• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

potential rub issues with 17x7 +1" offset?

Freq

I need to get some new wheels and I'm considering getting these and a set of 1" adapters to change my bolt pattern to 5x144.3. I'm concerned about rubbing when I turn, or if they'll outright hit the fenders. The tires I'm looking to get are 205/40XR17, and I'm just curious if anyone else is running a similar setup. My car is currently on factory suspension with 2 coils knocked off the front and 2.5 off the rear.

Edit: I'm waiting for my room mate to text me back with my tire size, but I did some maths in the mean time to estimate the difference in diameter between my current setup and the new setup.
205 / 40 ZR 17 = 23.5
185 / 70 R 14 = 24.2
Difference = -0.7

The offset of the 14s that are on it right now should be 25mm, right? These wheels are 40mm, so that's a 15mm difference. With that, plus the +1" from the adapter, my wheels should sit 0.41" further out than they currently do. If my tires clear fine right now, I shouldn't see any issues with these bigger wheels?

Last edited:
First of all, those wheels are skinny. Second of all, the tire size you're talking about is tiny and worthless. If you're sticking with that wheel size(7" wide), get 215/45-17 tires which is basically a known standard size for these cars that fit without issue. If you really want, you can go with 205/45-17s.

1" spacers will make it all work out just fine.

If 7" is skinny then what should I be running? 8"? 9"? Or wider in the back than in the front?

7.5 or 8" is a good daily size for awesomeness. 7" is better than what you have for sure, but wider will look better and reduce squirm for faster responses. Then again, wider is heavier... My Tethys are 7.5" and a 225 tire is about square on them. I'd rather the Tethys be 8.5" wide and use the same size tires, haha.

Even sized all around will be the most balanced, but if you do go with a staggered setup it will LOOK more cool. I'd still probably run the same size tires front and rear even on the staggered setup though, depending on how I want the car to handle and how much power it's making.

I'm setting this up for dift + daily driving so I'm trying to balance everything out. First and foremost I need to get these 14s off; these 70% sidewalls aren't doing anyone any favors. :\

Half of me is hoping they rub so I'll have to wide-body the car <3

You will be kicking yourself if you spend nearly the same amount of money to get a tire and wheel setup that are a little narrower than the car wants... Try to get a 225's on a 7.5 or 8" rim... The wider tires make a huge difference in how good the wheels will look on your car... I like those wheels though, do they come wider?

edit: doesn't look like they do... But you could still put a 225 on a 7" rim... These are similar looking, but that konig is quite reasonablly priced:

http://www.wheeldude.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5579

Last edited:
If they do they don't sell them at Discount Tire :\ I'm having a hard time finding wheels I like that aren't $350-900, though.

215/45/17 is a better choice and on 17x7 ET1, it will fit. Might require fender lip rolling.

I've run 7" wheels at negative offset on my 240. I think you can make it work.

205/40/17 are really short. I've used this size before, breifly (tires were free):

93619952.jpg

225/45/17 would also work, but may require a little more fender lip rolling. I don't think it will be a problem though. The 740 isn't that tight on clearance like the rear of a 240 can be.

Best tires available right now, and those wheels aren't bad either. I don't know how they'll look on the 700, but I know I like the look of the wheels... :)

Welp, I get paid tomorrow, then I'll probably buy them a few days later. Gotta get those adapters, too. **** I'm gonna be so poor.

You can probably ask them to order them in so you don't have to deal with shipping, etc. Or maybe they'll charge you. Just ask. And, do you already have adapters? What offset are those 7.5" wide wheels?

The offset is 45mm. I don't have the adapters yet, I have to order them.

They offer free shipping and a $50 discount for ordering online. I went to their main page (discounttire.com vs discounttiredirect.com) and they didn't even have any 17x7.5 wheels, at least in my bolt pattern (5x144.3).

I'm setting this up for dift + daily driving so I'm trying to balance everything out. First and foremost I need to get these 14s off; these 70% sidewalls aren't doing anyone any favors. :\

Half of me is hoping they rub so I'll have to wide-body the car <3

Okay. Hold on. If you want to do WIDE body for 7" wide wheels you have your priories wrong. 10" wide however, would be cool. Plan within your means.

Back