• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Need opinions on this light setup 245

crash81

I had this thought about two days ago and today I made a working mock up of how the lights would look. It's probably been done before but I have yet to see it.
Reminds me of the 7" rounds on the flathoods.

The finished product (if I decide to make it) will be to recess the light into the grille to where they are flush. Also I am considering moving the lights closer to the middle of the grille by about a 1".

The beam is in a good position, pointed directly forward in a tight beam just above the low beam. Should be nice with some yellow lights or maybe even some low temp. HID lights

Thoughts? Opinions? Good or Bad? All are welcome....

mini-PICT2167.jpg

mini-PICT2166.jpg

mini-PICT2162.jpg

mini-PICT2164.jpg

Looks good, like early '80's 240 accessory catalog material. When these are recessed flush, they'll look quite nice IMHO. A matte black bezel ring to dress them up would be the finishing touch.

I'd vote for moving them in toward the center a bit.

I'm a big fan of yellow-tinted fog lights, but I'm not sure these should be tinted at all. (I tinted my under-the-bumper 240 fog lights with yellow Lamin-X and they look really good to me, as well as being better in the fog than white).

Nice work. Good luck with the fabrication and modification this will need.

You should take photos of each major step and write-up a tutorial for people who might want to try this.

I personally don't like it
The round extra light would look better just sticking out of the bumper like fog lights
But hey it's just IMO and it has at least the privilege of being original

They need to sit flush with the grill, not protruding out. Otherwise it's pretty cool IMO.

Hey Neil! It's been awhile.

I take it this is the 245 Classic you stole? How has it been going?

I think if you moved the lights in an inch or so and mounted them flush like you were saying they would look better. Have you considered rectangular lights like in some GT grills? Or do you prefer the rounds?

I don't know if you saw the thread, but I got my wagon running. Thanks again for your help, we should hang out some time.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=191460

-Eli

Looks OK. If recessed into grille, I'd consider moving them toward ctr of grille too. Grille slats may be a problem when cut though. I did mine R Sport rally Style, but it requires drilling holes i bumper.Are those Hella 500s? Also ,you can wire them with BOTH a separate swicth for the lights, and where they will dim with the OEM headlites if you use 2 switches. I did mine that way. I used a fogite switch but used a rear fog switch lense in it to distinguish from the others. Thisway you can have only DL on(elude mode) or with OEMs on too. Works nicely.

I think I have the same lights or very similar ones, I was just going to mount them to the bumper by drilling holes, but I'm interested how this turns out if you decide to do it.

I actually like the look, once you have them recessed I think it'll look rather nice, as far as moving them inwards a bit, dunno about that because I happen to like the distance they are at. it really does remind me of a early factory option

I think they should be on top of the bumper. I just don't think the front end looks balanced with those lights in the grill. For it to look good I think the lights need to be on the bigger side and closer together. Here are some pics for inspiration, I stole them from Dirk242:
dsc04234jy9largemediumgo0.jpg

dsc03552ld6je9.jpg

Also how Volvo did it:
024.jpg

I've pondered recessing lights into the bumper myself, kinda like on this Saab:
stig_blomqvist_rally99.jpg

I am very surprised to see all the different comments. It must come down to gut feeling. Mine is that there is something wrong with the perportioning of the lights.

I like the look of the the Hella lights on the front of the 240 but something is just wrong with this setup. I think that the lights are just to small. The stock light just overpowers the front and makes the Hellas look weak. Bigger is the way to go in my mind.

The car in the pics above is not the car that will receive this treatment. The +T is going to be on the receiving end but as it's stored for the winter so I used the WIP.
mini-PICT1234.jpg

Maybe i should just by a set of Hella 500 or 4000s and call it a day. The idea was good but I don't think I will be fully happy with the results.

I really like this look. And that was factory? Any more pics? Are they 4000s? 8"?
024.jpg

My Hella 500FF's FAR OUT SHINE the stock lites on hi beam & fogs on together!! Literature says 1800 ft and they have about 20 ft side(off the shoulder of road) view too. I have driven with only the hellas on & see way better than OEMs on hi beam. The FF stands for freeform lense, and seems to be quite a bit better than regular 500s. If your driving lites are dim, make a better ground/and or use a relay if not already.

I think they should be on top of the bumper. I just don't think the front end looks balanced with those lights in the grill. For it to look good I think the lights need to be on the bigger side and closer together. Here are some pics for inspiration, I stole them from Dirk242:
dsc04234jy9largemediumgo0.jpg

dsc03552ld6je9.jpg

Also how Volvo did it:
024.jpg

I've pondered recessing lights into the bumper myself, kinda like on this Saab:
stig_blomqvist_rally99.jpg

+1

and here is another pic for ya...

24519.jpg

Personally, i like the lights spaced out a bit as shown.

Back