• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

bored, broke made a grill

n xntrx volvo

had this stock
wNDQwOTU0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

had this of a parts car i had

wNDQwOTUxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

tore them apart from the shells

wNDQwOTQ5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNDQwOTUwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

trimmed the 240 shell, so that the inside matched the curve of the 740
and stripped the paint of the 740 shell

pic together

wNDQwOTQ0NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNDQwOTQzNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

glued them together, then used filler to take care of the gaps

wNDQwOTUyNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

painted it up with trim paint, leaving a little overlap onto the 240 grill to cover up, and match the look of the doors.

all together

wNDQwOTQ3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNDQwOTQ1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

wNDQwOTQ2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

what ya think?

good job!

i love it! i think that it would be too wide since my euro grill was too narrow for the us plastic lamps - so it might not work with the big euros.

if e-codes are wider, you should be able to just use a 740 grill as-is. the grill section on mine was about 1/2" wider and 1/4" taller, meaning mods were ness.
i note on why i did this over the plowery mod, next time your at a new car show, look at the grills. a luxury car or one that the manufact wants you to veiw as "refined", the grill will be flush with the shell. on a car were they want you to view it as aggressive or macho, the grill we be set back from the shell.
might be a big trouble to go to for such a small design cue, but i had the time.
-Aaron B.

that looks amazing.

I have a 740 eggcrate grille in the mail right now for my 240, if i can get up the confidence I might try that mod instead. I might PM you for more instructions.

john

its easy, i used a rotozip for the large areas, a angle grinder to get the shape, the 240 does require a good amount trimmed from the bottom to match up. use an exacto knife for fine tunning. a flat screw driver is needed to push the center out of the retaining clip/plugs, if you push them up from the bottom, they can be reused. for glue, i used gorilla glue, even though my acrylic glue (#16) would've worked better. for fininshing bondo spot filler, cuz it'll never match up exactly perfect. for paint black trim paint (any large auto store), masked off, 1/4-1/2 away from grill, since the front will be curved, so a little thicker here, will splitt the diff visually. i still need to finish the mounting tabs, more later.
fyi, if you dont feel like taking on something like this, plowery does have info on his site to mount the 740 grill directly in the 240. its pretty close, looks good, just not for me.
-Aaron
link stolen from towerymt on doing a basic 240/ 740 grill swap http://www16.brinkster.com/towerymt/volvo/eggcrate.txt

Last edited:
Been there, done that got the T shirt.
2806.jpg

It does look great. I saw a few 940s in Italy with that grill combo from the factory.
Nice work. Thats going to look great on a 240

Last edited:
The US lights are shaped a little different, as I recall. The bottom sticks out farther, so they're raked back at more of an angle. I think the e-codes are "flatter", or more perpindicular to the ground, so the 740 Turbo grille actually looks better with e-codes (not to mention the e-codes look better than any US lights). Yes, I've tried both combos plus the euro turbo eggcrate grille, which rulez all.

Nice grille mod. George @Swedespeed built a grille like that from 240 and 740T grilles for the "project 245" which has since been scrapped as a project car. I may have some pictures. Basically he took the rim off the 740 grille, heated the eggcrate part with a heat gun and bent it slightly to match the curve of the 240 grille, then put the 240 grille rim (painted silver) on the 740 center (black). Looked good on the silver car.

update

cut up the 240 grill for its mounting tabs
wNDQzOTQ2NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

cut them off, then grinded flat, also cut'em down a little to fit in the 740 shell. cut slots in them to allow for fine tunning.

wNDQzOTQ4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

the mounts on the top of the 740 shell, were ground flat. also put slots in(not pictured) perpendicular to those in the 240 tabs. the underside support dirrectly under the 740 tab had to be clearance for a bolt.

wNDQzOTQ3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

the lower mount went in directly through the shell/ grill retainer hole in the center.

finished pics of the grill w/ mounts

wNDQzOTQ1NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

and installed

wNDQ0MDA3NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

and

wNDQ0MDA4NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

it fits alittle far away, maybe 1/2 too far out for my tastes. easily adjusted for with the slots, but i'm sick of messing with it for awhile.
mike, i noticed the 740 grill was narower than the 240 by 1/2, if you curved it more, would that increase the gap? oh well, more than one way to skin a cat.
late
-Aaron B.

Last edited:
Back