• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Making the garage habitable

derosa

The Rev
A few weeks ago I ordered up some siding and 21 sheets of plywood to redo the garage, earlier this summer I replaced the door. Here's the process so far; work, weather, and car repair has limited my time to get the job done but it should be finished in the next week.

Unfortunately I didn't take pics of the place before I started so these two offer some idea
Google map from before I bought the house. You can see the wood replacing one of the windows, the one next to it is plexiglass and mostly hidden is the cracked window with the bb hole in it. Only one window was instact. All not visible is the paneling installed at the bottom where the door was kicked in or the tagging that appeared just before we bought it.
thehouse.jpg

This shows some more though it doesn't look too bad in this pic. This was well building the raised bed garden.
Picture010.jpg

The new front, the garage door is insulated with an r5 rating and was 100.00, I had to expand the opening from 8x7 to 9x7. In the process I had to displace a lot of carpenter ants that had taken up residency in the woodwork. The last of the old siding is waiting for garbage day when the cans will be empty and I can toss it all in for the following week.
Picture025.jpg

Not visible in this pic is the trench I had to dig along the entire side of the garage. My property is on a hill and erosion filled in along the garage to the point that the bottom 6 inches of the old siding was buried, I dug till 6 inches of foundation was showing. The fence is one of next year's projects, it wasn't too bad till the neighbor's 3 year old and her dog kicked in various sections to get into my yard.
Picture026.jpg

I haven't finished the other side or back yet though as of today the back has only one more piece to install and it is finished, couldn't get it done due to the dark. Also along the back I had to dig out and build a barrier to stop future erosion. Against the garage is the last two 6x6s that I need to install and I should have those in before the snow. In the spring I will pick out all the rocks and plant mint back there which will take over.
Picture028.jpg

Besides having to dig down around the garage to uncover some of the old siding the need to pull off the old siding really slowed down this process. The old siding was fiber board which was rotting and the stuff it was nailed to had to be pulled off by hand it was so brittle. Thankfully the Rochester garbage men will take anything that can fit in a garbage can.

Not shown is the fact that all the walls are now insulated and I only need one more sheet of plywood to finish the inside. Scheduled for next year will be a new roof and skylights so my roof doesn't end up looking like the neighbor's, his has been like this since last Dec. He also asked for my scrap plywood so he could put up exterior plastic since he was getting new renters and the drafts were too much :omg:
Picture028.jpg

Nice! What are you going to heat it with? I am blessed with use of my parent's barn, but it's downside is it's impossible to heat. I have an extra wood stove to put in there, but I'm guessing it would take a day of burning to get the temp up 10 degrees!

I'm figuring on a small electric heater that will run at 50*F, that way its warm enough to work in and not too expensive. I'll wait to heat it till after the first truely freezing night to take advantage of the cold in chipping out the undercoating beneath the rug of my car.

Back