.

My first move was to recover the refrigerant and remove the accumulator/dryer. The firewall grommet is directly below and outboard of the dryer...getting it out of the way greatly improved access. I then disconnected the battery to prevent unexpected surprises! The engine harness had been replaced right before I bought the car and was in good shape. The eight pin multi-connector on the fire wall side was always VERY suspicious. Some one had wrapped each of the 8 wires with electrical tape, wrapped it all together and then smeared red silicone on the junction with the other 2 portions of the brain harness. I felt reasonably certain unwrapping the tape would bring to light why my IAC was not working. I really wasn't prepared for what I found but not really surprised, either. The previous owner was not mechanically inclined (his other car was a Catera!) and had paid a "professional" to do the job. This is what I found under the tape and silicone.
PICT0002-3.jpg

PICT0004-2.jpg

PICT0009-3.jpg

To get even better access to the wires, I pulled the glove box and disconnected the ecu plug. I then pulled the firewall grommet and extra wire, now freed, through and up into the engine compartment where I could reach healthy insulation previously inside the car. I chose to solder and use heat shrink tubing; some people use crimp connectors but I really prefer soldering when it involves anything that involves engine operation. It's permanent and water tight. Unlike crimped connections, soldered joints don't easily pull apart or vibrate loose. I'm fortunate in that I have pieces of harnesses from 3 different Volvos. I was able to get lengths of wire with the same color coding which made things neater.

Basically, what I did was go down each wire until I got to healthy insulation; using your thumbnail will find it rather quickly! In my case, the wire that was even just a few inches inside the fire wall was fine...outside the firewall there was almost no insulation. Then, I went to the spare harness pieces I have and found the appropriate color. Occasionally they had the correct female bullet connector but mostly not. I reused the non-disintegrated bullet connectors and soldered them on to a decent length of wire, fit the connector into the multi-connector and then eye balled the length back to where I was going to splice into the firewall harness wire. From that point, it's just a matter of removing insulation (the following photos shows one of the 8 wires, in this case the green one in the center of the first picture)
1.jpg

Twist the ends together...
2.jpg

Solder...
3.jpg

and, heat shrink...
4.jpg

And, repeat...and repeat...and repeat..... :help:
I found that one of the 2 heater wires going to my O2 was almost completely naked of insulation while hidden inside the factory harness cover. So, I'm nowhere close to being finished.

Some pointers for soldering automotive wiring: Unlike perfect soldering as done on pc's and other delicate electronics...DON'T heat the wires until the solder flows onto them. If you do, the insulation will melt long before the solder flows. Also, your handy piece of heat shrink tubing that you slid onto the wire may very well start "shrinking" before you're ready! I've found the best solution is to pre-heat the gun until the tip smokes and will melt solder. Place the tip onto the joint and simultaneously feed solder to the side of the tip of the gun. It will run down onto the joint and hopefully stop. Flip the splice over to make sure the two pieces are joined. Let the joint cool and then slide the heat shrink over it and use a lighter, torch or heat gun to sel it up. If you have a random stray wire sticking up, coated in solder...take a pair of pliers and gently bend it over. These can either immediately poke through the heat shrink or later on after everything is buttoned up! To the extent possible, try to stagger where you make your splices; if all done in the same area the final product will be significantly larger in diameter than was the case originally, making the job of pulling it all back through the firewall more difficult if not impossible.
The firewall multi-connector is the Achilles heel; all the wiring is crucial AND very close to the turbo and down pipe. If you can do this job the other occasional areas such as headlights, fuel injector harness, etc. are a cake walk by comparison! Good luck!! :party:

Last edited:
Nope. No need. And don't you dare molest that 74 242! That's an extremely rare car!

Last edited:
as the proud owner of a 27 year old volvo 244 ('82 for all you math experts) i want to express my appreciation and gratitude for the writing of this article. as a matter of fact, my lovely lil brick is having and wiring issue right now. it seems another common place for failure is the length of harness that runs underneath the front of the engine, by the crank pulley. this includes wiring for both the charging and ignition circuits. if you feel the urge to start a list of common failure points (which i think would be a kind thing to do) i would strongly suggest mentioning this bit of harness.
thank you again
-Aaron.

ps. i dont usually sound so proper an stuff, im just sooper sleepy and i have taken a lot of cold medicine and im laughing hysterically at what i just wrote.....
im aware that its not actually funny, but i dont care :nod::rofl::omg:

Have you ever cut the sheathing off one of these biodegradable engine harnesses? You'd be surprised if you did.. as the insulation crumbling goes complete, and through the entire harness. Been there, done that! Repairing buys some time is all.

You're quite right. If you'll look closely at the pics, the bare wires are what was under electrical tape and silicone from a previous half-a**ed attempt. The O2 sensor wire I mention was encased in a 2 foot long piece of o.e. sheath. The entire length had no insulation. Interestingly, the other wire is unfazed and doesn't appear to have been replaced.

By repairing I assume you mean replacing ends? I agree, that is only buying time. But, once the engine harness is replaced, the only really critical stuff left is the right tower harness w/ AMM wires (LH2.2 and later, K-Jet runs forever!) and the connecting "brain" harness that comes out of the firewall and immediately connects to the engine harness. It also branches out towards the driver's side with wires for the cruise control pump and down the passenger side tower to the AMM. Since I'm running new wire from healthy insulated wire inside the car, this is a bit more than a patch job.

People, it can be done. It's not impossible, just takes patience. And, while it is true ALL the wiring under the hood has the same insulation, the wiring near the exhaust side definitely suffers the most. When you finish, there's a very good chance your Brick will be a LOT more reliable. At least...from a wiring point of view!:lol:

It's a good writeup ,

I just am saying that the EFI harnesses have alot more insulation crumbling going on that you will miss . I cut the entire black sheathing off one LH2.0 harness I replaced and the entire harness was disentegrated underneath the plastic protective sheathing.

For me that was enough and made me a believer of just updating the harness. I've replaced dozens over the years , btw.

If you can't get the harness anymore , or have the $$ for a new one, or no junkyard access.. then a few $$$ and your time can go a long way, but just be prepared for future wire splicing down the road is all.

as the proud owner of a 27 year old volvo 244 ('82 for all you math experts) i want to express my appreciation and gratitude for the writing of this article. as a matter of fact, my lovely lil brick is having and wiring issue right now. it seems another common place for failure is the length of harness that runs underneath the front of the engine, by the crank pulley. this includes wiring for both the charging and ignition circuits. if you feel the urge to start a list of common failure points (which i think would be a kind thing to do) i would strongly suggest mentioning this bit of harness.
thank you again
-Aaron.

ps. i dont usually sound so proper an stuff, im just sooper sleepy and i have taken a lot of cold medicine and im laughing hysterically at what i just wrote.....
im aware that its not actually funny, but i dont care :nod::rofl::omg:

Pass the Nyquil!! :-P Aaron, as Andysbeta has pointed out, patching on the engine harness itself is a band aid fix at best. If you can find the updated harness, swap it out. Check fellow TB'r Dave Barton's web site for the updated number for your Brick. davebarton.com

Yes, Plasti-Dip sells it in both a brushable liquid as well as the spray. I don't know if it is any different than their product they have had on the market for years or not, but I've used the original stuff to re-new mudflaps, accordian pleated wiper covers and even coated the bottom of my 144's gas tank with it after using Por-15. I'll say this, Plasti-Dip stays where it is applied! Might be good to have a small can of it in the glove box; to get you home if nothing else! Add it to the fuses,pocket screwdriver, fuel relay (for LH models) overdrive relay, flex-ties and pliers!:lol::lol::lol:

yes, I know Its just a temp fix but that's ok because I'll be getting an entire new harness when I switch to lh 2.4 next year :-D
Nyquil pirate approved
ARRGGGGGH

Have you ever cut the sheathing off one of these biodegradable engine harnesses? You'd be surprised if you did.. as the insulation crumbling goes complete, and through the entire harness. Been there, done that! Repairing buys some time is all.

I did this a few years back...
but i just cut the connectors, soldered them to all new wiring, and went on.
worked like a charm :)
Although the wiring i used was a marine grade tinned copper strand, meaning that i spent over $200 just on materials, worth it though.

Back