PDA

View Full Version : Jersey, NY, and PA meet?

ptouch20
06-27-2003, 11:15 AM
hey people...we gotta get together sometime next month before i take my car off the road for repairs and mods. Any ideas? track? who's in?
-pete

Anonymous
06-27-2003, 02:08 PM
Well, its about friggin' time!!! :lol: Yes, by all means, count me in. I live in the NW Phila. suburbs. I've attended a few Volkswagen GtGs in the area (my Wife drives an `03 Golf) and have been waiting for a local Volvo event. I would have attended the VSA "covered bridge tour" this past May, but we had a camping trip planned that weekend. Any ideas to where or when you'd like to do this??

mikep
06-27-2003, 05:38 PM
I go to Phil. area autocrosses all the time, we could meet at one of those.
(well, I wish all the time. I go occasionally.)

Anonymous
06-30-2003, 03:13 PM
Hi mikep. I used to like going to check out the local autocross action. I haven't been to a local one in quite a while. The Duryea hillclimbs in Reading, Pa. are coming up soon. Late August, I think. There used to be at least 1 Volvo running the coarse every year. It was a blue/white 142. Anyway, yet another possiblity for a local GtG.

mikep
06-30-2003, 05:25 PM
Good call!
Duryea is nice.

hockey930
06-30-2003, 10:59 PM
I am in Moorestown NJ wich is like 20 min away from philly. I will be here for a few weeks. I am in if there is a meet.
let me know
Eamonn

Andrew9578
06-30-2003, 11:49 PM
i'm in middletown NJ and would be came for anyplace around NJ PA OR NY......give me a heads up if you dicide to meet

Andrew

Zee
07-15-2003, 04:22 AM
The Philly chapter of SCCA is holding two autocross events very soon:

Aug. 3 @ Northampton County Community College, Bethlehem, PA

Aug. 10 Nazareth Speedway, Nazareth, PA (if you behave, I'll tour you past Mario Andretti's home)

We could fun and run all in one meet.

Some other dates @ Nazareth are 8/30 & 31 plus 9/28

http://autox4u.com/philly/phillysolo.htm

Don't believe we need to be SCCA members to run, but I'll check.

Zee
07-15-2003, 04:25 AM
Hi mikep. I used to like going to check out the local autocross action. I haven't been to a local one in quite a while. The Duryea hillclimbs in Reading, Pa. are coming up soon. Late August, I think. There used to be at least 1 Volvo running the coarse every year. It was a blue/white 142. Anyway, yet another possiblity for a local GtG.

I just took video of that car this past weekend running Giant's Despair Hillclimb in Wilkes-Barre, PA. Also a red PV

Where/how can I post video?

Anonymous
07-15-2003, 08:04 AM
Hello Zee! Thanx for not letting this thread die such an early death. I'd love to join you on the 10th, but my daughter's birthday party is on that day. Aug. 3rd looks promising though. My in-laws live in Slatington(not too far from Bethlehem) so I might be able to coax the Wife & kids to the auto-x.

mikep
07-16-2003, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I might do one of those.
Here are my possible runs:
July 27, Boeing
Aug. 3, Atco or Northampton CC
Aug. 10, Nazareth or DC-Fedex
Aug. 17, Boeing or(more likely) Atco
Aug. 31, Boeing
Sept. 14, DC or Boeing
Sept. 21, Atco
Sept. 28, Nazareth
There are more runs through November, and usually a winter series.

Naz and North. are more of a ride for me.
I never know for sure until I get in the car at 4:30am if I'm really going.
I leave at 5:15 for the others.

towerymt
07-16-2003, 06:08 PM
I would consider driving up for something in south/east PA. There's supposed to be some big DC area get together around august 9-10, but I haven't seen any decision on a location yet.

Zee
07-17-2003, 06:25 AM
I would consider driving up for something in south/east PA. There's supposed to be some big DC area get together around august 9-10, but I haven't seen any decision on a location yet.

Mike,

Check here for WDC region Solo II events:

http://www.scca.org/interactive/regions.html

Zee
07-17-2003, 06:31 AM
Here's my personal schedule of events in which Ill be participating with my '89 740 tic in auto-x. If any of you would like to meet, see me at:

7/26 -- Lycoming Mall "Ford Event"

8/3 -- Northampton Co. Community College, Bethlehem, Pa

8/10 --- Nazareth Speedway

Hope to see you between "seat time" sessions

Anonymous
07-17-2003, 09:38 AM
I'll be there in spectator mode. I'd like to participate, but my 245 is almost completely stock and 185TR14s don't take well to swingin' around cones (aka: maximum sidewall flex :rofl: )

mikep
07-17-2003, 10:22 AM
SL8, just show up. I personally would autocross anything.
It's not how you place, it's hanging and improving and just being in something different.
If you really want to run and refuse to abuse the stock tires, I have a set of 185 70 Michelins on steel wheels I can bring for you. Just say which event, I will tell you if I'm attending or not.

Mike Towery, let me know if you want to meet and head up to one together, I usually go up 13, but we could meet near Wilmington.

Zee, I'll see you at a couple for sure.

Zee
07-18-2003, 12:54 AM
I'll be there in spectator mode. I'd like to participate, but my 245 is almost completely stock and 185TR14s don't take well to swingin' around cones (aka: maximum sidewall flex :rofl: )

Come anyhow. It's all about improving driving skill, not beating the car into submission. You'd most likely be in H-Stock class, or streep prepared with a turbo. Means nothing. Just learning how to drive smoothly.

Zee
07-18-2003, 12:57 AM
Zee, I'll see you at a couple for sure.

Great!

I realized I can't wait any longer until most of us can agree when/where to meet. My brother and I want to get into driving Solo I and we just need "seat time" versus "meet time".

towerymt
07-18-2003, 04:37 AM
I've done every Washington DC region Solo II event this year, and I'll be at FedEx Field in Landover, MD this Sunday to run the 6th event of the year (5 + 1 national tour).

Solo I requires a roll bar, right? Which car will you commit to for those events? I would also like to try those since they run at Summit Point in WV, but not until next year at the very earliest. I think I would wait until after I had some sort of turbo engine that would bump me to Street Mod so that I could legally remove the rear seat and do a roll bar/cage.

Zee
07-18-2003, 04:58 AM
I've done every Washington DC region Solo II event this year, and I'll be at FedEx Field in Landover, MD this Sunday to run the 6th event of the year (5 + 1 national tour).

Solo I requires a roll bar, right? Which car will you commit to for those events? I would also like to try those since they run at Summit Point in WV, but not until next year at the very earliest. I think I would wait until after I had some sort of turbo engine that would bump me to Street Mod so that I could legally remove the rear seat and do a roll bar/cage.

Roll cage, fire control system, kill switch, flame proof clothing, Snell 95 or higher auto racing helmet (no motorcycle helmets), possibly a license, but maybe that is for club events (i.e. wheel-to-wheel racing)

We don't have a car (and we have even less money). I am talking to a couple in NE Pa who are quite into this and have several cars for sale. It would be chealper to buy one ready to go than to build from scratch.

Otherwise, I'd prep my '84 244GL, now that I have a M46 for it. Will probably auto-x that one after that.

V8 conversion would be good, better than turbo, I feel.

mikep
07-18-2003, 09:23 AM
Oh, on the class for turbo, GS is the turbo Volvo class, as long as it's not higher than stock boost, and no other mods, you're good.
Front sway bar and exhaust after cat are free.
Zee is right. Just show and go. There is a class for you.

hockey930
07-19-2003, 12:04 PM
I have never done any kind of autocross or real race before. I am dieing ti get an and start, I am would like to attend the meet on the 3rd or the 10th is this a good idea?
Eamonn

mikep
07-19-2003, 04:15 PM
It's a very good idea. Atco raceway, Route 534, Aug. 3rd. See you there.