• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

is this legal???

The Dude

i was just wondering if anyone knew legalities on indicator lights and such... i was thinkin of making a frame( or even design) to snazzy up the ugly rear tail lights on my 240. I've seen dodges with the simble blocking most of the light but i was wondering if there is any limits to the area that must be showing or anything like that. thanx for your time

here in ca, the cops will write up anything non-stock. tech though, it has to do with visability at certain distances, and the amount reflective, if you can prove that, here you're fine. most people here fine that more trouble than its worth, unless they're real arnry. check your local library for the state codes.

as for blinking lights, white/yellow/orange are the legit colors. Speed doesn't matter. As long as the light is visible, then you should be fine.

Lights are a state law issue, though since cars are sold in all 50 states with the same lights, the laws are pretty similar. They may differ when it comes to custom lights. You should be able to do some online research at your state website. The laws you need to review may not be statutes; they may be administrative rules promulgated by your department of motor vehicles or similar state department (often a subsidiary of the state department of safety or similar). If in doubt or if you need more help with the rules, stop by a few inspection stations until you find someone knowledgeable who will help you or point you in the right direction. You might also get answers from the department of motor vehicles or similar, but will likely spend some time trying to find someone who can help you.

Good luck.

Philip Bradley

http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?fuseaction=title&title=46
RCW 46.37.100
Color of clearance lamps, side marker lamps, back-up lamps, and reflectors.

(1) Front clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.

(2) Rear clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color.

(3) All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle shall display or reflect a red color, except the stop lamp or other signal device, which may be red, amber, or yellow, and except that on any vehicle forty or more years old, or on any motorcycle regardless of age, the taillight may also contain a blue or purple insert of not more than one inch in diameter, and except that the light illuminating the license plate shall be white and the light emitted by a back-up lamp shall be white or amber.

you'll find everything dealing with whats allowed and whats not in there... theres one for every state. If you find something they didnt address, chances are it would get by in court, but remember if theres any way to remotely associate it with another law, the officer has the right to "use their discretion"...

Last edited:
Back