PDA

View Full Version : SCCA Autocross - Washington DC - July 20

towerymt
06-30-2003, 04:35 PM
Registration is open and there are currently 71 spots remaining, which will go fast. Prepayment is required.

http://www.autocrossers.com/cgi-bin/WDCR4.pl

Cost is $30, or $25 for SCCA members.

NEXT EVENT: http://www.autocrossers.com/cgi-bin/WDCR5.pl

mikep
07-10-2003, 11:42 AM
I may go up to take photos but not run. It'll kill me to watch, but I need to see the DC region run one. I am still without a reasonable car to drive hard. (will be in-between engines on 2 cars, don't feel like flogging the new car)
Besides, all groups are full at this point.
I am going to So. Jersey this weekend, for my son's first autocross, but won't beat on the 245's old wheezing engine too bad. It comes out immediately after we get back.

towerymt
07-21-2003, 02:39 AM
Hey Mike, good to finally meet you. I can't wait to see what the video and/or pictures look like! I felt like I drove poorly and slid the car WAY too much through some of the tight corners, so it will be interesting to see how it looks from outside the car. Since traction was a problem, I tried to put the car very close to the cones and let it drift out as needed. Last time it felt like I was pushing harder and harder each run and making great progress, but today just felt sloppy. I think Ben ran a 64.9 to my 62.2.

I had to run to my work station right after my last (and THE last) run of the heat, so I didn't get a chance to ask you about the block you had. Want to sell it? If I ever do a B23FT, I'll go standard sized pistons in a bored b21 block, so that one would probably suit my needs. If it's a turbo block, I'm definitely interested in it, but if not, I'll have to think about it.

BTW, did I see your name on the Aug. 10th FedEx event already? I signed up tonight, but Ben won't make that event so I'll just have to beat your wagon instead. :wink:

PS: if you take the exit 17, Rt.202 Landover Rd, that leads to Brightseat Rd. which is the one that runs along today's autocross lot. However, the Aug. 10th event will be on a different, and MUCH larger lot, and if you come in on Brightseat Rd., it's about 3/4 around the road that circles FedEx Field.

mikep
07-21-2003, 09:21 AM
Yes. I signed up. I may have a B23 in by then, with an A cam. Should be stock enough for HS.
It's easy to feel sloppy on a slanted course. The camber messes with you bad.
Nice meeting you, too. It was good to see how the event was organized, I would have been confused and possibly late my first time.I assume I am running/working in the order you just ran, since I am in E?I will probably get there a little early anyway, better safe than sorry.
I will post my pictures, just upgraded my pbase account. I usually make them half width for pbase, but I can email you both with full size photos, 3 each. Does your hotmail account have a max on transfer size? if so, It will be better to send one at a time. They are 1200x1600, 420k each.
The B21 is NA, but I have a turbo B21 block that needs to be pulled. It would be a good bore candidate since it is stuck now. Anyway, You can have either.
I also have a 28mm sway bar that I never finished the ends on. I can forge normal ends or heim joint(sideways) ends, or you could make adjustable sliding clamp ends. If you are interested, let me know.

Some of the video of a few cars ends early because they were going slow(boring, nothing to learn) or because I saw you lining up. I also got shaky several times looking away from the camera for you or Ben to hit the course. It had been several years since I shot video, and big shoulder cams are more stable, but you will still be pleased. I am just an AR perfectionist type. The good video of your cars will be worth the hassle.
Maybe I should work on a quick change car-to-car camera bracket.

mikep
07-21-2003, 09:22 AM
Duh. just looked at the site, I run 3rd in the morning.

blkaplan
07-21-2003, 09:56 AM
looked at vids quickly they looked pretty good except for lack of zoom but it could be a benefit in the end with the smooth capture.
28mm sway bar. hmmmm im interested whats the link to your pbase.
Can you email me the pics too

mikep
07-21-2003, 01:49 PM
pbase/mikep
I will post them in a bit. Today is junkyard day. Taking a sweat break right now, for a few.
I need your email addy.

towerymt
07-21-2003, 02:23 PM
I've never seen a single video clip of my car, so I don't care what it looks like! Should be cool.

As far as the run/work order at FedEx, you're always off for the group before your run so you can prepare to drive, then you work right after you drive.

A Drive
B Work
C Off

A Off
B Drive
C Work

A Work
B Off
C Drive

blkaplan
07-21-2003, 03:54 PM
email is blkaplan@gwu.edu